Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharmlessMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
my ipod 80gb has been giving me trouble since i bought it in late 07. When I was on my PC it would never sync all of my music.So I had to just use selected playlists. Now on my Mac it seems to get worse. It'll stay syncing one song for hours and needs to constantly be restored( and quite often gives me a hassle when trying to restore it). I can't afford a new, so I'm hoping one you tech savy folks may have a way of fixing it? At least I hope

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Sounds like you may need to replace the hard drive. If you do a bit of Googling you'll find that it's not that difficult or expensive.

CharmlessMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Sounds like you may need to replace the hard drive. If you do a bit of Googling you'll find that it's not that difficult or expensive.

damn. I'm beyond broke though.No luck with job hunting etc anyways at least now I know I don't have to get a whole new ipod and maybe in the future I can get some dough to get a new harddrive

Thanks!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
New iPod or replacement harddrive is pretty much the only option : /

Rule of thumb: If something electronic gives you problems right off the bat get it exchanged. Itll probably never get better, only worse.

swayed

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2002
possible fix

my 160gb classic was doing this and i tried almost every ipod fix app out there, but what worked and worked the first time for me was disk warrior.

mkrahn

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
2 causes I know of

This same thing happened to me. One time, the song it was hung up on was corrupted. Watch the status bar at the top of iTunes to see what song it hangs up on and then uncheck the box on that one or delete that song file. If that works, it is good news.

The bad news is that sometimes it hangs up at a certain point in the syncing process (like at 1 GB). This means it is getting to a bad sector on the hard drive and it can't write to it.
There are 3 things you can do: pay attention to where it stops (at 1 GB or 5 GB etc...). Create a playlist which is smaller than that size and sync that playlist only. This may be all you can do with this drive.
Figure out what sector is bad on the hard drive and do a partition of the drive to avoid the bad sector (I have to stop here, I have not figured out how to do this).
Get a new hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.