Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Oregon
I have Mac Mini 1.66 Intel 2006 OS X 10.4.11 with CD-R and DVD Player that won't boot properly into single user mode using a IBM PC keyboard. I have tried the alt-s, windows key-s and control-s key combinations. from the mac keyboard hints sheet located on this web site.
I have also tried to boot with key combinations from the mac mini manual with no success. I have also tried to simply insert the install CD/DVD for MAC OS X 10.4 that came with the computer and start the computer with various key combinations and the cd/dvd drive will not boot.

What do I need to do to be able to accomplish these tasks with the PC/ Windows keyboard.

:mad:
Frustrated at the boot prompt!​

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I believe that the right and left alt keys are different, the control and windows keys may be as well. So I'd try both right and left versions of each key.

greedyhands

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
the window key is actually command, so Alt and command are in different places on the keyboard. I would certainly try several different combinations, as I have experienced the same thing. I can't remember what exactly I did to get it o work, but it had to do with trial and error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.