PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Selling Unibody MB for White MB

Wicked1
May 29, 2009, 06:54 PM
I love the features of my Unibody Aluminum MacBook, like the Backlit Keyboard, faster 2.4 CPU and thin and light design, but the glare on the LED display is horrible, so I am thinking of selling it and getting a White MacBook with the new 2.13 CPU, DDR2 ram etc. and getting the basic model and upgrading it myself to 4GB Ram and installing my 320 GB HDD. Has anyone thought about going from a Unibody MB to a White MB becuase of the display or any other reason? I am just wondering if there are others who hate the Mirror Type Reflection and how dusty the screen always seems to get.

dukebound85
May 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
the white mb has a glossy screen as well so you will have the same problems:rolleyes:

aaquib
May 29, 2009, 06:56 PM
the white mb has a glossy screen as well:rolleyes:

The gloss isn't nearly as bad without the glass. I went from a unibody 2.4 MacBook to a MacBook Air and the reflections are nearly non existant when compared to the ones on the UMB.

Wicked1
May 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
Only Problem with the Air is Drive Space, but I was thinking of that as well, also I am not willing to Dole out $1,799.99 for the 1.6 CPU or $2,499.99 for the 1.8 CPU. Also if I remember correctly the lower unit uses a 1.8" drive and so does the 1.8 unit, but you can not replace the battery or drive yourself or it voids Apple's warranty. I need at least 320GB of disk space or I might as well just stick with my 2009 Mini.

aaquib
May 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
Only Problem with the Air is Drive Space, but I was thinking of that as well, also I am not willing to Dole out $1,799.99 for the 1.6 CPU or $2,499.99 for the 1.8 CPU. Also if I remember correctly the lower unit uses a 1.8" drive and so does the 1.8 unit, but you can not replace the battery or drive yourself or it voids Apple's warranty. I need at least 320GB of disk space or I might as well just stick with my 2009 Mini.

I wasn't suggesting that you get an Air, I was merely just saying that without a glass screen, the reflections are much less noticeable.

rgarjr
May 29, 2009, 07:14 PM
No way man, I really enjoy my aluminum body on mine.

stonewall123
May 29, 2009, 07:31 PM
No way. Stick with the unibody. The cheap plastic of my white macbook 2Ghz has cracked in multiple places and was repaired twice under warranty. Now that its out of warranty it still is cracking especially where my right wrist sits. This is a known defect and a very annoying one at that. Stick with your unibody.

Wicked1
May 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
I wasn't suggesting that you get an Air, I was merely just saying that without a glass screen, the reflections are much less noticeable.

Dude no Worries, I really like the Air especially that all I do is listen to Music, watch some Videos, Web Surf and some Office Docs etc. I download photos off of my professional camera and need a lot more space, also the fact that there is only one USB port is annoying to me because I need two ports at minimum, one for Mouse/Camera and another for USB Drive. I love the fact that it is so light etc, but I just can not bear to spend that much $, if I were it would be best just to spring for a new MBP.:rolleyes:

Skydiver32
May 29, 2009, 10:02 PM
I read somewhere in these forums that you can buy one of those transparent and protective plastic films for the screen and you would be good to go, without the glare.

Don't know which one though, but Im sure someone can chime in with it

emt1
May 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
I sold my Early 2008 MBP for a uMB. I'm not regretting that decision at all. Unibody is beautiful.

J&JPolangin
May 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
...the glossy whitebook isn't nearly as glossy as the glass overlay on the UMB... go for it and get applecare and an external monitor (and still have money in your pocket):D

Kirkafur
May 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
Dude, I'll trade ya.

angemon89
May 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
Don't do it. The display on the white MB is a lot crappier. It may be less reflective, sure, but it's not worth the downgrade in quality.

At least with the unibody MacBook you have a crappy LED display.

mlemonds
May 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
i love the antiglare that they make for the iphone.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/anti-glare-film-for-macbook-aluminum-13

Fiko
May 29, 2009, 11:43 PM
I would get this

http://www.moshimonde.com/products2.asp?UPLF1=5&PDLS1=33

nerdish
May 30, 2009, 03:35 AM
I actually done this, i loved the look of the unibody, but i couldn't cope with the glare i got with the screen, especially outdoors, so after having the aluminum MacBook since January, yesterday i bought the new 2.13Ghz white WhiteBook and the screen has alot less glare.

I hear all the things about the quality of the plastic, but in 2008 when i had a WhiteBook for about 9 months, i never had any issues with cracking - so i just hope this one is the same.

Yurtal
May 30, 2009, 04:56 AM
I actually did the same thing but sold my uBM because of its lack of FW. I bought a 2.0Ghz whitebook in it's place and love it, esp the FW400!

The screen quality is worse, but its a very powerful portable workhorse that is great for audio devices in the field.

The unibody macbook was pretty amazing I have to say and it was tough giving it up, but after a while I just couldn't justify not having a FW port. It really limits anyone who wants new 13" mac for audio. If there wasn't the whitebook the only options would be, second hand or $1500+ for a MBP.

ruku
May 30, 2009, 06:02 AM
id say the best thing to do if you like your current computer was stated a few posts before which is to get a matte antiglare shield. its like 35 dollars or so and youll get rid of a lot of glare. however i recently dropped my uMBP and the aluminium is piss poor in my judgement. ive been thinking about selling it and getting a new white MB (or the rumored netbook) and a good mac desktop of some sort.
go with what feels right but seriously think about getting that sheild before you jump ship.

veo321
May 30, 2009, 07:08 AM
The one in the Apple store has minor improvements like 2.13GHz and 160GB Hardrive :)