Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnett25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
I got all this (except the PowerMac All-In-One [goodwill $10]) for $15 from a guy selling stuff he got from my University. I have no clue what I'm gonna do with this stuff, but I'm still convinced I got a good deal. I'd love to hear what you guys think about my collection. Also, the Performa 6115CD has a strange video out, it almost looks like the modern digital out, does anyone have any idea what that is?

The computers are, from the top.
Macintosh Classic 2mb RAM, 40mb HD
PowerMac 5260/100 16mb RAM, 100mb HD
Macintosh LC 10mb RAM, 40mb HD
Centris 660AV 4nb RAM, 80mbHD
Quadra 610 8mb RAM, 250mb HD
Performa 6115CD 40mb RAM, 2gb HD
Quadra 610 8mb RAM, 250mb HD
Macintosh II 8mb RAM, 40mb HD
Macintosh II 16mb RAM, 40mb HD (with 2 video cards, is this unusual?)
Macintosh II 8mb RAM, 40mb HD

Is this stuff worth selling on ebay?
I think it all works but since I don't have a monitor I can't really tell.

Attachments

• monster 03801.JPG
    monster 03801.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 235
  • monster 03401.JPG
    monster 03401.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 225
  • monster 03101.JPG
    monster 03101.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 208

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
too bad you weren't around when i was cleaning out my apartment... I received quite a few old macs when i started getting interested in buying my first mac.

It was fun to put Apple Unix on a few, but i really don't have the time for em.

I ended up putting them in the stack of old comps at work where noone noticed an adition of 7 macs :p.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not enough Macs for a couch, but definitely enough for an end table, coffee table, and/or chair.

Attachments

• Maccouch.jpg
    Maccouch.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 726

Gabriel

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
Ooh... lots of good old stuff :) I had a couple of those machines, I'm particularly fond of the Quadra 660AV, which IIRC is just a different name for the Centris 660AV you've got there. The Mac II's seem unusually souped up.

I would recommend (once you get bored) donating them to an inner city school. You can probably pick up some localtalk networking equipment really cheap on ebay and make a decent computer lab. I volunteered to do this in our local schools and it was really appreciated. Old computers (especially with plenty of RAM and a reformatted hard drive) can make perfectly find machines for word processing, netscape, old-school music composition software, all sorts of fun stuff. In Hartford, where I volunteered, teachers were still hoarding ancient performas - the IT department didn't want to buy new ones. The sad thing is that when the IT people found out that a teacher is hoarding an old Mac they'll take it away and throw it in a dumpster, and then not replace it so we would volunteer to do repairs.

barnett25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
I would really love to see if these machines work and maybe play around with them some, but I don't have a monitor. I'm sure I could get one on ebay, but that would cost a furtune in shipping. I found this
on ebay but I don'd know if it will work with my lcd monitor. The auction is almost over so if anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate a reply.
Thanks.

Or is this just as good/better? It is cheaper, so if it works I'd rather use it.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
keep the Classic, max it out with RAM (8MB) and the 250MB HD from the other machines... keep the splinter keys and the best looking regular keys and two mice. maybe keep one of the Quadras

...sell the rest on eBay

vSpacken

mabou2

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Strange Video out on performa....

video out on the performa is probably one of the odd proprietary video ports that Apple was using in the performa line. I have only seen them on the pancake performas but could easily have been used in other machines at the time. You need an Apple video adapter to use the performa with normal vga monitors. The adapter is a 6" long cable and I think Apple was the only company that ever made it.

Why Apple did that is a mystery.

wytyd

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
Performa 6115CD

Hi Barnett,

Thanks for posting the thread. That was an excellent deal, and you got all those systems for the cost of a single machine, or less than one machine. Hehee.

The odd display connector you reference on the back of the Performa 6115 CD is called an ADC, or Apple Display Connector. It is a proprietary monitor port on older models of Macs, but I can't say I know the reasoning behind them having a proprietary port. Perhaps it was the early inkling of the "Think Different" campaign? Only kidding. I used to own a Performa 6115 CD, and if I remember correctly, my Apple monitor had a VGA-to-ADC adapter. Stores that sell old or refurbished Mac parts should still have those.

Also see this URL from Apple's website for further details on the Performa 6115 CD:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112279

Speaking of which, it looks like Apple also referred to the ADC Port as HDI-45.

By the way, the Performa is upgradeable...I popped in 128 MB RAM (over the 72 MB RAM Apple's specs say is the maximum), popped in a 120 MHz NuBus Sonnet CPU accelerator card (I think the original CPU was 60 MHz, and I'm pretty sure the accelerator card had about 1 MB L2 Cache), replaced the 2x CD-ROM Drive with a 32x CD-ROM drive, and replaced the 350 MB internal hard drive with I think a 2 GB drive. And people say you can't upgrade a Mac. ;)

I hear even the earliest Macs, like the SE/20, can still be used as Mail Servers. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

barnett25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks for all the info regarding the video out on the Performa. When I first got these computers I had considered selling them on eBay. But I have never sold anything on eBay before, and the task seems kind of daunting. At this point I really need to get these computers out of my girlfriend's apartment (see the post above by carpenter38 ;) ). I think I will probably end up giving most of the computers to goodwill but I want keep the classic and maybe one of the others. So if anyone in the southern WV area wants to come and pick the others up your welcome to it. :)

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
This is my "Stack 'O Macs".

macstack1r.jpg

I bought most of them on eBay 4 or 5 years ago to make aquariums. I still have most of them, wrapped in plastic and stored in my shed. I'm bored with the aquariums but can't bring myself to get rid of the old Macs.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
barnett25 said:
Thanks for all the info regarding the video out on the Performa. When I first got these computers I had considered selling them on eBay. But I have never sold anything on eBay before, and the task seems kind of daunting. At this point I really need to get these computers out of my girlfriend's apartment (see the post above by carpenter38 ;) ). I think I will probably end up giving most of the computers to goodwill but I want keep the classic and maybe one of the others. So if anyone in the southern WV area wants to come and pick the others up your welcome to it. :)

The Performa 6115CD uses the adapter found here: link . I think this video connection was only on the Power Macintosh 6100, 7100, and 8100 models and Performa 61xx. The Performa 6115CD is basically the same as a Power Macintosh 6100.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
macquariumguy said:
This is my "Stack 'O Macs".

macstack1r.jpg

I bought most of them on eBay 4 or 5 years ago to make aquariums. I still have most of them, wrapped in plastic and stored in my shed. I'm bored with the aquariums but can't bring myself to get rid of the old Macs.

OMG!!! That literally looks like my wall a few years ago. I bought 17 of those suckers for $5 at my university auction. I was thinking of making aquariums too or a giant mac robot sculpture...I am not joking lol. Of course I didn't do anything with them. I sold one on ebay for $30 and threw the rest away except (kept the best one).

Like the first guy I wasn't sure what to do with them but I was sure I got a good deal lol.

wytyd

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
You probably got an answer already…but re: 6115CD

Performa 6115CD has a strange video out, it almost looks like the modern digital out, does anyone have any idea what that is?

Is this stuff worth selling on ebay?
I think it all works but since I don't have a monitor I can't really tell.

1. I used to own a Performa 6115CD and loved it. The VideoOut SHOULD BE, if memory serves, the ADC (Apple Display Connector). Might think of it as a predecessor to HDMI, where the video signal and the power share the same cable. You can verify by checking MacTracker, a very handy freeware (donations accepted) app that gives you info and specs on all of Apple's products over the years. Actually I checked out MacTracker as I was composing this and it lists it as "Display Connection HDI-45"

2. Is it worth selling on eBay? You'll want to do searches on some of the machines. You might find some old-school collector who'd be interested in them, but I wouldn't expect more than $50-100 per working system.

3. Find yourself an affordable SVGA CRT monitor. Actually you should be able to find a decent LCD monitor for $150-200 with VGA connector. For the older Macs you may need to find a VGA to ADC adapter.

Good luck!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
1. I used to own a Performa 6115CD and loved it. The VideoOut SHOULD BE, if memory serves, the ADC (Apple Display Connector). Might think of it as a predecessor to HDMI, where the video signal and the power share the same cable. You can verify by checking MacTracker, a very handy freeware (donations accepted) app that gives you info and specs on all of Apple's products over the years. Actually I checked out MacTracker as I was composing this and it lists it as "Display Connection HDI-45"

2. Is it worth selling on eBay? You'll want to do searches on some of the machines. You might find some old-school collector who'd be interested in them, but I wouldn't expect more than $50-100 per working system.

3. Find yourself an affordable SVGA CRT monitor. Actually you should be able to find a decent LCD monitor for $150-200 with VGA connector. For the older Macs you may need to find a VGA to ADC adapter.

Good luck!
Helpful advice to be certain, but I reckon the OP has already long decided what to do with these; it's quite an old thread. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.