Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
So here I am in Maine reading my emails I got from the site and a forum member. But when I try to reply to the member I get some SMTP error, saying that, well, look at the attachment.

Why can I not send mail? I know that my settings are right, but I also think that the settings for the SMTP part of the configuration should be right.

It's set for: smtp.loa.com

iMac 233
128MB RAM
Mac OS 9.2.2
Netscape 6.2

Service Provider: loa.com

Attachments

• smtperror.jpg
    smtperror.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 162

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
yer still using nine! :p .. jus playin..

your provider may require that you send mail securely.. i belive the pref is called "authenticate username and pass while sending mail" or sumthing like that...

if this doesnt solve yer problem you should contact yer isp...

(i almost clicked on "new thread", but i moved my mouse just in time :p :D )

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i had the same problem in Apples Mail app. all i did was click on 'authenticate mail etc, etc' and then everything worked fine.

good luck sorting it out!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Alright KC, are you 100% sure that you need to have it as smtp.loa.com and not mail.loa.com???

Who the hell is loa.com anyway?? Some low brow ISP (or is that protruding brow)??? :p Do they have ANY free tech support or are you SOL if you need it??

Check the authentication as mentioned above, try it both ways to see if either works. Try in OS X as well, wtf did you go into 9.x anyway?? Foolish mortal. :p :D

After that, if it doesn't work, grab a brew, kick back, grab a lobster and chill.

BTW, how long are you going to be in mainiac land???

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Tech:

The smtp listing is set to smtp.loa.com. The pop listing is set to mail.loa.com. I just tried setting the smtp to mail.loa.com and I got the same error.

You said it yourself: low brow. It is Log On America [think of it as AOL backwards :eek:]. My father usually gets in touch with these guys and I have no idea if their support is free.

You guys lost me on authenticating mail. How do I do that?

In Maine, there is plenty of seafood here, but I don't eat it.

I plan to stay until July 14, +/- a day or two.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by King Cobra
In Maine, there is plenty of seafood here, but I don't eat it.

I plan to stay until July 14, +/- a day or two.

How can you NOT eat seafood, especially when you are in Maine??? You gotta be a freak (got your leash??). :D

I was thinking about taking a ride up into Maine on Friday, but it all depends on the weather. If they are still talking about rain, then I won't ride there. I will be contacting my uncle to see if he has any free time on Friday or Saturday to go riding. Just a small daytime ride would be good for me.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Two channels predicted Isolated T-Storms from Monday through Thursday. Yesterday we traveled from Wells to Sweden (err, about 70 or 80 miles) and there was not even rain. I'll bet you a nickel (Fallon) that today is Tuesday in the USA. And right now it is sunny. It was cloudy this morning.

Before I get back on topic, have there been any recent bike shows or something? On June 16 I saw a huge amount of bikers on the road, mostly roaming the Liqour Store on 95. I'm guessing that there was some event going on. Know anything about this?

Now, how do I authenticate mail? I checked the Netscape Preferences and the Help menu, but I couldn't find anything related to it. I checked the sending mail help.

Hey, FW, I'm keeping a close eye on you! :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Authentication is a snap to check/use/disable from OS X and the Mail app. Why are you not using OS X???

June 16 sounds about the same time that bike week was going on up in Laconia (NH), which is probably why you saw a lot of bikers around. I need/want to either organize a nice ride, or join one soon. I want to put more miles on the Harley (already over 1200).

Think I will call the bike shop that I will be using. I need to see if they can help me make my saddlebags easy detach... That way, I can have them on when I want to use them, or pull them off fast. :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I can't use the internet on OS X on my iMac or my iBook 466 (w/128MB RAM) since I can't connect. I am almost completely sure that the settings are the same in OS 9 and OS X. My Cube worked fine in OS 9 and OS X for the internet. If you can help me out there I would appreciate it.

iBook 466 (Graphite)
128MB RAM
OS 9.2.2 (could not connect in OS X 10.1.5)
10GB Hard Drive

Until then I am stuck using OS 9 for the internet.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Without knowing your ISP or what you have attempted to do I can only go so far.

One thing, make sure that you have set the network preference pane to 'Internal Modem' and then enter the ISP's DNS numbers and search domain into the proper fields. Enter the phone numbers and account info into the fields under the PPP tab. Then go up to the 'Internet Connect' item (inside the Applications folder) and launch it. From there you can tell it to connect.

Some ISP's require a prefix for the user name under OS 9, but not OS X (like with Earthlink wanting an ELN/ before your username under 9, but it is not needed under OS X). Since it sounds like you have shotty help from the ISP (at best/if that), you will probably need to do a little experimentation to get it to work. Then again, it might go first whack. :p

That's the price you pay for using a 'hole in the wall' ISP... One great thing about Earthlink is the fact that they have tons of dial-up numbers, and great tech support (24/7 except for major holidays I believe). They also support BOTH OS 9.x AND OS X... fully. :p :D :cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I think loa is now Earthlink or something. I got a few emails from earthlink instead of loa, but on my iMac my preferences are set for loa and it works.

I'll go through what you said, but it may take some time. I should check back in about 30 minutes.

:cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Regarding DNS my father can connect fine with his Powerbook in OS 9 and there are no entries for DNS (they should be optional). The account info should have been under the correct fields as in OS 9. My modem is internal, using V.34. However, when I go to connect I get past the "Contacting PPP Server", but I can't get past "Authenticating User". Then I get a message, displaying "Internet Connect: Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server...." I need to verify my settings.

So if my settings are the same for OS 9 and OS X why am I being told to verify my settings?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Call the ISP support people and get the info... Just about all ISP's that use dial-up connections have numbers for DNS/PPP server numbers. The only ones that don't are usually cable modems, but even they sometimes ask you to put them in. I put them in mine, so that I could access my iDisk.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I'll see what I can do...as we've had problems with loa since day 1. We had 6 different occassions in 2000 in which loa f!!ked up on us and we had to call them (VERY low brow :D).

So while I'm typing in OS 9 how do I authenticate username and pass while sending mail as cb911 and FW suggested so I can get past these SMTP nighmares? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.