PDA

View Full Version : aim 4.7

Scenicroadways
May 6, 2004, 08:31 PM
Aim for mac is probably the slowest most unresponsive software I have ever used for os x. Anyone have the same problems?

bousozoku
May 6, 2004, 09:00 PM
I don't find it to be all that bad but I do tend to avoid it more because of the advertisements and the bandwidth/CPU that they steal.

saabmp3
May 6, 2004, 10:50 PM
Try using Adium, Fire or Proteus. Gaim is also a feasible option althought Adium basically is Gaim but easier on the eyes. I don't think many people actually use AIM for mac's, it is rather pathetic as a resource hog.

BEN

MoparShaha
May 7, 2004, 12:21 AM
I stopped using AIM specifically because of this reason. My machines are by no means slow, but AIM is just a dog. I use iChat because it is immensly faster, and I like how my buddies are shown by their real names, not screen names. Adium is even better in terms of speed and unobtrusiveness. AIM does have some nice features that neither iChat nor Adium possess, so sometimes it's necessary, but I tend to avoid it.

baby duck monge
May 7, 2004, 02:48 PM
Aim for mac is probably the slowest most unresponsive software I have ever used for os x. Anyone have the same problems?

when i first got my ibook i only had 128mb RAM (was going to upgrade right away, but unexpected car repairs prevented it). during that time, i basically could not use anything else at the same time as AIM. switching to ichat made a HUGE difference, and i stuck with that until the new version of adium became more useable (though sometimes i have to revert when adium misbehaves).

so yeah, AIM is huge, and the problems you are having with it are normal. switching to a different program is recommended.

if you switch to ichat, i suggest looking into SIMBL so you can also get iCar

Scenicroadways
May 7, 2004, 03:19 PM
I actually use ichat too, but use AIM for some of the features when I need/want them. For some reason closing/opening windows, and even typing is just painfully slow.

mms
May 8, 2004, 07:57 PM
And AIM has ads, which suck. I used to use it in OS 9 (since unfortunately, there were no alternatives) but I'm now a faithful user of Adium. It's a great application.
http://adium.sourceforge.net/

FuzzyBallz
May 8, 2004, 09:00 PM
If you like AIM, you should really switch over to iChat on Mac. iChat is compatible w/ AIM, look like it too, but w/o the banner and ads, and way faster too. I use AIM for WinXP and iChat for Panther, they just work better in their native platform.