Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
So here is the deal.

I currently have a 2.54 GHZ Macbook Pro Matte last gen that I got off Amazon when Apple announced the new aluminum Macbooks/Pros.

I wanted to go back to the Macbook for a few reasons.
  1. I like the smaller 13" size
  2. I am not doing anything that is considered "PRO" user like. Only do a weekly podcast, some video editing, mostly writing and web surfing.
  3. The Macbook Pro cooks my legs while on my lap.
  4. I love the form factor of the AluMacbooks

There is one major thing that bugs me about the AluMacbook. The screen. And to a lesser extent the lack of firewire.

Basically I want a smaller laptop and one that runs cooler.

I purchased a AluMacbook on Wednesday (2.0ghz) with the plan to put in a 400GB HD, 4GB of ram and sell the Macbook Pro on Ebay. And am now waiting until WWDC to see what happens (they said I can return it/or swap it with no restocking fee if something is announced).

What would you do? Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, what stopped you from buying the MB before was the screen and yet as of this week Apple quietly updated the screens so your top reason for not wanting the MB has been taken care of. I would say now that you seem to have most everything in the MB you want then selling the MBP is a good idea. Now I know there's no FireWire, but how much did you use it? I would go for a new MB today versus an older MBP.

What will WWDC bring? Who knows but you already seem to have that solved. ;)

mrmahaffey

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
The Moon
The MB will cook your legs but if you wear jeans your fine. I suggest this (below) , my wife does the same exact stuff, this works great.

2.4 GHz Macbook with 2 GB of ram. The rest you can read on the site.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Two days ago I sold my early 2008 MBP, yesterday I bought a unibody MB. I am not regretting it at all. I love the unibody!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Umm I had the new Unibody MB and it never cooked my legs. Hell, it rarely ran hot at all.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Thanks for the input guys. I will stick with the Aluminum Macbook and see what happens on the 8th. The Pro will be on Ebay tonight.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for the input guys. I will stick with the Aluminum Macbook and see what happens on the 8th. The Pro will be on Ebay tonight.

I'm looking to pick up a uMB too.. just put up my Rev. A Pro on eBay. You should make plenty off of your Pro; the average selling price of a Rev. A. is $900 - $1200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.