PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're A Designer When...

Intel Inside
May 31, 2009, 11:53 AM
You buy a pack of gum, just for the packaging,
Look at Comic Sans MS and "worst font ever" comes to mind,
Have your own website dedicated to Design

Share your own...

NXTMIKE
May 31, 2009, 12:49 PM
you always judge a book by its cover
your weekly sermon is to download iStockphoto's free image of the week.

destere
May 31, 2009, 01:18 PM
You see a Dulux 'We know the colours that go' van, look at the two colours on the van and think 'do these colours actually go?'.

Blue Velvet
May 31, 2009, 01:25 PM
• You know the CMYK splits for a number of Pantone solids by heart
• You can tell who knows what they're doing with type by looking at the spaces between words and the ends of the lines
• You don't hate any colour, they all have their uses
• You miss the smell of squeakers (as we used to call them) and the chalkiness of gouache
• You chafe, by instinct, against using A sizes for anything... despite practicality
• You pull apart cereal boxes and other packaging just to look at the spot plates on the bars
• You secretly start from the premise that the client is always wrong, in some way or another
• You have a love-hate relationship with printers, reps and pre-press guys (they're always guys)
• You do some of your best work listening to music, not sitting in silence
• You do some of your best work at 2am
• You really really like Helvetica, especially Neue, but never use it
• You really do care about matte displays
• You have a lot of black clothes... but you're not a goth
• You wish life had a history palette
• You post in threads like these, instead of working on that project that's causing problems
• You type your bullets

cube
May 31, 2009, 01:28 PM
You don't hate Flash sites.

Kwill
May 31, 2009, 03:04 PM
When you know when to use "your" as a opposed to "you're." :)

gregtuco
May 31, 2009, 04:34 PM
When to use an "En" dash and when to use an "Em" dash– in design, not HTML.

decksnap
May 31, 2009, 04:38 PM
You constantly think 'Apple+Z' when you screw something up in real life.
You do hate flash sites.

Phormic
May 31, 2009, 05:25 PM
You get annoyed when driving past gas stations and notice they have put the "8"s in the price signs upside down.

gregtuco
May 31, 2009, 05:58 PM
You're sitting in traffic and you start re-designing everything you see– billboards, signs, bumper stickers– by reflex.

sigmadog
Jun 1, 2009, 06:52 PM
You know you are a designer when...

You take your Pantone Swatch Book to the hardware store to buy paint.

Jim Campbell
Jun 2, 2009, 02:02 AM

You repeatedly find yourself looking at packaging and wondering whether you're the only person in the whole world who knows that if you baseline shift text on a path down a few points, it stops doing those horrible gaps opening up between the bottom of the characters when the text hits a particularly tight curve in the path.

Seriously. It's everywhere. Don't they teach kids anything these days?

Also: if you absolutely must use ComicsCartoon, there are extrabold variants of all the numbers, and punctuation, built into the font. It's ALT-SHIFT and whatever key you would normally press.

Cheers!

Jim

irishgrizzly
Jun 2, 2009, 04:29 AM
...you absent-mindedly start proofing menus in restaurants, instead of choosing your meal.

LERsince1991
Jun 2, 2009, 12:16 PM
You know you're a designer when you spend your money on projects rather than a holiday or uni

NStocks
Jun 2, 2009, 01:04 PM
When you spend 2 months wage on color calibration hardware and a A3 printer, rather than get a Car...

SwiftLives
Jun 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
You start naming and criticizing fonts at inopportune times (i.e. on a date, at the movies, in the airport...)

Woodrow72
Jun 2, 2009, 05:52 PM
• You secretly start from the premise that the client is always wrong, in some way or another

So true!!

• You have a love-hate relationship with printers, reps and pre-press guys (they're always guys)

Not all printers/prepress guys are bad. I am a prepress guy and I know how to correctly design files and make them ready for press. Just like not all designers are self centered, egotistical pretty boys who dont want you to touch their native files even when they are not press ready in the slightest

• You do some of your best work listening to music, not sitting in silence

So true, just ad the working in the dark part and you're spot on

You start naming and criticizing fonts at inopportune times (i.e. on a date, at the movies, in the airport...)

On my first date with my wife I did this. Me "do you know what the name of that font is?" pointing to the menu at the restaurant. My wife "What? Font? umm no". Me "Its copperplate gothic bold." feeling good about myself. My wife "oh...you know what font that is huh?". Me "Yes!" now feeling like a total loser.

Its ok I guess my nerdiness charmed her in some way or another.

Ok so here's one of my own
You know you're a desiner when you can point out in movies, tv shows, etc. that the computer that is being used is a mac, and you can either name the model number or the generation of the computer.

Kwill
Jun 2, 2009, 07:12 PM
...you spend more time and money on your portfolio than you do on your clothes to present it.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 2, 2009, 07:23 PM

You take your Pantone Swatch Book to the hardware store to buy paint.

Been there, done that :D

a cat *miaow*
Jun 3, 2009, 06:48 AM
That you believe you're inherently better than other people.

SwiftLives
Jun 3, 2009, 08:27 AM
That you believe you're inherently better than other people.

Um...we are!

You've got to be your own #1 fan. No one else is going to be :)

Intel Inside
Jun 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
Some very good ones so far :D

Error Type -43
Jun 3, 2009, 02:15 PM
When you keep walking into Lush stores just to look at the writing on the chalkboards.

Lush USA (http://www.lushusa.com/shop)

idesign245
Jun 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
You name fonts used on commercials, posters and packaging in your head.

When you get a new apron at work, you do your name in helvetica...
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v651/124/109/503744977/n503744977_510964_1377799.jpg

Andrew K.
Jun 5, 2009, 01:08 PM
You change one color by 1/16 a shade and it looks completely different to you.

You look at anything in Papyrus and throw up in your mouth a little bit.

You always think of ways a local business can change their logo ( especially here in El Paso, TX where everything looks like it was done in MS Paint or Word Art!!! )

You judge every business card you're given.

You bookmarks contain: fonts, other design blogs, brushes, Photoshop stuff (I'm still a newb sorta ) :D and random sites that have nothing to do with design, you just like the logo.

my site is in my sig.

remmy
Jun 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
You line objects up, but you are not normally a neat person.
All your pencils are sharpened and you have nice pens.
You peel the label of not in frustration but because you like the design/typeface etc.

Blue Velvet
Jun 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

That's an excellent one. Spending more time on visually-setting display type and running out endless laser prints, instead of tidying the kitchen or my desk, is the usual practice in the BV household. I don't wait until things get so bad that I can't move or work anymore... but the dishes sometimes stack up. :o

My project folders and files are ruthlessly organised and labelled. I can probably find any of my work files without using Spotlight... but I keep on mislaying my steel rules and assorted pens, let alone household objects.

Bennieboy©
Jun 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
Um...we are!

agree with that totally ;)

LERsince1991
Jun 9, 2009, 07:29 AM

Agree with them 2 amongst a lot of others on here... We all obviously think along the same line.

Dojan5
Jun 9, 2009, 08:24 AM
You know you're a designer when...

You own a Mac
You can't stand websites using Times New Roman as default font
You keep on randomly talking French?

I know, the "You own a Mac" bit is a bit stereotypical, but you have to admit it, it's strong, and great looking, perfect for a designer like toi et moi.

fireball370
Jun 9, 2009, 02:12 PM
Not sure if it's just me, but

- you cringe when someone asks you to open/edit a quark file.

Jim Campbell
Jun 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

Heh. I a friend of mine cooked a meal for my wife and I when he was house-sitting for his parents. Whilst doing the washing up, I said to him:

"I'm sorry, I'm going to have to rearrange your parents' cutlery drawer."

"Why"

"Because they have the scissors in with the spoons."

"What?!"

"If you don't have a separate section for the scissors, then the scissors go with the knives. Function, you see? The cutting things go together."

"You're quite, quite mad."

"No, I'm not! Look -- the whisk goes with the forks. Grouped by function. I'm sorry. I can't help myself."

Do I need professional assistance?

Cheers

Jim

LERsince1991
Jun 9, 2009, 03:33 PM
Heh. I a friend of mine cooked a meal for my wife and I when he was house-sitting for his parents. Whilst doing the washing up, I said to him:

"I'm sorry, I'm going to have to rearrange your parents' cutlery drawer."

"Why"

"Because they have the scissors in with the spoons."

"What?!"

"If you don't have a separate section for the scissors, then the scissors go with the knives. Function, you see? The cutting things go together."

"You're quite, quite mad."

"No, I'm not! Look -- the whisk goes with the forks. Grouped by function. I'm sorry. I can't help myself."

Do I need professional assistance?

Cheers

Jim

Hilarious... it's like something you read in a book or some joke...
Very funny :D

'Do I need professional assistance?'
Nope, I guess you have OCD which means you have a designers mind ;)

Also;
'You know your a designer when...
you have one of those days where you get really annoyed because everything around you, your house, your street and your city is badly designed. You imagine yourself re-inventing everything...
...then I normally either go home and design something or get totally overwhelmed and feel like its a lost cause and go to sleep or get depressed.
Today it was go home and design something :)

NathanCH
Jun 9, 2009, 04:12 PM
...when you get mad when your friends talk about how awesome myspace is.

UGHHHHHHH

RedTomato
Jun 9, 2009, 06:09 PM
When you compare the cabling arrangements in rail stations (uk) with cable arrangements in London Underground tube stations.

St Alban's station (N of London on the Thames Link line) has some extremely neat cabling, looks like the cabling in an Apple or IBM server room, but most underground stations have messy cabling, with wires hanging out everywhere. Like a MySpace server room.

Some of the underground lines have nice cabling when they pop out and run on the surface in the suburbs - e.g. the Central Line in West London - they have rainbow-coloured arches of cabling 2 meters high every couple of miles.

Umm. Are my geek pants showing? I suppose that's more of a network admin than a designer kind of thing.

remmy
Jun 9, 2009, 06:17 PM
I guess its both a geek and design thing, as its all about lining things up and ordering things for aesthetics and functionality.

Andrew K.
Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 PM
You know you're a designer when...

You own a Mac
You can't stand websites using Times New Roman as default font
You keep on randomly talking French?

I know, the "You own a Mac" bit is a bit stereotypical, but you have to admit it, it's strong, and great looking, perfect for a designer like toi et moi.

I call it Times OLD Roman !!! :D

dmmcintyre3
Jun 10, 2009, 01:39 AM
You think of how you could rearrange ports/parts on a computer to fit more ports/parts in it.

(I can fit 2 mini display ports, 4 usb, SD, express card, side load CD, ethernet, sound in/out, FW 400 and 800 and a security slot on a 15 inch MBP case (with no stacked ports/slots) just by using the PB Alu case as a template)

ClassicFan
Jun 10, 2009, 01:48 AM
-When your friends see a flier and say,"You could design something so much better than that!"

-When you care what font you use on school assignments.

Designer Dale
Jun 10, 2009, 01:52 AM
You know you're a designer when you tell your friends that your buddy was a stripper and don't understand why the conversation stops dead.

Dale

remmy
Jun 10, 2009, 08:58 AM
If you keep a notebook beside the bed to record any ideas you have just before you fall asleep.

If your friends are always asking you to design them a website but they're not always sure what they want on it.

Rt&Dzine
Jun 10, 2009, 09:57 AM
You know you're a designer when you tell your friends that your buddy was a stripper and don't understand why the conversation stops dead.

Got a laugh out of that one! :D And I can really relate to trying to apply "Undo" to real life.

Here's mine:

Rush . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . .

Rush . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . .

Rush . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait . . . RUSH!

(I probably spend too much of my wait time on MR :p)

flrazor
Jun 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
I'm shaking my head...far too many of these hit too close to home. :)

How about:

...you recommend restaurants/stores/companies because you did work on their printed materials. "Yeah, I do know of a great place that just opened. I typeset their entire menu, so I can already tell you what's good."

...you freak out employees of those businesses by mentioning your involvement. "I designed your business cards, I already know your direct number!"

...you know the real difference between "rich black" and "solid black" and it bothers you when you can tell someone is using them incorrectly.

...you can't remember where to find something in an application menu, even though you know the keystroke without a moment's hesitation.

...you can do pica/point into inch conversions in your head.

..you've had at least one printer/pre-press op curse your name out loud. "Oh sweet, merciful crap. It's another one of Mike's files."

Error Type -43
Jun 11, 2009, 01:39 AM
The smell of printed goods is intoxicating...almost arousing.

ClassicFan
Jun 11, 2009, 01:44 AM
The smell of printed goods is intoxicating...almost arousing.

I know that feeling too well... I love the smell of card stock through a laser printer....;)

tblackheartt
Jun 11, 2009, 05:23 AM
You look at shops in town and think 'god why did they use that typeface'

RedTomato
Jun 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
If your friends are always asking you to design them a website but they're not always sure what they want on it.

Ba-ding!!
Ba-ding!!
Ba-ding!!
Ba-ding!!

Four times now! I now refuse all website design requests from friends / family. I only sort out hosting, email etc. That's a bit simpler.

Muncher
Jun 11, 2009, 09:36 AM
When your friend needs help on an ad poster, and sends you a Word doc with three lines of text and 10 different colors. And a stretched picture of Borat. And you get mad at them. :p

Andrew K.
Jun 11, 2009, 02:16 PM
You look at shops in town and think 'god why did they use that typeface'

I know! The ones in my city are UNBEARABLE sometimes, I'm finding out a way to get a job redoing them and telling them they need a new logo without telling them how horrible they are. :rolleyes:

bluetooth
Jun 11, 2009, 05:51 PM
You look at the layout, balance, typography and colours of flyers/ads in the newspaper rather then the actual products or promotion. :rolleyes:

You find you have a natural/good eye for fashion, interior design and architecture. :cool:

Apple //e
Jun 11, 2009, 07:39 PM
....you refer to graphic design as simply "design"

NSWMaps
Jun 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
You know you're a (graphic) designer when... while your working with any sort of paint, and you accidently spill it, or make a bad stroke, you hand reaches out in the Command-Option-Z Photoshop Claw of Death before you can stop yourself. Or you whip out you Nikon and meticulously photograph the work of genius you just spilled onto the canvas.

Simplesimon101
Jun 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
...you get asked 'so what is graphic design?' a lot.

...you're tired.

LERsince1991
Jun 13, 2009, 06:12 PM
- Your permanently tired because you can't switch off but at the same time you've always got energy to do design and live life :)

- You wait up all night waiting for my painted prototype to dry so I can do the next stage :)

- You almost dream up your designs; most creative at night time. I guess our minds are free from reality :D

P.S. love this thread... So true :D

murphoia
Jun 13, 2009, 06:16 PM

You read my mind.

After a long photoshop day, or website design day, I always think Apple+Z after I ***** up in real life.

Pretty funny.

Designer Dale
Jun 14, 2009, 01:07 AM
When you feel the need to tell Luke that he doesn't need to put www in front of his web address. And then appreciates that he capitalizes the separate words in his site address.

When it honestly pains you when you read a business card that says w.w.w.thisismywebsiteifyoucanpossiblyreadit.com

When you want to strangle the personal trainers at your gym over the horrid MS fliers and cards they seem so proud of..

Dale

Designer Dale
Jun 14, 2009, 01:11 AM
You know someone is a designer when you google "Luke Riggall" and get 4,320 hits. Mostly regarding a desk thing...

Dale

LERsince1991
Jun 14, 2009, 02:46 AM
When you feel the need to tell Luke that he doesn't need to put www in front of his web address. And then appreciates that he capitalizes the separate words in his site address.

When it honestly pains you when you read a business card that says w.w.w.thisismywebsiteifyoucanpossiblyreadit.com

You know someone is a designer when you google "Luke Riggall" and get 4,320 hits. Mostly regarding a desk thing...

Dale

Haha :P It like it better with the www. but thanks ;) Good job you said about the caps. My dad was going on about people that would be thick and type the address in being careful to get the caps right :P

- You know your a designer when every wall in your bedroom is covered in designs and art :D

ChicoWeb
Jun 14, 2009, 11:03 AM
- ...when you look at an advertisement and think, "hey, I saw that on istock".
- ...when you think of colors in hex
- ...when you've done 57 iterations of a logo, then they go with the first one you did
- ...when you've estimated a project wrong and end up working for $3.25 an p/hour
- ... when someone says, "This will be a real easy project", and you think to yourself, "Yah, okay sure, everyone who walks through that door has a "simple project""

Intel Inside
Jun 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
P.S. love this thread... So true :D]

Hey thanks (:

P.S love your desk... So Awesome! :D

Genghis Khan
Jun 15, 2009, 07:27 AM
...when you actually NEED an SLR.
...when you actually NEED high resolution screens.
...when you know the difference between 'black' and 'automatic' in photoshop.
...when you appreciate the two curved surfaces that make the Mac Pro case.
...when you think getting your work done at midnight before the presentation is early.
...when you're not shocked that you've done/will have to do an all-nighter.
...when the reason you're doing an all-nighter is because you're doing useless stuff like this.
...when you buy your clothes/car/furniture, the more unique and abstract from the norm it is, the better.
...when you buy black clothes, but aren't Goth/Emo.
...when you philosophise about what makes a design 'good' or 'successful'. Often.
...when you consider going minimalist, just so you can finish early.

There are millions of these :P

MacBoobsPro
Jun 15, 2009, 07:44 AM
...when you purposefully make life difficult for a client when they have supplied you with artwork in Word/Excel/Publisher.

...when you tell people your a designer and they say "wow, that must be a brilliant job" and you just look at them while thinking, 'Not really'.

dazzer21
Jun 16, 2009, 11:07 AM
...when you've named your budgie 'FiftyTenEightyZero' and your Dalmation's called 'Bitmap'

JS77
Jun 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
...when your client tells you it's only a 5 minute job... :rolleyes:

remmy
Jun 16, 2009, 03:07 PM
...when you're not shocked that you've done/will have to do an all-nighter.

I grew to hate the sound of bird song in the morning as then I would realise I had been up all night, and there were just a few hours left till I would have to hand the project in.

Rt&Dzine
Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
...when your client tells you it's only a 5 minute job... :rolleyes:

Good one! I've heard that more times than I care to remember.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jun 16, 2009, 10:44 PM
- ...when you look at an advertisement and think, "hey, I saw that on istock"

Yep.

sfh
Jun 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
....You almost break up in tears when someone says "I made this brochure in publisher, doesn't it look good"

sfh
Jun 17, 2009, 11:05 AM
...when you purposefully make life difficult for a client when they have supplied you with artwork in Word/Excel/Publisher.

a daily occurrence for me! I F@$*ng hate publisher and the notion that it is a design program. .... it's word with a few extra tools!

Designer Dale
Jun 17, 2009, 04:09 PM
When a measurement like 1/8 in. aka 0.125 in. aka 3 mm looks really big to you.

Dale

RedTomato
Jun 17, 2009, 04:33 PM

I'd keep quiet about that if I were you.

Socorso
Jun 17, 2009, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Genghis Khan;7819020]
...when you consider going minimalist, just so you can finish early.

This one hit home! : )

Socorso
Jun 17, 2009, 08:45 PM
...when you've named your budgie 'FiftyTenEightyZero' and your Dalmation's called 'Bitmap'

That one took me a while... pretty colour!

macgenius3286
Jun 18, 2009, 12:05 AM
... when you randomly point to signage and say simply "helvetica" with no explanation to any of your friends what you're talking about.

and while I'm on the topic

-you sometimes get carried away with helvetica neue and its several type styles before realizing that you're out of control.

Genghis Khan
Jun 18, 2009, 04:48 AM

haha...so true...

Quinton Heckrot
Jun 18, 2009, 07:20 AM
I just signed up to Mac Rumours finally, after frequenting it regularly just to be part of this thread!

You know you are a designer when:

.. you recognise poor, generic and over used graphics. And angered that the client paid through the nose for them.

.. you feel a strange sense of commoradory with other designers

.. you complete your Mac Rumours registration through your iPhone, 'cause we are naturally that cool.

Andrew K.
Jun 18, 2009, 12:31 PM
I just signed up to Mac Rumours finally, after frequenting it regularly just to be part of this thread!

You know you are a designer when:

.. you recognise poor, generic and over used graphics. And angered that the client paid through the nose for them.

.. you feel a strange sense of commoradory with other designers

.. you complete your Mac Rumours registration through your iPhone, 'cause we are naturally that cool.

Welcome to the forums :D good addition!

jimsowden
Jun 18, 2009, 07:35 PM

This girls last night was a total apple-z.

CK.
Jun 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
When you find yourself writing "use common sense, not comic sans" on post-it's every now and then, intending to stick them here and there throughout town.

UMHurricanes34
Jun 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
You can't walk down an isle of the grocery store without critiquing.
You get excited by well executed typography.
You have discussions with fellow designer friends about how a design could be improved at a store.
You get upset by certain color combinations.
You get pissed by non-borderless poster prints.

paolo-
Jun 20, 2009, 10:21 PM
You have discussions with fellow designer friends about how a design could be improved at a store.

Actually use the LIST function.

UMHurricanes34
Jun 20, 2009, 10:41 PM
Actually use the LIST function.

Indeed, I should add that to my list.

bomelon
Jun 21, 2009, 03:16 AM
... when you randomly point to signage and say simply "helvetica" with no explanation to any of your friends what you're talking about.

And I thought I was the only one.
:D

jake.f
Jun 21, 2009, 05:06 AM
when you made your desktop wallpaper.

Jun 21, 2009, 05:23 AM
Ok so here's one of my own
You know you're a desiner when you can point out in movies, tv shows, etc. that the computer that is being used is a mac, and you can either name the model number or the generation of the computer.

I ALWAYS do this, whenever I'm at the cinema now with my friends they all look at me before I have the chance to whisper it's a Mac and say... "IT'S A MAC!" really 'taking the mick'ishly. haha.

HBOC
Jun 21, 2009, 03:21 PM

You look at anything in Papyrus and throw up in your mouth a little bit.

this is funny. I did a project on David Carson, had to make a poster/pesentation, and i used that font for the body copy. My instructor got soo pissed, lol. I didnt hear the end of it for a week!!

wallaby
Jun 22, 2009, 05:04 PM
this is funny. I did a project on David Carson, had to make a poster/pesentation, and i used that font for the body copy. My instructor got soo pissed, lol. I didnt hear the end of it for a week!!
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What were you thinking?!

Bennieboy©
Jun 27, 2009, 09:41 AM
when random people add you to msn etc. etc. asking for something and you feeling slightly amused and annoyed at it

HBOC
Jun 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What were you thinking?!

it was my first design class, so lay off :) :D She still gives me crap about that!, lol

looman9635
Jul 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
you look at a billboard and can name the font

looman9635
Jul 4, 2009, 06:14 PM
when you want to burn everything that uses ms word art or comic sans

videotape
Jul 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
You don't hate Flash sites.

LOL, best reply.

spaceboots06
Jul 7, 2009, 06:32 PM
You think you can design something better than any other designer.

MathiasVagni
Jul 12, 2009, 08:28 AM
When you choose your newspaper according to cover and font selection instead of information quality.

JustLikeYou
Jul 12, 2009, 09:11 AM

A month back or so, my boyfriend, our two friends and I were driving down the road, and we passed a funeral home and I started laughing hysterically. I got the "what the heck?" look from everybody else in the car. When I realized I laughed out loud, and not to myself, I explained:

"The funeral home... they used Viva for their signage..."

Blank stares

"Viva... for a funeral home... you guys don't think that's funny?"

More blank stares

...They just didn't "get" it.

Andrew K.
Jul 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
it was my first design class, so lay off :) :D She still gives me crap about that!, lol

haha it's okay it'll happen :D laugh it off and use it again!!! JK

Prekesh
Jul 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
Haha i agree with most of these ! specially with the font ones, i always criticize every font i see in public :cool:

kymac
Jul 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
Haha i agree with most of these ! specially with the font ones, i always criticize every font i see in public :cool:

you know you're a designer when..

you know that you don't see fonts in public, you see typefaces.

RebootD
Jul 12, 2009, 08:24 PM
When horrible typography and illustrations on generic cereal packaging makes you so angry you go get the name brand version and compare them in front of you wife calling out all of the reasons whomever got paid for them should be drawn and quartered as she laughs at your rage over a cereal box and not taking a breath to make complete and separate phrases! *HUFF HUFF* :D

Andrew K.
Jul 12, 2009, 08:42 PM

Yup saw the new Sprite Cans this week and critiqued it

YES! I just did the other day haha

Not in design school yet but I explain to my regular friends why and they don't get it haha

RED & YELLOW are more noticeable for advertising but it doesn't mean you can use it for EVERYTHING AND EVERYWHERE!!! :mad:

Haha yeah but also if the border is UGLY

ironman159
Jul 13, 2009, 08:54 PM
...when you TOTALLY hate when a client says: "Doesn't this looks just TOO pretty?!!!" And you say: Well... he's paying me anyway. :D

klymr
Jul 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
• You end up blowing your paycheck building your library of design books. :o
Damn you Amazon Prime! Haha.

• You watch the Gary Hustwit classic Helvetica on a regular basis.

poematik14
Jul 15, 2009, 03:16 PM
you watch cartoons and get pissed off when there arent enough inbetweens to make the motions fluid.

Lymus
Jul 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
... when you laugh out loud when reading this thread. :D

MichaelBarry
Jul 21, 2009, 02:03 PM
when you visit the website regularly (and have it bookmarked obviously)

Vandelay Design Blog (http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/)

ezekielrage_99
Jul 21, 2009, 07:27 PM
... when you laugh out loud when reading this thread. :D

And when you've realised you've done more than 50% on the thread...

Rt&Dzine
Jul 22, 2009, 10:02 AM
A month back or so, my boyfriend, our two friends and I were driving down the road, and we passed a funeral home and I started laughing hysterically. I got the "what the heck?" look from everybody else in the car. When I realized I laughed out loud, and not to myself, I explained:

"The funeral home... they used Viva for their signage..."

Blank stares

"Viva... for a funeral home... you guys don't think that's funny?"

More blank stares

...They just didn't "get" it.

This is funny! You're a good story teller. I like the line "Viva... for a funeral home... you guys don't think that's funny?"

MacBoobsPro
Jul 22, 2009, 10:07 AM
This is funny! You're a good story teller. I like the line "Viva... for a funeral home... you guys don't think that's funny?"

That's because good designers have a good grasp of typography. ;)

idesign245
Aug 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
you know you're a designer when you design your own luggage tags...:rolleyes:

michelef1l
Aug 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
Every time you see a FedEx truck drive by you see the arrow before the name.
When you find that 90% of the artwork on your walls has typography on it.
You've given up trying to convince your grandparents/distant relatives that you do more than draw stuff...
You hate that when you tell people you are a graphic designer the first question they ask is "Oh so you make websites?"
You won't buy something from the grocery store if the design is bad.
You will pay more for something if the design is better, because you feel that, in some way, you are supporting that designer.
Your clothes and shoes are organized by color, style, amount of use, and season (in that order)
You have rubbed off on your (non-designer) significant other and when you go out, they point to a sign with helvetica and feel so proud that they spotted it
You are the first person your engineer friend calls when he needs to reduce a document by 30 pages without rewriting anything.

love this post :D

ironman159
Aug 30, 2009, 11:09 PM
Every time you see a FedEx truck drive by you see the arrow before the name.
When you find that 90% of the artwork on your walls has typography on it.
You've given up trying to convince your grandparents/distant relatives that you do more than draw stuff...
You hate that when you tell people you are a graphic designer the first question they ask is "Oh so you make websites?"
You will pay more for something if the design is better, because you feel that, in some way, you are supporting that designer.
Your clothes and shoes are organized by color, style, amount of use, and season (in that order)
You have rubbed off on your (non-designer) significant other and when you go out, they point to a sign with helvetica and feel so proud that they spotted it
You are the first person your engineer friend calls when he needs to reduce a document by 30 pages without rewriting anything.

love this post :D

You sure made me laugh today! The bold part is SO true!

ctj
Aug 31, 2009, 01:30 AM
• you know the correct keystrokes to make typographer’s quotes
• you notice when packaging or documents use them incorrectly
• you are exceedingly annoyed at the whole concept of “Smart Quotes” and how it allows people to do bad things to apostrophes (mainly things like ‘09 instead of ’09. Ugh, it galls me to even write it.)

And just like Quinton Heckrot, after being a long-time lurker, I thought that this is the thread I wanted to jump into as a first-time poster! Seriously, we need help. :D

jerryrock
Aug 31, 2009, 08:12 AM
...You Get Paid For Your Creativity.

Sijmen
Aug 31, 2009, 08:49 AM

I'm no designer at all but I have that. I'll pay the premium for a product that's designed (and not just decorated) with care. Also packaging is a big part of that.

shayneomack20
Aug 31, 2009, 09:26 AM
I ALWAYS do this, whenever I'm at the cinema now with my friends they all look at me before I have the chance to whisper it's a Mac and say... "IT'S A MAC!" really 'taking the mick'ishly. haha.

In "I Love You Man" there is a goof with the Mac in the background, at first facing the camera and then in its next shot is closed without anybody using it.

Similarly, in "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" in the beginning the is clearly an iPod Classic 6 gen, but later on in the movie, it is only a 5 gen.

wongulous
Sep 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
LMFAO! This! :)

seemiles
Sep 3, 2009, 01:59 PM
...there's always one more tweak.

...you know you have compiled the best design you can achieve, but know you can achieve better.

...1 pixel out = blood pressure increase :mad:

Andrew K.
Sep 3, 2009, 06:14 PM
When you watch a show you have no interest in except for the awesome graphics :D. Or you change the channel because the graphics are sooo horrible you have no idea how that person was hired to make that logo or transitions :confused:

Sijmen
Sep 3, 2009, 06:27 PM
...1 pixel out = blood pressure increase :mad:

If you have Snow Leopard, open up the Airport menu and look at the checkmark next to the active network.

opeter
Sep 4, 2009, 03:31 AM

Even if it has bad design, but tastes good, I'll buy it.

Sometimes, but mostly not.

Nope.

MattSepeta
Sep 4, 2009, 09:14 AM
anything else that doesnt personally apply to you opeter? sheesh

seemiles
Sep 5, 2009, 04:16 AM
....if you find the title graphics of the UK TV program "Grand Designs" ironic.

opeter
Sep 9, 2009, 10:50 AM
anything else that doesnt personally apply to you opeter? sheesh

:rolleyes:

electroshock
Sep 12, 2009, 11:33 AM
- When you shrug off (don't take personally) brutally tough peer critique of your work

vaderhater245
Sep 15, 2009, 06:39 PM
- When peers laugh at you for having a IPS panel monitor and they're the ones that get criticized in class for color...

designgeek
Sep 15, 2009, 08:38 PM
I love the smell of card stock through a laser printer....;)

I'm tempted to put this on my facebook...

Also, on the superiority note.
http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/up/BestRetortEver.png

jonnysods
Sep 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
You can't look at anything - any book, magazine, sign, logo - without assessing it's flaws, good parts and what you would have done with it if it was your project!

truehuman
Sep 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
Started reading this post and had to add to it!

you can see everyone else's typos and spelling errors, but never on anything you’ve worked on... till it’s gone to print.

the first thing you do in any new document or application is to change the default font preferences- anything but Times.

you understand the difference in RGB and CMYK.

you can never have enough gadgets, and it pains you to admit you could live without most of them.

there’s one job that haunts you and is always accompanied by the phrase “never again, never again".

Rt&Dzine
Sep 22, 2009, 01:09 PM
you can see everyone else's typos and spelling errors, but never on anything you’ve worked on... till it’s gone to print.

So true! That's why I require someone else to proofread everything before it goes to the printer.

Yakuza
Sep 22, 2009, 04:56 PM
...you look around you, at advertising in bus stops, mupis, outdoors, magazines, cafes (coffe shop? don't know really how you call it there lol), and you can see how it was made, what program was it used, in what way was it made. You single try to decipher step by step, how exactly that thing was made. When you are with someone and comment: " damn!! that's so wrong!! they would do that in "this way", not that way" and that someone goes..." wtf are u talking about!?"

Is when you are walking the street reading a magazine, seeing t.v...whatever, and you're not seeing it with common mortal eyes...but with designer eyes, it's like you have taken the red pill ( lolol, i know! a rough example ), you the world in a different perspective. You walk around thinking a million thoughts, when you're passing by a million ads, logos, text editing, sites...whatever.

That's when you'll know you're a designer :D

As for me, i know i'm on of them...can't get my brain to have peace, always running faster than 7500 rpm like a hard drive disk :p :D

Yakuza
Sep 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
PS: sorry if i have a bad english. lol

no better way to exercise it than in this forum

hope you can get my idea :rolleyes:

uuaschbaer
Sep 23, 2009, 04:20 AM
I truly cannot understand why people dislike Times New Roman. The 'e' might be somewhat ugly, I grant you, but it's a perfectly fine font otherwise. That many people use it or that it is a default font in Word is hardly a reason to consider it a bad font. It's so lovely Roman.

On the topic of this thread: you know you're a designer when you earn enough by designing to make a living. Which could lead to slightly snarky comments addressed to family members on the colour scheme of their Happy-Birthday e-card. Oh, and you write with a calligraphic pen also, always, all the time, consistently, ceaselessly.

mojopixel
Sep 23, 2009, 02:44 PM
..you watch films with subtitles just for the typography.

ironman159
Sep 23, 2009, 11:19 PM
I truly cannot understand why people dislike Times New Roman.

Are you serious? When I'm doing a school project, and someone sends me some text or info in Word, and I see Times New Roman as the font:

1. I lose any interest in the project just by looking at that info.
2. Before I even dare to read the thing, I change everything, and by that I mean EVERYTHING, to Helvetica or Neutraface.
3. And obviously, send the document back with the new font, even if it's the same as before, just for the sake of making that person notice it.

NXTMIKE
Sep 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
If you have Snow Leopard, open up the Airport menu and look at the checkmark next to the active network.

you just made me cry.
Why did you have to make me aware of this?

prodigee
Sep 25, 2009, 10:42 PM
In "I Love You Man" there is a goof with the Mac in the background, at first facing the camera and then in its next shot is closed without anybody using it.

Similarly, in "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" in the beginning the is clearly an iPod Classic 6 gen, but later on in the movie, it is only a 5 gen.

Seeing as I Love You Man is one of my favorite movies of all time, the VERY FIRST TIME I watched the movie I noticed that, although I would hardly consider myself a designer, I always notice continuity errors and other such errors in movies, it drives my friends and family nuts.

RainForRent
Sep 26, 2009, 02:45 PM
Are you serious? When I'm doing a school project, and someone sends me some text or info in Word, and I see Times New Roman as the font:

1. I lose any interest in the project just by looking at that info.
2. Before I even dare to read the thing, I change everything, and by that I mean EVERYTHING, to Helvetica or Neutraface.
3. And obviously, send the document back with the new font, even if it's the same as before, just for the sake of making that person notice it.

Really? Wow. Most designers recoil from Times New Roman as it is a default typeface. I feel similarly about Myriad, the default in Illustrator. But Times New Roman is a great face designed for readability in newspapers. I really can't wrap my head around someone thinking that one of the most successful typefaces of all time (right there with Helvetica and Garamond) is somehow second to Neutraface, which I would never ever ever want to read an entire page of.

Rt&Dzine
Sep 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
Really? Wow. Most designers recoil from Times New Roman as it is a default typeface. I feel similarly about Myriad, the default in Illustrator. But Times New Roman is a great face designed for readability in newspapers. I really can't wrap my head around someone thinking that one of the most successful typefaces of all time (right there with Helvetica and Garamond) is somehow second to Neutraface, which I would never ever ever want to read an entire page of.

Not only an entire page . . . but what about an entire book?

HarleyMan
Oct 25, 2009, 12:03 AM
You answer ads for a freelance Graphic Artist and they want to pay $10/hr or less for a person with talent, skill, experience, personally purchased computer equipment, personally purchased expensive software that would make their project look good, were they willing to pay a reasonable wage for the effort, and/or a reasonable price for a project.