Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hi,

Sorry if this has been brought up before..

I use several PC laptops daily for home and work and these (and all other modern laptops) have a simple to use built in card reader. It's one of my favourite things about my Acer Laptop as I use it often.

Does anyone know if Apple has ever considered incorporating one into thier Mac line? They cant be expensive to include, and before people say it, I know it's not too difficult to hook up a USB card reader but for convenience a built in one is much better. Especially as SD Cards etc are becoming more and more common. When I finally make the switch this is one thing I will definately miss from the PC world.

Thoughts? (I'm not wanting to start an argument it's just my opinion..)

AnDy

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Macs will never have card readers. Steve and Jonathan don't like holes in their designs, and it would have to be cut into the unibody.

Never, then, extends to their deaths, provided their apprentices do not share their design philosophies... but that's not likely.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Macs will never have card readers. Steve and Jonathan don't like holes in their designs, and it would have to be cut into the unibody.

If that's the case what about the MacBook Pro's expansion card slot? Surely that has a hole? Correct me if i'm wrong.

AnDy

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The only way your probably get one is if someone makes a plugin for the express card slot, although I'm not sure if that is even technically feasible.

It is a minor irritant, but if included would be at the expense of a thicker, less solid design. I'm not sure if you've seen a screen shot of the internals of the MacBook/MacBook Pro, but in both cases there is almost no extra internal space.

The CD and HDD are on the left, the battery and ports go on the right. Ports are fairly limited in number, especially on the MacBook.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who uses memory cards as a form of storage, other than the ones used in cameras. Even in cameras, people seem content to just plug their camera in.

The only card reader I would find useful is a CF reader, and even then, I'm not prepared to have that big a hole in my computer just for a rare convenience.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
If that's the case what about the MacBook Pro's expansion card slot? Surely that has a hole? Correct me if i'm wrong.

AnDy

Thats a covered hole LOL. The express card is present in the Macbook Pro because many professionals require express card expansion for stuff like eSATA, video/audio output, etc. That's why that it is available on the "Pro" machine. Like the previous poster said, Jobs and Ive, for as long as they are in that position, will not allow the incorporation of a card reader in the macbook notebooks.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
Macs only come with what you need and nothing extra. There are many different memory card types out there, not one standard type. If the most common type was built into macbooks, there would still be lots of people who couldnt use it because their camera uses a different type of card. So a memory card slot is not something everyone can use, and so isnt built in.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I do use SD cards transferring pictures from cameras At least once per week.
And I do use much less my CD drive (I think I used it maybe 6-7 times since the beginning of this year...
I think they should start including in all the digital cameras wifi to transfer pictures.
I miss my SD slot much often in my iPhone, actually...

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who uses memory cards as a form of storage, other than the ones used in cameras. Even in cameras, people seem content to just plug their camera in.

The only card reader I would find useful is a CF reader, and even then, I'm not prepared to have that big a hole in my computer just for a rare convenience.

Good point, but most of the people I know will take their SD card (or other) out of the camera and place it into the card reader slot, rather than pluggling the camera in via USB. Not everyone likes to carry an extra cable round but I see your point.

And also, I did not know Jobs/Ive had stated that before so thats cleared a few things up.

AnDy

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
The only way your probably get one is if someone makes a plugin for the express card slot, although I'm not sure if that is even technically feasible.

I use this one every day:

Express Card Reader

I'm grateful that there is a versatile Express card slot that can accommodate a cheap reader for whatever card standards emerge during the life of the laptop, rather than short-sightedly locking me in to whatever is the fleeting standard of the day.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008

Express Card Reader

I'm grateful that there is a versatile Express card slot that can accommodate a cheap reader for whatever card standards emerge during the life of the laptop, rather than short-sightedly locking me in to whatever is the fleeting standard of the day.

Lol, couldn't you say that about USB as well?

A card reader is a much BETTER way than plugging the camera in with usb.
1) faster, 2) doesn't use the battery in your camera.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And also, I did not know Jobs/Ive had stated that before so thats cleared a few things up.

Really, this is a core, important thing to understand about Apple. Apple doesn't do things, like them or not, because of market surveys (of the direct variety) or because of spec matching (they do a little of this) with competitors. They don't really care how many ports Dell or Compaq has, and they don't really care how many ports you think they should have.

When they get their mind set on not doing something, they're very hard to sway. SD card slots are a good example of this. They've been around, they've gotten common, yes, some people who have them use them (particularly on netbooks, where even I use mine, but also outside of netbooks).

Apple doesn't really care about that. They have a vision for a product and that's kind of the end of the story... neither the people who argue that these slots are unnecessary, that no one uses them, and that they are aesthetically problematic, nor the people who argue that they are de rigeur, that no serious computer maker does not use them, and that Apple computers are well nigh unusable without them, are really relevant at all.

Burning Radio

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I for one am happy that Apple doesn't mess with these. It looks messy on computers and honestly, I have no problem using USB or even buying a cheap reader. Just one of those things that I don't ever "miss". I have it on my HP desktop, but I only use it about twice a month.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

Express Card Reader

Thanks for the link. Good to know the option is available. Out of interest, do you use your express card slot for anything else?

Lol, couldn't you say that about USB as well?

A card reader is a much BETTER way than plugging the camera in with usb.
1) faster, 2) doesn't use the battery in your camera.

That's probably why the poster you quoted brought a card reader, Lol.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I think they should start including in all the digital cameras wifi to transfer pictures.
Do you know how long that would take with 15 megapixel pics? :D

Keep the mac without a feaking card reader. Buy all the USB adapters you want for $10 and enjoy one less gizmo on your machine that can crap out.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK

Never, then, extends to their deaths, provided their apprentices do not share their design philosophies... but that's not likely.

Owch, you just got OWNED by Apple.

All MacBook Pro's have an SD Card Reader Now.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

Arrogance downed. LOL

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Haha love it, raised the question a few weeks back, in hope someone would agree, turns out Apple did. I sometiems love arrogant people who think they know it all!!

AnDy

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

Me thinks you may live to regret that statement... hope you have a sense of humour about it! ;)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Haha love it, raised the question a few weeks back, in hope someone would agree, turns out Apple did. I sometiems love arrogant people who think they know it all!!

AnDy

You so should have stuck it on one of the prediction thread (citing “secret” sources). Would have looked a genius.

Good job.

And yes Apple is stubborn, but they are also not stupid enough to never admit they are wrong. They held out for a while of CD Burning as well. I think it is a worthy addition, particularly as most cameras (and phones) seemed to have settled on them.

From a purely financial perspective it probably cheaper as well, which if I am being cynical, may have had a bearing in the decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.