PDA

View Full Version : "The Smurfs Movie" logo...

IgnatiusTheKing
May 31, 2009, 05:51 AM
Comingsoon.net claims this is real, but I have a hard time believing any studio would employ and actual artist/designer that was this bad. Maybe an executive worked it up in Word...

Terrible.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55935

nick9191
May 31, 2009, 06:12 AM
WordArt ftl.

Blue Velvet
May 31, 2009, 06:36 AM
My hunch is that it's probably a comp/teaser but I dunno. It's The Smurfs. It seems pretty well-targeted at the movie's intended audience of little kids. Bright, fun, slightly sparkly... unthreatening with a touch of tagging-style typography, suggesting that the movie is going to have some song and dance numbers. Relatively low-budget.

OK, so it's spack-filled with Photoshop fx, but my real criticism is that the letter-forms are hard-edged where I would have expected a bit more curvature, roundedness and bounce to them. Apparently the movie is going to be in 3D so maybe that's why they didn't use something flatter in appearance.

I generally like Pixar's logo work for their movie marketing. The one for Up is perfect; simple and evocative of the movie's subject, reproduces on virtually any media at almost any size, positive or reversed.

IgnatiusTheKing
May 31, 2009, 06:49 AM
My hunch is that it's probably a comp/teaser but I dunno. It's The Smurfs. It seems pretty well-targeted at the movie's intended audience of little kids. Bright, fun, slightly sparkly... unthreatening with a touch of tagging-style typography, suggesting that the movie is going to have some song and dance numbers. Relatively low-budget.

OK, so it's spack-filled with Photoshop fx, but my real criticism is that the letter-forms are hard-edged where I would have expected a bit more curvature, roundedness and bounce to them. Apparently the movie is going to be in 3D so maybe that's why they didn't use something flatter in appearance.

I generally like Pixar's logo work for their movie marketing. The one for Up is perfect; simple and evocative of the movie's subject, reproduces on virtually any media at almost any size, positive or reversed.

I agree, but even if this is a comp, it's still horrible. The final version will undoubtedly be better, but this is just amateurish. Surprisingly so.

bruinsrme
May 31, 2009, 06:58 AM
I must be missing something :rolleyes:

Andrew K.
Jun 5, 2009, 01:24 PM
I think it's the shade they're using and the direction the rendering is in, plus that hat wouldn't sit on the "S" like that it looks unnatural, I agree with the other poster, Pixar knows when to make it simple or complex.

bluetooth
Jun 5, 2009, 02:36 PM
I think it's the shade they're using and the direction the rendering is in, plus that hat wouldn't sit on the "S" like that it looks unnatural, I agree with the other poster, Pixar knows when to make it simple or complex.

Exactly the first thing I noticed...the hat is floating or hovering over the letter, when the intention (or so it woud seem) would be for it be hanging off of it.