Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Oh dear, I knew this would happen eventually. I didn't think it would take this long, though. I used to live in England at one point, so I have an idea of what the situation was like back then. Alas, it's been 12 long years since I left England...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
All those in favour of having Bob Crow stoned to death raise your hands.

We're in a recession you turds. Shut up and get on with the already stupidly over paid jobs you're lucky to have.
A TfL statement said: "The RMT leadership has failed to engage in any meaningful talks on pay, instead submitting a wildly unrealistic claim - demanding a 5% pay rise for fewer hours in the middle of a recession.
:mad:

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I am so lucky I can walk to work these days. Working at a hospital staying home is a non-option - I remember a delightful 2 and a half hours of bus action the last time I was using the tube.

I can't imagine they have any sympathy from Londoners. Demanding more money to sit on their arses and read the sun while the automatic train does their job for them - in the middle of a recession too! Greedy ****ers :mad:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I am so lucky I can walk to work these days. Working at a hospital staying home is a non-option - I remember a delightful 2 and a half hours of bus action the last time I was using the tube.

I too can walk to work. I can also work from home. Neither of these things alter the fact that these buggers think they can hold London to ransom year after year. If I had my way I'd just sack them and then employee people willing to sign a no-unions contract.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I too can walk to work. I can also work from home. Neither of these things alter the fact that these buggers think they can hold London to ransom year after year. If I had my way I'd just sack them and then employee people willing to sign a no-unions contract.

I'd never work for a company that didn't allow unions...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'd never work for a company that didn't allow unions...

Well, perhaps not. I'm pretty sure we can join a union where I work. Just no-one ever would. Perhaps I'd be better trying to have the government declare it as a public service exempt from striking like the Police/Army?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well, perhaps not. I'm pretty sure we can join a union where I work. Just no-one ever would. Perhaps I'd be better trying to have the government declare it as a public service exempt from striking like the Police/Army?

Unions do a hell of a lot more than people realise. Imagine if there weren't any unions at all. You'd be paid sod all, get sod all leave, sacked for being sick etc...

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Unions do a hell of a lot more than people realise. Imagine if there weren't any unions at all. You'd be paid sod all, get sod all leave, sacked for being sick etc...

They do now, thanks to Thatcher, if it wasn't for her ending their dominance we'd be worse than the French.

These tube workers make me sick, I'd sack the lot and replace them with the unemployed who will work for less and be grateful for the job, that would set a precedent.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Even so, as far as the RMT go, they need a good kick in the arse.

Yes. They do take things a touch far.
But let's not tar all unions with the same brush...
:)

As a side note, you Londoners really don't know how good you've got it, public transport wise...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As a side note, you Londoners really don't know how good you've got it, public transport wise...
Well, it is good, in that it exists. Beyond that I can't think of too many positives.

Over crowded. Over priced. Too temperamental (ZOMG Signal Failure!). It's too hot to function. It's too cold to function. blah...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well, it is good, in that it exists. Beyond that I can't think of too many positives.

Over crowded. Over priced. Too temperamental (ZOMG Signal Failure!). It's too hot to function. It's too cold to function. blah...

Move to another city and see...

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
well you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided...

Have you experienced Japanese, Swiss, Austrian, Scandinavian public transport?

If you have then I suspect you would not have held London so highly, and regarding the unions (which I expect you are a member of) there is a difference between protecting workers and simply being greedy.

We are in a recession, pay cuts are being taken across the board and these greedy (well paid) drivers are demanding more..!

Ridiculous.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Have you experienced Japanese, Swiss, Austrian, Scandinavian public transport?

If you have then I suspect you would not have held London so highly, and regarding the unions (which I expect you are a member of) there is a difference between protecting workers and simply being greedy.

We are in a recession, pay cuts are being taken across the board and these greedy (well paid) drivers are demanding more..!

Ridiculous.

Like I said.

Bob Crow and the RMT do take things too far, not all unions are like that.

I live in a city where the first bus is at 6:30 am and the last bus is at 10pm.
So compared to that, London is bloody great!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
But the response deal that LU gave the union is just as piss poor crap and I think even worse than the one the union is asking for.
LU has offered staff a 1% pay increase in the first year of the five-year deal, with increases of 0.5% in the next four years.

That increase would not even keep up with inflation and would effectively be given them a 2%+ pay cut per year.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
^

That sucks and all but I can't help but think they're lucky it's only a pay cut and not an outright job cut. A lot of people are out of work right now and LU employees are making a good salary and bitching/striking about it, all the while inconveniencing people who have nothing to do with it on their way to their own jobs. It's crap.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
^

That sucks and all but I can't help but think they're lucky it's only a pay cut and not an outright job cut. A lot of people are out of work right now and LU employees are making a good salary and bitching/striking about it, all the while inconveniencing people who have nothing to do with it on their way to their own jobs. It's crap.

They're also striking against job losses

Thousands of Tube workers have voted to strike in two separate disputes over pay deals and proposed job losses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.