Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Hello, I have recently ordered a version of CS4 Student Edition through a friend that is currently in school..... as I read in another thread about CS3 about there NOT being watermarks on exported art, does anyone know if there ARE NOT watermarks on the CS4 version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I open the software package.

Thank you.

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Hello, I have recently ordered a version of CS4 Student Edition through a friend that is currently in school..... as I read in another thread about CS3 about there NOT being watermarks on exported art, does anyone know if there ARE NOT watermarks on the CS4 version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I open the software package.

Thank you.

I've not used CS4 or CS3, only CS2. I cannot find anything online to suggest it watermarks anything (except if you deliberately use one of the watermarking features) - it's the full package. CS2 and earlier certainly didn't on Windows, which is all I have direct experience of. Assuming it doesn't *Say* it does, then I wouldn't expect it to. Sorry I can't be 100% certain, but it would be a very odd feature.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You also cannot upgrade the student version [to CS5] and it can only be activated on ONE machine at a time.

Marfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Yeah, when I googled it, nothing came up either... I just wanted a few other opinions.

Thank you very much for taking time out to help me.

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
I don't know about the current situation, but time was that with the FULL creative suite only there were two student versions, one that was £4xx and was non-commerical use and one that was £8xx (i.e. a lot of money but still a huge discount) and that you could use commercially I thought. Or am I just wrong?

CS3 certainly doesn't. I very much doubt CS4 will...

Remember though, the licence only allows for student use and not commercial!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I had Flash 5 Student Edition quite a while back and it booted with a splash screen that read "Flash 5 Academic, not for commercial use". I have the CS3 Student Suite now and I can't find any similar identifier on the splash screens or 'About" screens. There could be code embedded in the final files that can be read by Adobe, I don't know. I intend to upgrade to the Pro version when I start to freelance. I don't want to mess with $$$$$$$$ company lawyers.

Got to go. Someone's at the door. Sounds important...

Dale

hodgey1989

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
Remember though, the licence only allows for student use and not commercial!

With regards to using a student license for commercial work i found this on Adobe's sire which sugests that this is ok to do

Professional/commercial use
Student question
"I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?”

Answer
Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
You also cannot upgrade the student version [to CS5] and it can only be activated on ONE machine at a time.

Not true. The Academic version is just as upgradeable as the "regular" version, and you can install it on two machines, but you are not supposed use both simultaneously. Just like the regular version.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not true. The Academic version is just as upgradeable as the "regular" version, and you can install it on two machines, but you are not supposed use both simultaneously. Just like the regular version.

Well the post said the student version which is not the same as the academic version; the student version is only for students and only be used one at a time which is true. The academic version is for anyone with a student or faculty ID which includes high school to college and graduate students, professors, educators, etc. The academic version can also be used on 2 computer simultaneously.

When I bought CS4, I called Adobe to make sure, because if I couldn't run it on 2 computers at the same time, I couldn't justify paying the extra for the academic version.

brode79

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
The ANSWER.....

Found on ADOBE N.American Website!!!

HOW CAN I USE MY SOFTWARE — DURING AND AFTER SCHOOL?
Do the Student Editions have restricted functionality?
Adobe Student Editions give the end user all the features and functionality of the commercial versions. The software may be used only on a privately owned computer, and the end user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student Edition license.

Is there a time limit on using the Student Editions?
No, there is no time limit on using the Student Editions.

Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?
In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only.

How many versions of a Student Edition can I purchase?
Each eligible person may purchase only one copy per Adobe Student Edition. For example, a student may purchase only one copy of Creative Suite 4 Design Premium Student Edition. If that student buys an additional copy of Design Premium Student Edition, no serial number will be issued for it.

How many computers can I use a Student Edition on?
A Student Edition can be used on only one computer. This is ensured through a product activation procedure, which is performed online.

Can I upgrade from a Student Edition?
Yes, a Student Edition can be upgraded to a commercial version.

Can I resell a Student Edition?
The end user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student Edition license.

Can I use a Student Edition after I graduate?
Yes, after you graduate, you may continue to use your Student Edition; the license does not expire.

Can I use a Student Edition on a computer at school?
No, you may use your Student Edition only on your own private computer.

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

majestic

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
Singapore
Found on ADOBE N.American Website!!!
How many computers can I use a Student Edition on?
A Student Edition can be used on only one computer. This is ensured through a product activation procedure, which is performed online.
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

I know it's from the Adobe website, but it's simply not true. We bought the student edition of CS4 Web Premium a couple of weeks ago and my daughter is using it on two of our Macs without any issues (not simultaneously though). We activated both installations online with the same serial number.

We're in Asia though - perhaps that restriction doesn't apply outside of North America...? :confused:

BTW, it really is a fantastic deal!!! Highly recommended if you qualify.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Student editions can be installed with the SAME serial on TWO computers. I have CS, CS2, and CS3 all student editions and installed them on my desktop and my laptop every time I got the new Creative Suite.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
Student editions can be installed with the SAME serial on TWO computers. I have CS, CS2, and CS3 all student editions and installed them on my desktop and my laptop every time I got the new Creative Suite.

Bingo. I have the CS4 Design Premium student license installed on my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro.

charray

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I don't know whether they have changed the terms. The agreement of CS on my hand, states that I can install on one desktop and one laptop.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I've never witnessed any Adobe product forcefully placing any sort of watermarking on exported work.

wHo_tHe

macrumors regular
Look before you leap

Amazing amount of incorrect information in this thread posing as fact.

Lesson to everyone:

Don't post if you don't know the answer.

If you THINK you know the answer, verify it first, then post the answer, along with the source of your information, like some of the more thoughtful posters in this thread have done.

You give yourself, MacRumors, and the Internet itself a bad name by posting erroneous information. You can do better.

chappell

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Defining Commercial Use

I am interested in purchasing the student version of the Adobe CS4, however I have a question about "commercial use." I intend to use the software for educational purposes, however I wondered how design competitions fit into this. Is any monetary compensation considered commercial use? How do competitions targeted to students/recent graduates fit in (I will graduate this spring). I would like to do this as ethically as possible, however in that I am to graduate soon, and the job market for architects is nonexistent, I would like to do this as affordably as possible.

ahenson26

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
As someone posted above, if you are in North America you CAN use CS4 for commercial purposes. Buy the Student Edition if you are eligible and you can continue to use it according to the Adobe website, regardless of commercial gain.

I am interested in purchasing the student version of the Adobe CS4, however I have a question about "commercial use." I intend to use the software for educational purposes, however I wondered how design competitions fit into this. Is any monetary compensation considered commercial use? How do competitions targeted to students/recent graduates fit in (I will graduate this spring). I would like to do this as ethically as possible, however in that I am to graduate soon, and the job market for architects is nonexistent, I would like to do this as affordably as possible.

bigglefuzz

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I saw a version of the student one in the UK here and it actually stated on a disclaimer that you couldn't use it for commercial purposes.

So basically if you do freelance work with a student copy outside of North America, in Adobe's eyes you are just the same as a pirate.

I think that is a bit backwards. If I lived in North America though I would definitely take advantage of that offer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.