Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
recently purchased a 17pb bto, 5400rpm, 128vid card, about a week ago, seemed to be working fine. had 2 accounts setup, was updating an 3g ipod on the second account, had trouble recognizing the ipod on the desktop, tried closing some apps, got spinning ball, couldn't do anything else, finally switched to the other account, closed most of those apps, however itunes wouldn't close, got spinning ball again. tried force quit, was asked for admin id and password, entered it, but still spinning ball.
nothing happened for a few minutes, couldn't seem to do anything, finally pressed and help the start button. now a black screen. appears to be asleep, if i press a key i can hear something (hard drive maybe?), but nothing. sometimes i can see a slight outline of the screens like you would see if you activated expose. but can't seem to do anything.
called apple support, but didn't realize they don't offer support after 6pm. for a switcher, this sounds unbelievable.
any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Hit your F2 key and see if the screen comes on, if not check your manual for how to reset the PMU

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Sometimes I have found that a book will get locked somehow into sleep mode. You can try holding the powerbutton down for several seconds, then release. If that doesn't work, take out the battery, unplug it, and wait a few min. Re-assemble your book and try to power her up.

hatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
new pb user - screen is blank

thanks for replies. found the problem. was able to restart the pb, however when i plugged in the ipod, the ipod updater kept locking up everything. finally restarted the pb with the ipod already plugged in and it updated the ipod software without locking the pb.
thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.