PDA

View Full Version : Airport won't load some pages and I'm going crazy

jacobj
May 6, 2004, 01:31 PM
When I connect to the Internet via my Ethernet modem I can browse the internet without issues, but when I connect via Airport there are some pages that cause issues, such as microsoft (won't load at all) and amazon, where no images load.

Can someone tell me why, because this is driving me crazy.

Horrortaxi
May 6, 2004, 02:02 PM
I don't see how it could be the AirPort. It's just an invisible wire.

jacobj
May 6, 2004, 02:04 PM
It must be the Airport. When I configure the computer to use the ethernet modem all is well, when I do aiport it all goes wrong. It is the same modem. It's only that connect directly sometime and via airport at other times. I have checked the airport configuration settings and they appear to be the same as the ethernet. help.

mkrishnan
May 6, 2004, 02:48 PM
It must be the Airport. When I configure the computer to use the ethernet modem all is well, when I do aiport it all goes wrong. It is the same modem. It's only that connect directly sometime and via airport at other times. I have checked the airport configuration settings and they appear to be the same as the ethernet. help.

Did you try turning on "Use Interference Robustness" in the AP menu?

jacobj
May 6, 2004, 03:00 PM

Doesn't do anything, but thanks

gekko513
May 6, 2004, 04:54 PM
You seem to be losing data-packets when using Airport. If that is the case then there is a problem with the transmission. How strong is the signal strength? Try moving the computer further away from the base station and try moving it closer. Does it change?

I had a problem when my router and cable modem couldn't decide if they should use full or half duplex. This caused some packet loss which resulted in slow speed because packets had to be re-transmitted. In Internet Explorer however, it sometimes caused the kind of problems you're describing. (Pages not loading or parts of pages (especially images) not loading). Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, try Safari or Firefox. Any better?

mkrishnan
May 7, 2004, 03:47 PM
You seem to be losing data-packets when using Airport. If that is the case then there is a problem with the transmission. How strong is the signal strength? Try moving the computer further away from the base station and try moving it closer. Does it change?

Speaking of this, and indulging my natural tendency to go slightly OT :), in Windows there is usually some kind of "timeout after xxx seconds" kind of option. I have noticed that Safari gives up really quickly when it can't get a connection to something, either b/c of the server side or b/c of my side (like the AE card hasn't finished waking up and reestablishing its connection cuz I just re-opened my iBook). Is there a setting for this? I don't think it's the cause of jacobj's problem though....

Stan
May 9, 2004, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan

Sorry to be dumb, but I can't find this (PBk 1Gz, OSX 10.3.2). Can you tell me exactly where this is, as it sounds like it might help with a similar problem I am having - every six or seven minutes, while browsing using Safari, all pages will cease to load, hang and time out. This will last for about a minute, then reload ok for one page, then time out again for another minute. After this, fine again for another six or seven minutes. This does not happen when using a direct ethernet connection, instead of via Airport. Any ideas?

mkrishnan
May 10, 2004, 07:03 AM
Sorry to be dumb, but I can't find this (PBk 1Gz, OSX 10.3.2). Can you tell me exactly where this is, as it sounds like it might help with a similar problem I am having - every six or seven minutes, while browsing using Safari, all pages will cease to load, hang and time out.

As far as the interference robustness thing, please see the attached picture. This has been in all versions of 10.3 AFAIK. Dunno if airport (non-extreme) has it though. It's supposed to help if you have a lot of interfering devices like BT or cell phones etc putting out 2.3 GHz signals or noise. But no one seems to know exactly what it does.

How far away from the base station are you? Have you tried to see if it happens when you are sitting two feet from the station, but still wireless?