Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiPolar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I've done a search on the web and in these forums, but my answer still seems to evade me. I've got a Canon i860 printer and two computers (win XP and OSX10.2). I don't really care which computer the printer is directly connected to, but I want to be able to share the printer on the other computer.

I tried direct to the PC, but can't figure out how to get the mac to recognize it. I installed Gimp-Print, but there are no drivers for the i860. I've seen on a couple of message boards that I can use the BJC-7000, but does that really work for photos and everything else? I'd prefer to be able to choose my driver directly and I can't figure out how.

WHen I try to directly connect the Mac, I can't get the Pc to see it, even with printer sharing switched on.

Help!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I set this up for my Dad once. I connected the printer to the Mac (since he had about three Macs to share it with and only one PC) and turned on printer sharing. I then set up the Gimp-Print drivers according to some instructions I found on macosxhints.com . Go to their forums and look for printer sharing and follow the directions. It is a little complicated, but it did work. Make sure that Gimp-Print supports your printer, too. that was one problem I had, but I did get a different printer working for him.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I have a similar issue with an i460.

After extensive research and experimentation I have come to the conclusion that the mac driver will not print across a network, canon is doing some wierd voodoo with dynamic ppd's that breaks it.

There are three options:

1) Plug it into the mac and try to get it shared to the Windows machine. Remember that to share to windows, in addition to printer sharing you also have to turn on windows sharing. Even then I find I have to type the full path to the printer anyway, browse doesn't work.

2) Share it from the windows machine, and use the Canon 7000 driver (you can get a ppd from linuxprinting.org) it works partially, but you will lose some options. Whenever you print photos you will have to move the cord

3) <the best option> Somehow convince canon to produce a real cups compliant driver, instead of the junk that they are giving out for those printers.

If anyone can figure out how to get the "i" series bubblejets printing over a network using the canon supplied driver, I would be really interested in knowing too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.