PDA

View Full Version : The looming oil crisis will dwarf 1973

etoiles
May 6, 2004, 10:36 AM
CBS market watch (http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B8A89E36B%2D0E79%2D44B0%2DA790%2DDFFCDBE4BA21%7D&siteid=mktw)
It is one thing to read about it on some looney 'end of days' website, but when investors news start telling the same story, it might be time to start to worry...

Mr. Anderson
May 6, 2004, 10:45 AM
this has become not a matter of "if" but rather one of "when."

this has always been the case....now its just a matter of when "when" is....

It does seem to be a bit more likely with the current state of affairs and the outcome will be devastating. Prices for everything will go up from the reliance of shipping (via truck, plane or boat) requires fuel. We take it for granted that we can get fruit and vegetables year round in the store.

Looks like biking to work might be a great thing soon...

D

mactastic
May 6, 2004, 11:03 AM
Well, I'll save most of my comments on this until after it inevitably gets moved to the political section, but sufficed to say if there is a major disruption of oil supplies, particularly if the House of Saud is to fall to Islamic radicals, the world economy will surely be in the crapper for a long, long time. We are, after all, only 3 meals away from a revolution as someone once put it.

JesseJames
May 6, 2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, better get the bicycle lubed and adjusted. Or public transportation here I come.

cyks
May 6, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, better get the bicycle lubed and adjusted. Or public transportation here I come.

....unless your bike lube is synthetic... walking seems to be the only option ;)

armchainmstenw
May 6, 2004, 03:08 PM
Skateboarding may work...with an oil replacement.

Ambrose Chapel
May 6, 2004, 08:11 PM
i'm very glad my job pays for my subway pass

wdlove
May 6, 2004, 08:35 PM
i'm very glad my job pays for my subway pass

That could become a very valuable benefit in the future. Currently they are using mainly fossil fuel to make the electricity to power the trolley.

We need alternatives ASAP. We are dependent for more than transportation and food. :eek:

Mr. Anderson will be OK as long is his bicycle if pedal power, that is what I thought he was referring to in his post.

mactastic
May 6, 2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah we worry about what a $3 gallon of gas would do to the economy, what would a $5 gallon of gas do to it? :eek:

armchainmstenw
May 6, 2004, 10:08 PM
I think it's good that kids in the public school systems around here (generally high school) get free bus passes, instead of seperate school buses.

tveric
May 7, 2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah we worry about what a $3 gallon of gas would do to the economy, what would a $5 gallon of gas do to it? :eek:

Guess what, every industrialized nation in the West pays at least $5 a gallon except for us. Seems like their economies are doing fine - the Euro is at an all-time high against the dollar.

The sooner we get off our oil addiction in this country, the better - no matter where the price of gas is.

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2004, 02:18 AM
I think it's good that kids in the public school systems around here (generally high school) get free bus passes, instead of seperate school buses.

Here in my area they lament that they have to get up early to get a parking space for the one or two block walk to school....

Soiled <explitive> brats....

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2004, 02:20 AM
Guess what, every industrialized nation in the West pays at least $5 a gallon except for us. Seems like their economies are doing fine - the Euro is at an all-time high against the dollar.

The sooner we get off our oil addiction in this country, the better - no matter where the price of gas is.

We have done nothing since the 70's to make sure that we don't have to dependant on the US oil companies, or the current administration.

tveric
May 7, 2004, 03:28 AM
We have done nothing since the 70's to make sure that we don't have to defendant on the US oil companies, or the current administration.

uh, "we don't have to defendant"? what does that mean??

Chip NoVaMac
May 7, 2004, 09:41 AM
uh, "we don't have to defendant"? what does that mean??

That should be dependent ....

cyberddot
May 7, 2004, 10:15 AM
'Gotta love getting 44mpg/hwy with kayaks on top of the vehicle...52pmg/hwy without the kayaks. :cool: With BioD blends I get similar mileage and with 100% BioD it drops to 47mpg/hwy. :eek: But then, I'm willing to suffer the embarassment of driving a Jetta Wagon (as in station wagon).

The force driving our fuel prices and fuel selection(s) is the same force that chooses to drive high performance sports cars and family buses like Suburbans, or worse (gasp) Hummers!! The enemy are us.

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-5.html

At 2.75/gallon BioD is actually priced pretty competetively, considering the benefits to our planet and our fellow citizens (and soldiers).