PDA

View Full Version : AEBS is great!

aussie_geek
May 6, 2004, 02:45 AM
Just for all of you who doubt the AEBS ranges and problems, I can say Apple has fixed them. I installed Airport in 15 minutes as a wireless access point and was surfing the net straight away.

I live in a two storey brick house and there is no problems with reception in any room. I really recomend this product to anyone who is having second thoughts. ;) ;)

aussie_geek

Reuven
May 6, 2004, 03:14 AM
Just for all of you who doubt the AEBS ranges and problems, I can say Apple has fixed them. I installed Airport in 15 minutes as a wireless access point and was surfing the net straight away.

I live in a two storey brick house and there is no problems with reception in any room. I really recomend this product to anyone who is having second thoughts. ;) ;)

aussie_geek

How easy to setup WEP or WPA settings ?

I already have a Netgear WGR614 v4 so wondering as well what steps you have to take to get connect ?

Cheers,

Reuven

aussie_geek
May 6, 2004, 04:38 AM
How easy to setup WEP or WPA settings ?

I already have a Netgear WGR614 v4 so wondering as well what steps you have to take to get connect ?

Cheers,

Reuven

Reuven,

I set up the network with 40 bit WEP security - very easy, all you need is to set a password for the airport network. This means that you have to enter a password to access the airport network. You don't have to keep entering the access code though, it is stored in a 'keychain'.

Keychains as the name suggests are a collection of all your passwords for your PB apps (eg mail settings etc) - encrypted by your master computer password.

Are you going to use your Netgear as a wireless access point or a wireless router? The setup instructions are different for each type of network. There is an Apple airport setup program that sould be able to guide you through the steps to do it. This is my first wireless network experience and I was suprised how easy it was.

I hope you have an easy setup as well :)

aussie_geek

Reuven
May 6, 2004, 06:48 AM
Reuven,

I set up the network with 40 bit WEP security - very easy, all you need is to set a password for the airport network. This means that you have to enter a password to access the airport network. You don't have to keep entering the access code though, it is stored in a 'keychain'.

Keychains as the name suggests are a collection of all your passwords for your PB apps (eg mail settings etc) - encrypted by your master computer password.

Are you going to use your Netgear as a wireless access point or a wireless router? The setup instructions are different for each type of network. There is an Apple airport setup program that sould be able to guide you through the steps to do it. This is my first wireless network experience and I was suprised how easy it was.

I hope you have an easy setup as well :)

aussie_geek

When you mention wireless access point or a wireless router? how do you mean ?

I have connected my Netgear WGR614 v 4 wireless router to my cable modem / PC and want to set it up so I can have wireless internet on my apple PB through out the house.

Cheers,

Reuven

aussie_geek
May 6, 2004, 07:26 AM
When you mention wireless access point or a wireless router? how do you mean ?

I have connected my Netgear WGR614 v 4 wireless router to my cable modem / PC and want to set it up so I can have wireless internet on my apple PB through out the house.

Cheers,

Reuven

Reuven,

A wireless access point is used when you have an existing ethernet network and you just want a wireless connection added on to it. My AEBS is hooked up into port 3 on my standard router (i have my G4 in port 1, and a playstation 2 in port 2). In essence the airport is just another ethernet cable that runs to the Powerbook (no wires though...)

A wireless router is where the input from your modem instead of going into the back of your PC directly, goes into your netgear where the Netgear will 'Route' the internet connection via cable and/or wirelessly to your computers.

Your network would be a Wireless router.

For your setup you would put your cable modem ethernet cable into the Netgear in port, and then the PC into the ethernet port 1 on the back of the Netgear. The Netgear will be the router for your network. The powerbook will connect wirelessly to port 2 on your Netgear. In other words your netgear will distribute the ip addresses for your network.

All of this will be in your instructions... don't worry. If you have probs setting up there is always this forum and the Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/ .

aussie_geek
:cool:

ps: have you been in touch with DJ's lately regarding the arrival date on your PB? :confused:

Reuven
May 7, 2004, 01:50 AM
Reuven,

A wireless access point is used when you have an existing ethernet network and you just want a wireless connection added on to it. My AEBS is hooked up into port 3 on my standard router (i have my G4 in port 1, and a playstation 2 in port 2). In essence the airport is just another ethernet cable that runs to the Powerbook (no wires though...)

A wireless router is where the input from your modem instead of going into the back of your PC directly, goes into your netgear where the Netgear will 'Route' the internet connection via cable and/or wirelessly to your computers.

Your network would be a Wireless router.

For your setup you would put your cable modem ethernet cable into the Netgear in port, and then the PC into the ethernet port 1 on the back of the Netgear. The Netgear will be the router for your network. The powerbook will connect wirelessly to port 2 on your Netgear. In other words your netgear will distribute the ip addresses for your network.

All of this will be in your instructions... don't worry. If you have probs setting up there is always this forum and the Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/ .

aussie_geek
:cool:

ps: have you been in touch with DJ's lately regarding the arrival date on your PB? :confused:

Thanks for your help on WEP/WPA settings! Have not got long to wait untill I get my PB I hope!

Poped into DJS this afternoon as the 14 Working Days have passed. Fingers crossed by this time next week or sooner I will have my PB.

If I do not receive it will have to talk to apple! As this is more then enough! Been waiting since 20th April!

Cheers,

Reuven