PDA

View Full Version : iBook overheating

moonglidings
May 7, 2004, 01:45 PM
Be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem. I have a white 700Mhz iBook which I bought January 2003. By February it had gone back to Apple to have a new logic board put in, and it worked OK for about six months. It's been back again this year (Feb/March time) for a second logic board. The area to the left of the trackpad gets really hot after about an hour's use, and to keep it to a manageable temperature, I bought one of those gizmos with a fan in it that plugs into the USB slot. Without the fan, it gets ridiculous. I mentioned this to AppleCare both times when it died on me and I had to get it trolleyed back for the logic board to be sorted, but obviously nothing's been done.
Is this a common fault, or am I just unlucky?
Thing is, I can't use this as my main Mac with any confidence - this morning it decided to dump me out of Safari midway through a download, quit out of all the other open applications and go back to the blue start-up screen. It did this twice, and just as I was getting ready to boot up my back-up iMac, it settled down.
The other thing that happens(ed - I haven't risked it since the last logic board replacement) is that if you actually try and use it as a laptop (ie work on your lap rather than on a desk) and move it slightly it's likely to go to black without any warning.
Style-wise, speed-wise, everything else wise, this is a great piece of kit, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had the overheating thing happen to them. Appreciate any input...

petwilso
Jun 9, 2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Moonglidings,
Exactly the same problem occurred to me recently with 900MHz ibook. 'A known issue' said Apple.
My computer went back twice for a new logicboard, as the replacement took only two weeks to fail. Heat is in the same place. No laptop usage. Sometimes a fan starts blowing noisily so I shut down ASAP. Bit of a loss of confidence. I like the idea of a fan - I haven't seen a suitable USB fan - what did you get?

Mord
Jun 9, 2004, 01:56 PM
The Harddrive is there check that that vent is blocked by goo or dust blow through it or somthing

if it persists get a new HD maby a 7200RPM one they dont run all to hot.

If your not up to the HD swap you could get mce to do it and iff the HD overheats you can get them to give you a new one

I would back up all data now