PDA

View Full Version : 'Face Match' Brings Facial Recognition to Your iPhone

MacRumors
May 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/30/face-match-brings-facial-recognition-to-your-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/05/30/215340-faces-found.png

iPhone developer PolarBearFarm (http://www.polarbearfarm.com) released Face Match [$0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310972844&mt=8)] to the App Store yesterday. The app promises to bring the feature similar to Apple's iPhoto facial recognition to your iPhone.Face Match brings face detection and recognition to the iPhone.

Simply take a photo, and Face Match will detect and attempt to recognize people in the photo. Face Match learns every time you name people in a photo, improving recognition accuracy the more you use it.The app also integrates with Facebook by allowing you to tag photos and upload them directly to Facebook.

The app works by uploading images directly to their server where facial recognition is performed. The results are then sent back to your iPhone. As a result, an internet connection is required for use.

App Store Link: Face Match, $0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310972844&mt=8)

Article Link: 'Face Match' Brings Facial Recognition to Your iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/30/face-match-brings-facial-recognition-to-your-iphone/)

jmann
May 30, 2009, 09:03 PM
That is dumb. Not even the phone is doing this. It's just sending the photo to some sever. :rolleyes: That is a let down IMO.

mikeinternet
May 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
So when apple eventually brings this to the built-in photo app what happens to this company?

Excellerator
May 30, 2009, 09:50 PM
I could see this with the rumored autofocus on the the new iPhone, but what is the sense with the current models. They don't focus anyway?????

notjustjay
May 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm really not comfortable with the idea of their servers receiving all these photos of people from everywhere. Seems like a potential invasion of privacy, especially if I'm taking your photo without telling you that the pictures are going to some off-site database for further storage and recognition.

Polar Bear Farm
May 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
That is dumb. Not even the phone is doing this. It's just sending the photo to some sever. :rolleyes: That is a let down IMO.

There are good reasons for having this process happen server side at the moment. Face recognition is an inherently difficult thing to do well, by having this happen server side, we can easily make changes to the recognition system and instantly get feedback on whether these changes are improving recognition success or not.

The plan is to shift everything into the iPhone client and cut the dependence on our webservers, once we're at a point where the recognition system is tuned to it's best.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd

Polar Bear Farm
May 30, 2009, 10:41 PM
So when apple eventually brings this to the built-in photo app what happens to this company?

We've survived so far ;-) We're the first commercial developer for the iPhone, we've exhibited at MacWorld Expo '08 before any iPhone SDK was even released, and again in '09. We were first to provide spotlight style contact and calendar searching on the iPhone in '07, first to bring video recording to the iPhone... We have a range of other products on the App Store so we're well and truly committed to this platform.

I'm really not comfortable with the idea of their servers receiving all these photos of people from everywhere. Seems like a potential invasion of privacy, especially if I'm taking your photo without telling you that the pictures are going to some off-site database for further storage and recognition.

As the developer of Face Match we're very clear that any information you upload is private to your own account. Facial features extracted from photos you upload are not used or accessible in anyway by any other user account. Photos are not kept on our servers, once facial features are extracted, the photos themselves are no longer required and are deleted from our servers.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd

mikeinternet
May 30, 2009, 10:53 PM
We've survived so far ;-) We're the first commercial developer for the iPhone, we've exhibited at MacWorld Expo '08 before any iPhone SDK was even released, and again in '09. We were first to provide spotlight style contact and calendar searching on the iPhone in '07, first to bring video recording to the iPhone... We have a range of other products on the App Store so we're well and truly committed to this platform.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd

Respect to your work. Do you take in to account Apples ability to sweep certain ideas out from under you? Apple will always have the resources to better tie in apps to their platform. So when you make a something like a global search or video capture app that will inevitable make to the phone as a built in feature, you must know that it comes with an expiration date.

jmann
May 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
There are good reasons for having this process happen server side at the moment. Face recognition is an inherently difficult thing to do well, by having this happen server side, we can easily make changes to the recognition system and instantly get feedback on whether these changes are improving recognition success or not.

The plan is to shift everything into the iPhone client and cut the dependence on our webservers, once we're at a point where the recognition system is tuned to it's best.

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd

Nice to know. Thanks for that. It's nice to hear from the developer. :)

severe
May 30, 2009, 11:01 PM
Respect to your work. Do you take in to account Apples ability to sweep certain ideas out from under you? Apple will always have the resources to better tie in apps to their platform. So when you make a something like a global search or video capture app that will inevitable make to the phone as a built in feature, you must know that it comes with an expiration date.

New to computers, Mike?

:p

mikeinternet
May 30, 2009, 11:17 PM
New to computers, Mike?

:p

Touche.

iphones4evry1
May 30, 2009, 11:49 PM
Too bad the camera does not have antishake/image-stabilization technology, and more than half of all the pictures I take on my iPhone are blurry. Hopefully the next iPhone will have image stabilization technology.

RedTomato
May 31, 2009, 05:45 AM
Looks nice. Will be nice to have my photos tagged with names. (No I don't use facebook, and don't plan to buy the new iLife).

The dev didn't mention that it is on sale for 99c today and tomorrow, and will increase by price by $1/day till final price is reached.

I bought it today.

Cubert
May 31, 2009, 08:55 AM

Layton Duncan
Polar Bear Farm Ltd

I can't believe you are charging only $.99 for this app! This is tremendous technology available for a pittance.

twoodcc
May 31, 2009, 03:06 PM
seems pretty cool. except that you have to have internet to use it. but better than nothing

sux2beyou
May 31, 2009, 07:42 PM
So I looked at the other apps by this developer, and it looks like most of them are going to be replaced by the 3.0 update.

Recorder: 3.0 will have a voice recorder come standard
Telegram: 3.0 will have the ability to send voice notes via MMS
Search: 3.0 will have built in search
Note Pad: 3.0 will have the ability to sync notes.

They all look well built, sorry that they look like there going to become obsolete.
Good luck with this Face Match app.

vvebsta
Jun 3, 2009, 05:23 AM
very cool...maybe iphone 3.0 will have it built in

instaxgirl
Jun 3, 2009, 06:48 AM
It would be nice if it synced with iPhoto, especially since iPhoto sucks ass at facial recognition

citi
Jun 3, 2009, 11:33 AM
So I looked at the other apps by this developer, and it looks like most of them are going to be replaced by the 3.0 update.

Recorder: 3.0 will have a voice recorder come standard
Telegram: 3.0 will have the ability to send voice notes via MMS
Search: 3.0 will have built in search
Note Pad: 3.0 will have the ability to sync notes.

They all look well built, sorry that they look like there going to become obsolete.
Good luck with this Face Match app.

not everyone is going to update to 3.0. Keep that in mind. People are still running Panther for god sakes!

Polar Bear Farm
Jun 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
not everyone is going to update to 3.0. Keep that in mind. People are still running Panther for god sakes!

That and the fact that in our opinion, Apple do a poor job of a lot of those tasks in 3.0

saligh22
Jun 7, 2009, 04:34 PM
OS3 is a new thing. It takes time until it becomes a good mature OS

rebnorman
Jun 8, 2009, 08:18 AM
Is free at the moment in Honor of the Day. Seems worth a try.

genii
Jun 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
Is it just me or does this thing not work at all, it barely finds the faces let alone recognizes them, shame because its a brilliant idea.