Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Okay,

So I have my G4 17 PB plugged into my LaCie 500GB FW 800 (Extreme) drive. At first everything's fine but recently, on boot, the drive (which is not being used as the book drive) fails to mount.

If I go to disk utility I can select the drive and mount it by hitting the 'mount' key. With that done everything's fine.

What's up? Why won't it mount automatically? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Penman said:
Okay,

So I have my G4 17 PB plugged into my LaCie 500GB FW 800 (Extreme) drive. At first everything's fine but recently, on boot, the drive (which is not being used as the book drive) fails to mount.

If I go to disk utility I can select the drive and mount it by hitting the 'mount' key. With that done everything's fine.

What's up? Why won't it mount automatically? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps the filesystem on that drive is corrupt somehow as to prevent automatic mounting? You can check the logs in Console to verify this. You should check the disk with Disk Utility to see if the filesystem is okay. If it isn't, tell Disk Utility to repair the problem, then repeat until Disk Utility no longer tells you there are problems. After this is done, enable journaling on the drive (if it isn't on already) to further protect it against future filesystem damage (enabling journaling can only be done in Panther).

Penman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Perhaps the filesystem on that drive is corrupt somehow as to prevent automatic mounting? You can check the logs in Console to verify this. You should check the disk with Disk Utility to see if the filesystem is okay. If it isn't, tell Disk Utility to repair the problem, then repeat until Disk Utility no longer tells you there are problems. After this is done, enable journaling on the drive (if it isn't on already) to further protect it against future filesystem damage (enabling journaling can only be done in Panther).

Disk utility reports no problems on the volume when checked. It was the first thing I tried. Journaling is on (and has been since the drive was set up). Any other ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.