PDA

View Full Version : What should i Buy Power mac g5 or reb mac pro

karamell
May 28, 2009, 09:19 PM
hey whats u guys. i have a question i want to get another apple computer but i dont have the funds to get it with right now. im looking for a mac that i can create movies on using final cut pro ilife 09 / adobe premire pro / etc. i just started back working so i have no money right now but this is what im thinking, i want to but a mac maybe a powermac g5 2.3 gh with 218 gigs after leopard, so i can run ilife 09 for quick videos to youtube an create professional movies /videos For salel using final cut pro but heres the real problem i dont want to buy a power mac g5 due to the fact that soon there going to be prehistoric soon but im such a mac head i really want to get my hands on one soon. it would take me like 6 to weeks to buy one that would cost me around $500 to $600. or if i want a Mac Pro it would take me around 5 to 6 months to get if i put away $100 a week. So what should i do Save up the $600 an buy on in july or save up to buy a mac pro in november thats the catch?
now an other question i have is how fast does the powermac g5 render movies in final cut an how long does it take to create a 22mim movie on a g5

Keniff
May 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'd say go for an entry level MacPro, as you don't want to be upgrading too soon in the near future, and you never know what software (and more ram) you may need, so just think ahead?
And I'm sure it would be perfect for your needs for the next 7 or more years, before there's some new drastic technology comes along that pushes you into needing or wanting to upgrade.

Just one thing though (and this may not sound like the best technical advice), if I would have to take into consideration your personal financial situation that you're in right now (from what you've said), I'd personally say, you should just buy what you can afford...

(Sorry, I can't answer the g5 render movie question)

I hope this helps?

Tesselator
May 28, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'd say go for an entry level MacPro,

Yup.

Dr.Pants
May 28, 2009, 11:40 PM
Get the MacPro for upgradability and usability. I had the choice with my budget to go with either a mid-level iMac or a G5 quad - considering my needs, I went with the G5 in my signature. Oddly enough, it beats out the iMac in terms of the FSB... That's beside the point. My budget, thanks to the economy, shriveled under the burden of tuition.

I bought a G5 because of my budget, needs for upwards-compatible expansion and power, and slight contempt for iMacs. It won't go to 10.6, but I really do not care at this point. However, with the G5, the cheap versions are not exactly the most usable items for anything in HD. For the best value per dollar, you probably need one of the quads at the very least. An entry-level macpro or 2008 macpro are very good machines, better off with them if you can save up for them. I would have one, but yeah... economy screwed my idea of saving up for one.