Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
My iBook has had a broken hard drive for a while now. I have tried loading a Linux live cd on it, but it's mostly useless because of having no storage. I want to be able to use it on the go. Is it possible that i could use a linux live usb, such as damn small linux, and use the memory on said flash drive instead of a hard drive? How would I go about doing this if I could. Keep in mind that it wont bother me that I won't have much storage space. I really only want to use it for web browsing on the go.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
^^Correct. Your options (apart from replacing the HD) are:
1. Boot from livecd, use flash drive for storage (horrible)
2. Boot from FW400 drive (potentially faster than your old drive)

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
So, when I run my live cd it says most of the apps won't work because of having no place to store memory. What would fix this?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So, when I run my live cd it says most of the apps won't work because of having no place to store memory. What would fix this?

You can use USB for that, I think. If you have a linux distribution that supports a user defined location (i.e. doesn't need a casper-rw or somesuch on the same device as the boot volume), then you should be able to store changes to the live environment ("persistence") on the USB drive.

However, it's going to be an awfully clunky solution. It'll be loud -- because of the optical drive. It'll take 2-3 minutes, most likely, to boot. It'll have a USB drive sticking out the side.

Why not just spend $30 or $40 and buy a replacement HD?

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Im just killing time until I scrape up enough cash for a used macbook. I really am just looking for something semi-portable until then. I have been using an iPod touch in the meantime, but I need something to store files in. Could you please explain how I could change it to save on the usb? I am not very familiar with any Linux distribution.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I don't think the PPC macs can boot from usb.

Oh yes they can.

Well at least the NewWorld ones can -- your iBook will happily boot off of a USB storage device, provided that you've setup said device correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.