Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I currently have a 2.4Ghz 20" aluminium iMac but think I want to downsize to a notebook once snow leopard is released (hopefully soon but there is no rush). I want to downsize so I don't need a desk in my room for a computer, and the ability to take my mac anywhere if I had a notebook.

If i were to buy now, I would go for the 2.4ghz MacBook or the 2.4ghz MacBook Pro. I guess I figure what is an extra £250 if I'm spending that much anyway. That's is not to say saving money isn't appreciated. But my question is, will I miss the size of the screen on my iMac? And will the MacBook pro help with that? I know I don't need the extra graphics gained with MBP, as I'm not a gamer or graphics guy.

So should I save the money and go for the MB, which would also be more portable? Spend a little extra for a larger screen and portability? Or stick with my iMac? There may be an iMac for sale soon ;)

Thanks

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
You'll miss the screen resolution, but you can get over it. You won't be able to open up windows as big as you want, but you don't need that much space if you are doing basic things like web browsing and listening to music.

The 20" iMac has a 1680x1050 screen resolution.
The MacBook has a 1280x800 and the MBP has a 1440x900 resolution.

I was in a similar situation as you are and I ended up getting a MBP, because I just really couldn't get used to the 1280x800 resolution. The 1440x900 was somewhat small too, so I bought an external display whenever I am at home. I still have the portability of a laptop and the display resolution of a 24" screen when I'm at home.

o2xygen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
You will miss it, I work on a 24" cinema display and coming home to a 13" macbook is a bit sad, I cant really do any work on it, flash/photoshop, I can do some gaming, but its a bit of a pain.

I say get the 2.0 alu MB and spend the extra on a nice 20" screen. I know it defeats the purpose of getting rid of your desk, but having a 13" screen fulltime is really not a lot of fun.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Cheers for the replies so far. I have a 26" LCD tv in my room so I could always connect an MB/MBP to that and invest in a keyboard and mouse? Would doing that work ok? Not sure how good it would be through a tv.

Please keep the advice/tips/suggestions coming. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.