Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8073068.stm

Do you think they will actually start cutting people off? I agree with the ISP it isn't their job to police the web, and I don't think file sharing is all that bad. But then spose i most people who use it, do download films not just for their own use but to sell knock off in work or down the pub.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Umm.. Well, I only download millions and millions of gigas of anime, japanese drama and stuff only cause it ain't available here. Most of it hosted over at site like youtube. :p is that incriminating?

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I fall into that, but i am not in that country or continent. I think i do more than average actually. But i don't think that you can get prosecuted for it in my country. At least i have never heard of it...

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I wouldn't want to say anything that might incriminate myself on a public forum.

(This is both serious and a little :p)

I understand why. But I Don't Think what you said in MacRumors:Forums would hold up in a court of law...

Umm.. Well, I only download millions and millions of gigas of anime, japanese drama and stuff only cause it ain't available here. Most of it hosted over at site like youtube. :p is that incriminating?

It might be copyright if its on youtube. And yeah thats why I torrent a lot of... anime and stuff.

theimacdude

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
File sharing is just the way it works. Companies still make money in the billions, it just sounds like they're being greedy wanting more and more. More people go and see/buy the stuff than use things like Pirate Bay.However, lets face it, its always going to happen, its practically unstoppable.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
if they banned everyone in the UK who used torrents there would not be many people left, why would the ISP's want to lose all that money????

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I'm sick of software and movie/music industry people saying

"Right, one million downloads, multiply by £16.99 per disk - that's COST US £17 MILLION"

No it hasn't. This false assumption that without the world of downloading, every single download would actually be a purchase is so totally totally wrong it's not even an attempt at honesty.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

"Right, one million downloads, multiply by £16.99 per disk - that's COST US £17 MILLION"

No it hasn't. This false assumption that without the world of downloading, every single download would actually be a purchase is so totally totally wrong it's not even an attempt at honesty.

I agree with you… but now the cash hungry/strapped UK government is saying "oooh this is costing the economy tens of billions of pounds"… in other words: …"we're losing out on loads of stuff we can tax!"

If the government thinks they are losing out on tax revenue they will get their backsides into action.
And we all know how that'll go.
:eek:

As to which category I fall into?
Hmm. No comment.
Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool

if i didn't download, i don't think i would even be bothered about films and that.. your right. most downloads wouldn't be a purchase anyway.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
"we're losing out on loads of stuff we can tax!"[/I]

If the government thinks they are losing out on tax revenue they will get their backsides into action.
And we all know how that'll go.
:eek:

Sort of like moonshine and marijuana? haha
If it can't be taxed, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.