PDA

View Full Version : Worth fixing CD Drive on iBook G4?

windywoo
May 29, 2009, 09:29 AM
I recently bought a used 1GHz G4 iBook (768MB RAM) for 112($180.50) on ebay. A bargain even counting for the fact that its CD Drive doesn't work. I since installed Leopard which runs fine.

I then discovered that I need an Intel Mac to develop for the iPhone so I might sell this little beasty to fund the price of an upgrade. I was wondering if the value of my iBook would be significantly increased by fixing the CD/DVD Drive. The cost would be 25($40.28) which isn't a lot, but the actual dismantling looks complicated, and there seem to be a few bits which could snap.

I've seen these sell usually for about 200($322.44), I was wondering if Leopard and the fixed drive would increase its value that much.

Cheers.

tj53
May 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
Depends on where you are selling. If you are trying to sell to someone who is less technically inclined, then yes, fix the drive so that you can sell it without any problems.

Selling a fully working computer will always yield a better price than a "works, but..." computer, so I'd say fix it if you feel comfortable. Otherwise you should at the very least be able to get the price you paid for it back, and not be out any money.

windywoo
May 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Good point, I wasn't thinking of the non-technical folk. I'll be selling it on ebay.

windywoo
Jun 3, 2009, 06:41 PM
I went ahead and it was probably the biggest headache I ever had in all my days of building/repairing PCs.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/iBook-G4-12-Inch-800-MHz-1-2-GHz-Optical-Drive/167/1

Basically almost a complete breakdown of the iBook just to install a new CD drive. I better make some money on this :)

NewMacbookPlz
Jun 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
I went ahead and it was probably the biggest headache I ever had in all my days of building/repairing PCs.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/iBook-G4-12-Inch-800-MHz-1-2-GHz-Optical-Drive/167/1

Basically almost a complete breakdown of the iBook just to install a new CD drive. I better make some money on this :)

It was almost the same deal when I replaced the HDD on my 800mhz G4 iBook a couple years ago. It took me ~1hr 15min to tear the thing down, but then only 15min to put it back together.

I only had one extra screw left afterwards :D