PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Logic Boards in iBooks--Need Info

yoda13
May 7, 2004, 01:06 AM
Hello, I have a quick question. I have an iBook laying around that I had to have the logic board replaced on after it failed through Apple Care. I don't use this computer anymore and would like to give it to my neice as she goes off to college. She doesn't need a heavy duty computer, just one for email, web, iTunes, and office. What I need to know is if this new logic board is a better design, or did Apple simply replace the defective logic board with another that is going to fail again soon? I don't want to give her a computer to take off to college that is going to be a problem waiting to happen. Any information or advice concerning these matters would be greatly appeciated. Thanks

arogge
May 7, 2004, 01:22 AM
Apple Care will replace the board with one from the available stock. It isn't likely to fail after Apple installs it.

caveman_uk
May 7, 2004, 03:17 AM
There are reports of some people having multiple failures i.e. having the board replaced several times only to have it fail again and again. Having said that, that may have been when the fault was first spotted and before Apple knew what was actually the problem. I doubt Apple wants to keep replacing ibook logic boards again and again for the next couple of years so I'd hope they'd know what was wrong by now.

In fact I really hope so as my logic board died in November (11 months old) and it's been replaced and I don't want to send it back again...

Mord
May 7, 2004, 09:48 AM
if it is in the logic board replacement program it will not fail agian they developed a new desighn that dose not fail like that.

when mine came back it said the logic board had been upgraded to a more reliable one

Blurb
May 7, 2004, 12:25 PM
I just had to have the logic board replaced for the 2nd time in my ibook. Purchased it 11/02, replaced it first time 7/03 (under Applecare), and the second time about 2 weeks ago.

I asked the Applestore Genius why the 2nd logic board failure, and got a nonspecific answer suggesting that replacements done SINCE the logic board replacement program began shouldn't fail. The ibook has worked fine otherwise.

I'd suggest you talk with an Applestore Genius (or Tech support at the 800#) to see if they can assure you that the new logic board in your ibook is one that fits whatever standards the replacement program may have. If not, get them to replace it with one that does. Then your niece should be "good to go" with a great laptop to start college!

yoda13
May 7, 2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the help and information. The board was replaced with one before the announcement of the logic board replacement program, so I will give my local, (if you count 2 hrs. away as local :p ), Apple Store a call and talk to a genius to see if I can get an updated logic board. Once again, thanks for all of the help :)

SlowX
May 7, 2004, 05:35 PM
I just got my iBook back from Apple after getting the logic board repaired, and they updated me to OS10.3. They included disks and everything.

The nclosed documentation says that the new board needs the latest versions of the OS, and even say it needs an extra update beyond OS 9.2.2, go figure.

So I say update it and get panther to boot!

Then again, I say a lot of other things too.
heh

Giaguara
May 7, 2004, 05:37 PM
the logic boards in the new ones is different. but still the logic board issue occurs in them too (happened to my neighbor 2 weeks ago).

they are still both ibook types included in the extended warranty (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/).

jemeinc
May 7, 2004, 05:53 PM
Apple Care will replace the board with one from the available stock. It isn't likely to fail after Apple installs it.

Couldn't disagree more... It is just as likely to fail as it was the first time... Don't believe what Apple tells you on this one, they're not being truthful... Just like they denied there was a problem the day before they announced the repair plan... I had 3 failures before they finally gave in & credited me $ 1099.00...

OnceUGoMac
May 7, 2004, 05:59 PM
I had an iBook with the logicboard issues. After sending it in twice, I asked if they could replace the entire iBook. They agreed and replaced my 500 mHz G3 with a new 800mHz G4. Just ask them. If it is a known issue, they'll make it right. That said, however, I will not buy a laptop again from anyone.

yoda13
May 7, 2004, 07:09 PM
I had an iBook with the logicboard issues. After sending it in twice, I asked if they could replace the entire iBook. They agreed and replaced my 500 mHz G3 with a new 800mHz G4. Just ask them. If it is a known issue, they'll make it right. That said, however, I will not buy a laptop again from anyone.

I know how you feel. I have had my Powermac for almost three years and no troubles that were due to any manufacturing/design flaws at all. My iBook, and a TiBook that I owned for a while have been really troublesome. Unfortunately, with my mobile lifestyle and being a grad student, I need a laptop. Having said that, I don't blame you :)

arogge
May 11, 2004, 06:21 PM
Couldn't disagree more... It is just as likely to fail as it was the first time...

That's not a valid probability, unless you know that the replacement will come from the same batch as the original. It is very unlikely that the same distribution of bad boards will exist in a different batch. Only if there is a uncorrected problem other than random manufacturing errors will a similar distribution occur; the exact same distribution is still unlikely to occur.

jemeinc
May 11, 2004, 08:02 PM
That's not a valid probability, unless you know that the replacement will come from the same batch as the original. It is very unlikely that the same distribution of bad boards will exist in a different batch. Only if there is a uncorrected problem other than random manufacturing errors will a similar distribution occur; the exact same distribution is still unlikely to occur.

The iBook logic board problem is a design flaw.. That's why it will continue to break down...

Mord
May 12, 2004, 12:43 PM
this subject is rather hazey my logic board has been good for a month now and if it fails again i'll demand a new ibook

Judo
May 12, 2004, 08:02 PM
Well, from what I can tell, they haven't really fixed the problem.
This is what I know. (not 100% certain though).
The problem is caused by a chip on the logic board that has a thermal pad on it which is in contact with a thin metal sheild. Now because the iBooks have a little bit of flex in them it causes the metal shield to twist a little pulling on the thermal pad which is attached to the chip on the logic board, causing the contacts to weaken.

What apple have tried to do to fix this is put a little plastic standoff around this chip .
They are really stuck between a rock and a hard place here. The chips thermal pad needs enough contact to dissapate enough heat, but with too much contact the chip will possible fail.
Redesigning the logic board would cost way to much.

I don't know what SlowX is on about.