PDA

View Full Version : I think Microsoft made my iBook

JohnnyCanuck
May 5, 2004, 09:25 PM
My Mac has been crashing several times daily. Programs will randomly crash a minimum of 10 times a day. Sometimes everything just freezes without any indication as to what's happening, but more often than not, I get the following message:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart Button"

You can see what the screen looks like at the following site:

http://www.mexicanwater.com/my_mac_sucks.jpg

I've restarted several times. I've reinstalled Panther several times. Nothing works.

I've been a big Mac preacher for a long while, but this makes me want to think twice before saying, "OS X is more stable than Windows"

I'm running Panther (a legitimate copy I purchased) on an iBook G3 500MHZ.

I have not experienced any crashes on my G3 400 Indigo iMac.

Anybody else have a similar problem or know what the F@#* is going on?

neoelectronaut
May 5, 2004, 09:27 PM
Have you put any ram in recently or is there any non-apple installed ram in the computer?

Macmaniac
May 5, 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry to say but that five language error is very common to computers with logic boards that are on the way out. I'm not completly sure, but your iBook may be among the iBooks which are effected by the bad logic boards that Apple put out. They currently have a program to replace these bad logic boards, and yours could be covered by the program. Take your computer a repair shop and have them look at it to see if its the logic board. Here are the effected laptops.
For which computers is the Updated iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?
The program is available for iBooks with serial numbers in the following range(s):
UV220XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX
iBooks with the serial numbers listed above may be referred to as:
iBook (16 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM)
iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
iBook (32 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 32 VRAM)
iBook (800MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (900MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 900MHz 32 VRAM)

DavPeanut
May 5, 2004, 09:36 PM
the same thing happened to me (though less often) a little while ago, usually when i woke it up from sleep

then the display went, which meant it was a logic board death

It went off to apple for 4 buisness days, and when i got it back i was running at 700mhz instead of 600mhz

wait till the thing actually dies though. by then, they may have to stick you with an 800mhz board :-D

JohnnyCanuck
May 5, 2004, 09:41 PM
thanks guys. the only ram in their is the additional ram i've installed, but that was when i first bought the computer 3 years ago or so. though only thing i've installed since is an airport card. it looks like i'm not covered by the logic board replacement program.

Darwin
May 5, 2004, 11:50 PM
A Family member has had the same kind of problems with his PowerBook, it kept crashing all the time with the Kenal Panics, I thought it was a gonner

It turn out that he needed to reset his PRAM 5 times and then it worked again, no problems, had to call up Apple for that, something so simple :D

Yes this is an iBook you have but it is worth a try, my iBook has had this logic board failure but apart from that the computer worked well

And since you have re-installed OS X and it didn't do anything I'm sure this is hardware related

The PRAM thing is worth a try :(