PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 2.5" FW/USB HD enclosure?

curriedg
May 5, 2004, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of the Hitachi 7K60 7200RPM IDE notebook drives to replace the rapidly-filling-up stock 20GB drive in my 15" TiBook.

In addition I want to get an external FW/USB enclosure to put the existing 20GB drive in for backups, etc. , so I'm interested in specifically:

* if people recommend getting an enclosure that offers external power (via AC transformer, or I've heard there are some that can draw power from a USB port)? I've seen some threads about bus-powered enclosures and people blowing out their FW ports and/or the controller on the enclosure itself, is this a problem people have seen with 2.5" enclosures?

* If there are enclosures that offer FW800, or is FW400 all that's offered on 2.5" enclosures?

* Brand names of enclosures people have used and liked.

Spent many months lurking here, great site & great info!

JOD8FY
May 5, 2004, 08:56 PM
You can search here for External Enclosures:

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=92&DEPA=0

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

legion
May 5, 2004, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of the Hitachi 7K60 7200RPM IDE notebook drives to replace the rapidly-filling-up stock 20GB drive in my 15" TiBook.

In addition I want to get an external FW/USB enclosure to put the existing 20GB drive in for backups, etc. , so I'm interested in specifically:

* if people recommend getting an enclosure that offers external power (via AC transformer, or I've heard there are some that can draw power from a USB port)? I've seen some threads about bus-powered enclosures and people blowing out their FW ports and/or the controller on the enclosure itself, is this a problem people have seen with 2.5" enclosures?

* If there are enclosures that offer FW800, or is FW400 all that's offered on 2.5" enclosures?

* Brand names of enclosures people have used and liked.

Spent many months lurking here, great site & great info!

Wiebetech exclosures are the best. There are 2.5" exclosures with FW800 (fanless and bus powered: model MicroGB800) Awesome cases.
Wiebetech site (http://www.wiebetech.com)
I actually ordered the cases from smalldogs.

nintendo1138
May 6, 2004, 09:33 AM
I hate to recommend this but Firewire 400 runs faster then any 2.5hdd will ever read...so don't spend too much money if you want Firewire 800...i also want everyone to stay away from ADS it sucks, everyonce in while it just looses power...which means the device disconnects itself...

curriedg
May 6, 2004, 11:08 AM
I hate to recommend this but Firewire 400 runs faster then any 2.5hdd will ever read...so don't spend too much money if you want Firewire 800...i also want everyone to stay away from ADS it sucks, everyonce in while it just looses power...which means the device disconnects itself...

For what it's worth... I've got an older TiBook with FW400, plus I'm only planning to use my old original 20GB drive inside. But for those interested, it seems with the right drive (e.g. the Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM 7K60) you can get better performance in a FW800 enclosure than with FW400:

http://www.barefeats.com/fire40.html

(link came from the wiebetech web site)

virividox
May 6, 2004, 01:02 PM
check out wiebetech