Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abcd1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
I recently tried to upgrade a G4 running Mac OS X 10.2 from 64MB of RAM to 128MB. The SIMM I put into the G4 came from a Umax machine. It fit the slot okay, but now when I power up the computer it will not boot. Even after restoring the original SIMM alone it will not work. The power supply fan starts spinning and then shuts off. I realize I probably inserted an incorrect RAM type. Is there any way to repair this problem or did it do something permanent to the board?

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
If it was old RAM out of a Umax, then aside from it being the wrong kind of memory, it also might not have been the right voltage rated memory either. I used to have an old mac clone and I think a lot of those machines used 3.3 voltage RAM chips. Either way, it doesn't sound good. Don't mean to beat you up, but what were you thinking trying to put such old RAM in a newer machine without checking specs?

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Man, you better cross your fingers and hope you didn't fried the RAM sockets and channels. I don't get how you can just jam anything in there w/o checking 1st. This is like adding diesel to your unlead gasoline engine because you found some in the garage and thought it's free.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Let's see you stuffed 168-pin 5 volt EDO or fast-page DRAM, into a slot that needs 3.3v 168-pin PC100 or PC133 SDRAM because it just happened to fit into the slot. :rolleyes:

Could have shorted out the motherboard and/or the CPU.

Now that's what I call an intelligent means of trying to save $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.