PDA

View Full Version : Backlight problems in iBook

latergator116
May 7, 2004, 02:30 PM
Hi, after having my backlight dimmed all the way down for about 7 hours (it is runnin folding@home while I am sleeping), the left half of the screen is a lot darker than the right. After about five minutes though, it seems to go back to normal. Should I be worried about this? Could this be the first sign of backlight failure? Thanks!

BTW, I have an iBook 700mhz 16mb vram.

baby duck monge
May 7, 2004, 02:45 PM
i would be worried just because i don't think it's supposed to act like that. i don't know what the signs of failure would be, though.

on a related note, have you considered setting the screen to turn off on its own after a while (separate timer for sleep and screen). i know that the screen does not actually turn all the way off when you have it turned down all the way, so that might help your cause a little.

latergator116
May 7, 2004, 03:22 PM
i would be worried just because i don't think it's supposed to act like that. i don't know what the signs of failure would be, though.

on a related note, have you considered setting the screen to turn off on its own after a while (separate timer for sleep and screen). i know that the screen does not actually turn all the way off when you have it turned down all the way, so that might help your cause a little.

Actually, I don't turn it all the way down but one noch from the bottom, so the backlight is just barely on. Maybe I will try to call apple later. I don't know if apple will accept my call though because my 90 days of phone support is over. :(

Coolvirus007
May 9, 2004, 11:16 AM
I don't know about whether if it is a failure sign but I know that there is mercury in it so - if there's anything wrong with it, you'd better ask them.

latergator116
May 9, 2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know about whether if it is a failure sign but I know that there is mercury in it so - if there's anything wrong with it, you'd better ask them.

I think I will be calling them tonight or tomorow. Just yesterday, I closed the lid and when I opened it, the whole screen was dark and I had to restart the computer.