PDA

View Full Version : OS X on iMac Rev C?

Lord Blackadder
May 7, 2004, 03:51 PM
My Mac household (as you can see below) is, um, vintage. I upgraded the RAM in my Rev C. iMac (266mhz - Lime, if you must know) to 288MB a while back, but other than that it's stock. I'm not going to put any more hardware upgrades into it, but was thinking about getting OS X. Good/Bad idea?

strider42
May 7, 2004, 04:31 PM
My Mac household (as you can see below) is, um, vintage. I upgraded the RAM in my Rev C. iMac (266mhz - Lime, if you must know) to 288MB a while back, but other than that it's stock. I'm not going to put any more hardware upgrades into it, but was thinking about getting OS X. Good/Bad idea?

it'll work, but since the graphics card is not fully supported on the tray loading imacs, its going to be kind of pokey. Unless there is software you actually want to use that is OS X only, i wouldn't bother myself. if you are doing just internet, word processing and email mostly, you'll probably be better with OS9.

vouder17
May 7, 2004, 04:53 PM
I have a iMac Rev.B. Well I have OS X and it runs..... but you can't do all the fancy stuff like photoshop etc. but for mail, word, internet it is kewl.

Peace
Votez

Lord Blackadder
May 7, 2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the tips. The main reason I was going to use it was that my bank requires that I use Netscape 7 or Safari in order to do stuff online. But I'm inclined to think that the other apps I run - especially the games (Diablo II, Myth II, UT) would have issues. How much HD does X eat up? My 6Gig drive is half full of MP3 files, but perhaps I could just boot into 9 when I wanted to do most things and boot into X when I need the newer browser.

7on
May 7, 2004, 08:20 PM
Dunno if you can keep 9 and have X as well. hmmmmm... If you can get an external drive and install OSX on that, that could work too. :)

spaceballl
May 7, 2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. The main reason I was going to use it was that my bank requires that I use Netscape 7 or Safari in order to do stuff online. But I'm inclined to think that the other apps I run - especially the games (Diablo II, Myth II, UT) would have issues. How much HD does X eat up? My 6Gig drive is half full of MP3 files, but perhaps I could just boot into 9 when I wanted to do most things and boot into X when I need the newer browser.
hmmmm now there IS an OS9 version of a mozilla based browser. That might solve your problem? I totally forget what it's called so you'd have to search a bit... It's freeware so you could save some $.
-Kevin

drviets@yahoo.c
May 7, 2004, 09:07 PM
Lord Blackadder,,,,, I typed out this really neat reply,,, and then lost it in sending....darn.
I think you can do well to upgrade to osx...I think you do need a larger hard drive though (I think you said you had 6GB. For games, etc, you can still run in os9/classic mode.
I have been running osx on an original iMac since the very beginning of osx and have been very happy with it. It is a bit slow here and there, but it does not bother me because I like osx so much. I installed a 40GB HD and partitioned it . The osx system stuff is on one partition and all my other personal programs, music, etc. are on the other partition. If you are not going to be getting a new computer soon, I think it may be worth it for you. Safari is great by the way. For info purposes: my system folder is 900 MB, the general system library is 500MB, and my user folder in osx is 360MB. (remember though, i have all my other stuff on the other partition.) BTW...one reason I liked leaving os9 behind is my system doesn't crash anymore!
Hope this helps. dave

KC9AIC
May 7, 2004, 09:48 PM
You can get OS X running on very little disk space. I've got 10.2 and a number of apps running off of an 1.6 GB hard drive, with over 300MB empty. You just have to slash off a lot in the installation. The computer is a 300MHz B&W G3, with only 128 MB of RAM. Still, it runs passably. My bus is 100MHz, compared to your 66. I've got a better video card than you, though I also cannot use Quartz Extreme. One equalizer is that you have a passable amount of RAM. I think it would work for you.

Just so y'all know, Mozilla 1.2.1 is OS 9 compatible.

Lord Blackadder
May 7, 2004, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know that there was an OS 9 compatible version of Mozilla.... I'll have to try it. It seems that based on what you guys are saying the limiting factor is my hard drive rather than anything else. Also, are those of you that have X on older G3s running panther, or an older version of X?