PDA

View Full Version : Ibook g3 PLEASE HELP!?

Linds27
May 29, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hi all!
I am a new mac user and have bought a ibook g3 10.1.5 from a friend...i figured i would start with this. I have never used one before.

They are clearly very different from PC!!!
HELP!!!

Wireless internet??? what do i need, where do i start?

Will it run all of my non mac programs? bible software, webcam, skype??

How do i change the name of the computer to my name????

I am pretty frustated but am determined to stick it out, everyone else love macs...

NewMacbookPlz
May 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
Wireless internet: You'll need to see if it has an AirPort card installed. If not, ifixit may sell used ones for that model. If it does have one, just click the logo in the menu bar that's shaped like a cone and enter your network name/password. The old Airport cards may not work with anything higher than WEP though.

Non-mac programs: Mac OS probably does have versions of everything you use, however 10.1.5 is ANCIENT as far as Mac OS X goes, and no new software will run on it. Most anything you'd find that's modern needs 10.4 at the minimum, with some accepting 10.3.

Changing the name: That'll be in user accounts in the "system preferences."

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 1ghz iBook G4 to introduce myself to OS X. At least at that point, you can run the most current (for the time being) OS revision of 10.5.7.

The computer you bought is pretty much equivalent to a Windows98 powered laptop from a similar time period.

likemyorbs
May 29, 2009, 08:24 PM
honestly, i really don't believe you can get a taste of a modern mac on a system that old. 10.1.5 is extremely outdated and the system must be slow as balls. you should have gotten at least an ibook g4 so you can install the latest mac os x on it.