Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
Can I pause Handbrake during a rip, take that DVD out and insert a blank DVD to burn a project I have on my desktop, and then re-insert the DVD I am ripping, and then resume the rip?

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
Copy the DVD video_ts folder to your computer first? Then use that copy on the computer instead of the physical DVD.

Interesting...so if I wanted, I could copy over as many of those folders over from my DVDs as I wanted and set Handbrake up to just keep ripping them one after another?

PS - I'm already 90 percent done with this rip but I need to burn a quick DVD for tomorrow morning and there's still like 3 hours left to finish ripping, (which would put me somewhere around the 1am range) that's my whole reasoning of wanting to pause

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting...so if I wanted, I could copy over as many of those folders over from my DVDs as I wanted and set Handbrake up to just keep ripping them one after another?

PS - I'm already 90 percent done with this rip but I need to burn a quick DVD for tomorrow morning and there's still like 3 hours left to finish ripping, (which would put me somewhere around the 1am range) that's my whole reasoning of wanting to pause

You would have to use Fairmount or Mac the Ripper to copy them to your hard drive.
What I do is rip 4-5 Dvd's to my hard drive then setup Handbrake to encode them one after another.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I don't think so because when you re-insert the disc it would try and rescan the DVD.

Handbrake only tries to automatically find a disc when you first open it - every other time you have to manually open the Source menu and locate the disc.

@OP: I've paused and ejected discs halfway through rips and reinserted them and it picks up where it left off perfectly, never had a problem with it.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
You would have to use Fairmount or Mac the Ripper to copy them to your hard drive.
What I do is rip 4-5 Dvd's to my hard drive then setup Handbrake to encode them one after another.

Cool...how long does it normally take to rip to your hard drive? I usually just insert the DVD, choose it as the source in Handbrake, and away it goes. Usually takes about a full day to rip and have it ready to watch via AppleTV.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Cool...how long does it normally take to rip to your hard drive? I usually just insert the DVD, choose it as the source in Handbrake, and away it goes. Usually takes about a full day to rip and have it ready to watch via AppleTV.

With Mac the Ripper 15-20 minutes to the hard drive then encoding with Handbrake (G5 iMac - 12 hours per disc / MacBook 1 hour per disc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.