PDA

View Full Version : AirPort, Netgear, and PowerBooks - oh my!

ColoJohnBoy
May 5, 2004, 04:55 PM
At the coffee shop where I work we have a Netgear GRH614v4 802.11g wireless router for our customers to connect through. Just today (and never before) I cannot use my PowerBook to connect to the internet through it! It detects the network just fine, but no data will transmit over the wireless. It's not the modem, as our hard wired computers connect just swimmingly (I'm using one of them as we speak) and I doubt it's the router because it's still sending out a signal. No customers have come in, though, to use the WiFi, so I can't be certain.

In the meantime, does anybody have any ideas of what to do? The router is loaded with the latest firmware available, the connections are, etc. Any help is much appreciated.

Abstract
May 5, 2004, 07:21 PM
And nothing is different between today and yesterday? Did anyone play with the router? If it has always worked before, there really is no other reason I can think of for this unless someone played around with it.

Go back tomorrow and try again, i say. Check to see if you're picking up a signal whatsoever.

aricher
May 5, 2004, 08:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my Netgear router - I figured out that my network settings panel had to have "Airport" reading at the top level.

Under "Show" - Network Port Configurations I moved Airport to the top level and deselected Ethernet, Modem and Internal Modem.

Under "Show" - Airport - I selected "a specific network" and selected "Netgear" in the "Network" pop up.

After a log-out and back in I have not had any more problems at all - kinda a hassle - trying to find out the answer from Netgear as to what's up.

Oh yeah - I am using the Netgear WGT 624.

ColoJohnBoy
May 6, 2004, 12:44 PM
When you say you moved AirPort to the top level and deselected all the rest, what exactly do you mean? I can't figure out how to move anything in that menu.

In any case, I set the preferences to automatically select the WiFi network here, logged out and back in, yet it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

aricher
May 6, 2004, 01:44 PM
Go to "Show' then "Network port Configurations" then just click and drag whatever you want into whichever position you want. By putting Airport at the top level your computer will see that first and not try to log in via Ethernet.

When I select "Show" then "Airport" I have the "Airport' tab set to "Automatic" and TCP/IP set to "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP" I DO NOT have anything else in this panel - no DND #s or anything else.

Give it a shot and get back to us.

iBook
May 6, 2004, 03:00 PM
I had a similar problem. The folks at RoadRunner had me disconnect the power from the modem for 2 minutes and then plug it back in.

Never suspected the modem because my wireless router was working a-ok and my iBook indicated it was receiving a full signal. Safari and Mail would launch as normal and then just kind of park, not indicating any trouble but not particularly doing anything either.

ColoJohnBoy
May 6, 2004, 03:09 PM
I tried all those different settings and adjustments, and nothing worked. I know the modem works, because I''m connected to the internet through it right now (hard wired, of course). I had tried unplugging it and all that anyway, but to no avail. Another customer in the shop isn't having any problems with wireless, but he's using a Dell (shudder). I don't have any problems with my network at home at all. Bah! Kind of annoyed right now.

gekko513
May 6, 2004, 05:03 PM
Open a terminal window and type 'ifconfig' when "connected" through airport. What does it say in the en1: section?

ColoJohnBoy
May 6, 2004, 05:17 PM
Open a terminal window and type 'ifconfig' when "connected" through airport. What does it say in the en1: section?

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::20a:95ff:fef4:8cf8 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:0a:95:f4:8c:f8
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect

Hehe - Have fun with that one!

szark
May 6, 2004, 05:28 PM
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::20a:95ff:fef4:8cf8 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:0a:95:f4:8c:f8
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect

Hehe - Have fun with that one!

I've actually had problems with my Netgear router whenever IPv6 was enabled, so you might try disabling that in your network settings.

ColoJohnBoy
May 6, 2004, 05:37 PM
Just tried that, and still nothing.

What irks me is that it's probably something blatantly simple and obvious, yet I won't be able to figure it out until after my commission to a mental institution.

gekko513
May 6, 2004, 06:20 PM
Strange ... ifconfig looks OK ...

Try 'ping 192.168.0.255' preferably when some other computers are connected as well. Look for replies from other computers. This will tell you if you are able to communicate on the local network.

Try 'dig macrumors.com'. This will try to look up the IP-address of macrumors.com and if you get the answer 64.62.137.66 it means that your DNS setup works fine.