PDA

View Full Version : Startup Mac Sound

Coolvirus007
May 7, 2004, 09:42 AM
Hi,

Last night, I suddenly had to do a quick email before I forgot. Then when I turn my new pb on, it was connected to large speaker system and it made pretty large start up noise. Also had a heart attack - really, not the expression. I wan't to know if there a file that I can delete to stop this noise (or something else that would be permanent)

- I know that if you mute the comp before shut down, it doesn't ring. But I'm not muting my computer before every shut down.
- I do want to keep my speaker system plugged in to the computer so don't suggest plugging in head phones because I'm not doing that every time.
- Oh, and please don't say to keep the computer on all the time because it runs on UNIX, etc. Its just stupid for a normal home user to keep a computer on 24/7.

Thanks

applemacdude
May 7, 2004, 09:46 AM
Um, that sound says that the mac is running all good and well and I dont think you can take it off its part of the boot rom. Could you just try sleeping the computer then it wont make any noise when u turn it back up?

Frisco
May 7, 2004, 10:04 AM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21378&vid=136670&mode=info

wrldwzrd89
May 7, 2004, 10:06 AM
Oh, and please don't say to keep the computer on all the time because it runs on UNIX, etc. Its just stupid for a normal home user to keep a computer on 24/7.
Please explain your reasoning - I find it much easier to just leave the computer running in sleep mode (or no sleep at all after I starting running Folding@Home), then wake it up when I return to it. That way, I don't have to hear the start-up sound every time I return to my machine. Also, I can use my Mac faster from sleep than from a cold boot and even faster if I tell it not to sleep - in that case, the only component that needs to wake up is the monitor. If I were you, I'd put the Mac to sleep instead of shutting it down (unless you have an older Mac that freezes when it wakes from sleep); you'll save time and your ears that way.

jeremy.king
May 7, 2004, 10:17 AM
How about just turning the volume down on your large speaker system?

maxterpiece
May 7, 2004, 11:01 AM
It depends on your computer, but i think a computer uses the same amount of power starting up as it does sleeping for like 10 hours.

applemacdude
May 7, 2004, 12:18 PM
NO. Teh computer does not use teh same amount of enegy as if it was one. IM not sure how much energy it takes in sleep mode but itr doesnt waste as much energy as if it were on

jxyama
May 7, 2004, 01:03 PM
It depends on your computer, but i think a computer uses the same amount of power starting up as it does sleeping for like 10 hours.

my PB loses about 1% charge per hour. if i put mine to sleep with 100% at night, in the morning, it'll be about 90%.

if i start up after a full charge, it will be much closer to 100%, at least 98%.

cpjakes
May 7, 2004, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Last night, I suddenly had to do a quick email before I forgot. Then when I turn my new pb on, it was connected to large speaker system and it made pretty large start up noise. Also had a heart attack - really, not the expression. I wan't to know if there a file that I can delete to stop this noise (or something else that would be permanent)

- I know that if you mute the comp before shut down, it doesn't ring. But I'm not muting my computer before every shut down.
- I do want to keep my speaker system plugged in to the computer so don't suggest plugging in head phones because I'm not doing that every time.
- Oh, and please don't say to keep the computer on all the time because it runs on UNIX, etc. Its just stupid for a normal home user to keep a computer on 24/7.

Thanks

So you leave an amp and speaker system on all day but not your computer? Huh... :confused:

Anyway, you could write some scripts to mute the sound before shutdown/logout and then turn it back on upon startup/login. Once configured properly, you'll never notice it.

cpjakes

maxterpiece
May 7, 2004, 01:14 PM
But once you take into account the fact that you have to save all your work before you shut down, then you have to reopen everything after you start up, that's maybe 2 or 3% more. My laptop loses maybe 40% battery life per hour, or 1.5% every minute. That means you uses 40 times less power when it's asleep. It's much different with a powerbook because even when it is on it conserves power better than a desktop. Compared to a powerbook, a G5 desktop uses a ton more power when it is on, however when it is asleep it uses a similar amount. Let's say a G5 uses 10x as much power while it is on than the powerbook - that means on the G5 the 5% battery life you use shutting down and starting up on your powerbook would be the equivalent to 50% battery life or 50 hours of sleep time. Even if it's a G3 or G4, with the fan and the big display and the general lack of consideration for power saving, it would still use at least 5x as much power as a PB - that's 25 hours of sleep time. Not to mention, time is money... waking up from sleep is much faster than starting up.

my PB loses about 1% charge per hour. if i put mine to sleep with 100% at night, in the morning, it'll be about 90%.

if i start up after a full charge, it will be much closer to 100%, at least 98%.

jxyama
May 7, 2004, 01:47 PM
My laptop loses maybe 40% battery life per hour, or 1.5% every minute. That means you uses 40 times less power when it's asleep.

that's a problem with your battery. it's not that your laptop is using a lot more power than mine, rather your battery is practically dead and cannot hold charge. energy consumption of the machine doesn't depend on the battery condition.

for practically purposes, i understand that you'd want to shut down if your battery capacity is that depleted, but it's not because the machine is drawing that much more power during sleep.

Froduss
May 7, 2004, 02:47 PM
What follows is some light hearted good nature sarcastic Friday afternoon fun...

Heh heh, despite everyone beating up this poor guy :), I'm totally on the same boat as him with the sound. I present to you possible reasons why this nutty guy would request such an absurd thing and some comments on some points others made:

1.Leaving a computer on for HOURS or DAYS and let the ball bearings in a fan wear out (even if the fan speed is at greatly reduced speed, it still is a mechanical compenent that is creating wear) is pointless. If I plan on not using my computer for a while, or I am going to leave the house for an hour, I generally turn it off, never know if a storm might be brewing also.

2.The startup noise disregards the volume you have your OS set to (which of course is understandle since the OS has yet to boot up), so you get the true volume that your speaker is set to (which is generally louder going to be louder). It is annoying, I agree with him. It would be cooler if that sound would just come from an internal speaker.

3.What if this guy truly thought he wasn't going to be using his computer for a long period of time. Perhaps, he went to bed, planning on a busy next day, out of town perhaps... Then, 3AM in the morning, babies are sound asleep (finally, so now he can get some rest for the busy work day), he wakes up because he forgot to send out an email, goes to the Mac, then that sound, then comes the stirring in the other room, and then the crying... What a nut, he should have left it on. Hey, PC speakers are easy to forget to turn off. I have some crap speakers, but loud is loud, and mine is even worse, because I don't get that "feel good" fuzzy bass feeling with mine :)

And, in regards to the one that mentioned how it's the sound that lets us know our Mac is alive and well. I liken that to the time Homer, on The Simpsons, invented the "Everything's OK Alarm", which kept going off to let everyone know "Everything's OK". I think it is pretty obvious if your Mac isn't ok when, after 20 minutes of waiting, you still are looking at a frozen startup screen...

Have a good weekend guys,
Aaron

SlowX
May 7, 2004, 03:14 PM
see, i go the other way: I want to play any sound I want at startup, like i did back in my OS9 days.

no apps, no renaming files, just pop a sound in the "startup" folder and "boom" (or "tadah" or "my sharona" or whatever).

yeah.

Frisco
May 7, 2004, 03:20 PM
A lot of posts here unrelated to the original question.

The fact remains that Startup Chime Stopper removes the startup sound.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21378&vid=136670&mode=info

musicpyrite
May 7, 2004, 03:20 PM

Let me assume your in college (sorry if I'm worng), but how the HELL do you get 9 HOURS of sleep?!?!?!?!?!?!

I thought I was lucky to get 5.5 hours of sleep, and I'm only in high shcool.

:confused:

quagmire
May 7, 2004, 03:25 PM
What follows is some light hearted good nature sarcastic Friday afternoon fun...

Heh heh, despite everyone beating up this poor guy :), I'm totally on the same boat as him with the sound. I present to you possible reasons why this nutty guy would request such an absurd thing and some comments on some points others made:

1.Leaving a computer on for HOURS or DAYS and let the ball bearings in a fan wear out (even if the fan speed is at greatly reduced speed, it still is a mechanical compenent that is creating wear) is pointless. If I plan on not using my computer for a while, or I am going to leave the house for an hour, I generally turn it off, never know if a storm might be brewing also.

2.The startup noise disregards the volume you have your OS set to (which of course is understandle since the OS has yet to boot up), so you get the true volume that your speaker is set to (which is generally louder going to be louder). It is annoying, I agree with him. It would be cooler if that sound would just come from an internal speaker.

3.What if this guy truly thought he wasn't going to be using his computer for a long period of time. Perhaps, he went to bed, planning on a busy next day, out of town perhaps... Then, 3AM in the morning, babies are sound asleep (finally, so now he can get some rest for the busy work day), he wakes up because he forgot to send out an email, goes to the Mac, then that sound, then comes the stirring in the other room, and then the crying... What a nut, he should have left it on. Hey, PC speakers are easy to forget to turn off. I have some crap speakers, but loud is loud, and mine is even worse, because I don't get that "feel good" fuzzy bass feeling with mine :)

And, in regards to the one that mentioned how it's the sound that lets us know our Mac is alive and well. I liken that to the time Homer, on The Simpsons, invented the "Everything's OK Alarm", which kept going off to let everyone know "Everything's OK". I think it is pretty obvious if your Mac isn't ok when, after 20 minutes of waiting, you still are looking at a frozen startup screen...

Have a good weekend guys,
Aaron

1. The guy does not leave his computer on and running. He probably sleeps it and shuts it down before he goes to bed. When you sleep it everything turns off except for the ram.

2.He can turn down the speakers that he has plugged in. It takes little effort to turn it down and back it up.You can plug it in a surge protector it greatly decreases the chance for frying the computer. I don't think its good for the computer turning it off and booting it up evry hour or so. Just shut it down before you go to bed.

You don't want to stop the chime on your mac coolvirus. What I heard that thing from version tracker also stops the waring chime that tells you if a problem is detected in the computer while start up. So if you, stop that from happening your computer might have a problem on start up and it gives you 4 different chimes. The first chime is the normal start up chime. There are 3 more saying that there is a problem. I forgot what the problems chime means. So when you take it to the Genuis bar and they start it up and no start up chime happens; they are going to say thereb is your problem you deactivate the start up chime so they can't here the problems chime. Since the computer doesn't continue on start up if dected a problem you can't go to delete the chime deactivater. So they would probablr ahve to do is some how to wipe your disk and reinstall the OS. So to save your time and apple's time don't do it. I repeat DON'T DEACTIVATE THE START UP CHIME!!!!!!!

jxyama
May 7, 2004, 03:35 PM
Let me assume your in college (sorry if I'm worng), but how the HELL do you get 9 HOURS of sleep?!?!?!?!?!?!

well, i don't. not during the week, at least... ;)

i'm not on my Mac right up to when i go to bed and i'm not on it right after i get up. :p

and no, i'm not in college. i'm older. :cool:

Sayer
May 7, 2004, 04:21 PM
Instead of saying they are wrong for turning off the computer why not simply suggest that they turn the speakers on after the computer is started up?

Or perhaps unplug the speakers on shutdown and plug them in after starting up?

That sound is not to annoy you, it is as was stated earlier that it indicates the Mac's hardware passed POST (Power On Self Tests). If you heard a series of beeps you'd have a dead CPU, a bad RAM module or no RAM at all. This being about a laptop it is more susceptible to being damaged and these tones are an important initial diagnostic if and when the computer won't start up.

BTW: The JBL Creature speakers have to be the worst ergonomic design ever. The power button is on the sub-woofer, the bottom edge on the back side of the thing, in between all of the wires. Its sitting on the bottle shelf of my computer desk, towards the back so I have go around the side, reach way back there and turn it on/off.

Now if that isn't the dumbest design ever, I don't know what is (other than not having a power button at all).

iKwak
May 8, 2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the version tracker link. I should check it out.

Coolvirus007
May 8, 2004, 04:50 AM
Thank you to Frisco for actually answering my question. What I do with my Mac is my buisness. I generally turn applianances off when I don't use them even if it consumes very little energy.

And to make the situation clear - I shut down the computer when I went to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to turn it on because I forgot to send a very important e-mail. I don't turn it off everytime when I leave the to get a cup of tea and come back and turn it back on. Thats just daft.

And I do understand that this chime is very important in determining if anything is wrong with the computer.

Save energy.

superbovine
May 8, 2004, 11:22 AM
the easiest way without software is hold F3 when you turn on your notebook. that will mute the sound. the reason why i say mute instead of use software is because you won't need extra software running and the chime provides important troubleshooting information on the event that your computer won't boot.

Fuchal
May 8, 2004, 03:56 PM

I'm in college and get sleep all the time!
Although I never did in high school... :rolleyes: