PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy an Aluminum MB Now Or Wait?

Virtualball
Jun 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
I figure they want to get rid of stock through this student promotion so they probably won't update the aluminum ones until ~September, right? Should I buy one now or wait until August? My 1.83 Ghz WhiteBook is getting older haha. Thanks!!

jmann
Jun 1, 2009, 11:11 AM
buy now. You'll love the unibodies. Don't wait for miniscule updates.

apeacock
Jun 1, 2009, 11:13 AM
I would wait until WWDC - it's only a few days away, just in case updates are done then.

Tallest Skil
Jun 1, 2009, 11:14 AM
I would wait until WWDC - it's only a few days away, just in case updates are done then.

Tell me what they would change.

apeacock
Jun 1, 2009, 11:19 AM

If anything, just a spec bump. My point is that WWDC is in a whole 7 days - unless the OP needs his macbook that urgently, why risk not getting the higher specs?

Skydiver32
Jun 1, 2009, 11:21 AM
Why would you not wait? It's a week!
Sure, IF there is an update it won't be earth shattering, but its going to be a better computer than it is today.

It's like going to the store to buy milk. You have 2 bottles side by side, one bottle expires in 2 days and the other in 1 week. If you buy today they will both be good to use today and tomorrow, but the fresher one will last you longer, and probably taste a little better.
However, if you need milk now and they only have the one that expires in 2 days...

Tallest Skil
Jun 1, 2009, 11:22 AM
If anything, just a spec bump. My point is that WWDC is in a whole 7 days - unless the OP needs his macbook that urgently, why risk not getting the higher specs?

Because WWDC is a developer conference, has nothing to do with laptops, and there are no chips to which they can bump.

The next update will be Clarksfield (if they can beat the heat) or Arrandale.

apeacock
Jun 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
Because WWDC is a developer conference, has nothing to do with laptops, and there are no chips to which they can bump.

On the other hand, the macbooks are approaching average time for a cycle update, and there are chips available - it could be as small as 2.13/2.53 GHz (Intel chips P7450 and P8700, rather than the current P7350 and P7600). No one is claiming there are going to be any major changes, but why risk it over 7 days?

Skydiver32
Jun 1, 2009, 11:29 AM

Did you expect them to update the White book?
Did you expect to be done when it was done?

This is all a big guess game, and no matter how many posts a person has in this forum or how certain they sound it still a guess game.

If anybody claims absolutes here, they are full of p**p. The only thing we have to go by is to look at what was done in the past to make a more educated GUESS.

P.s Tallest skil, this was not directed specifically at you

zw-gator
Jun 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Just wait, it's one week

Petoz
Jun 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
Wait as long as you want to wait. If you can wait until the next update (who knows when it will be, but there will be one this year) then why not wait. Your new macbook will be slightly better that it is now. If you have a 1.83 whitebook, I presume it is still perfectly ok? On the other hand, if you are fed up with it, or just really want to change, wait until WWDC then buy.

It totally depends on how long you are willing to wait. Either way, enjoy when you get it.

NinjaHERO
Jun 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
Since they just gave the plastic white Macbook better specs than the Aluminum one, which costs $300 more than the white one, I would assume an update is right around the corner.

But like everyone else here, I am just guessing. I just happen to think its a very good guess. Almost hypothesis like.:D

Insulin Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 12:54 PM
This is all a big guess game, and no matter how many posts a person has in this forum or how certain they sound it still a guess game.

Whoever claimed the opposite.

I concur with the first poster - If the current specs do you, get it now and enjoy. Who cares if or if not they'll get a spec bump if the current specs suit your needs already?

Eric S.
Jun 1, 2009, 01:56 PM
As always, the rule of thumb is simple: wait until you can stand it no longer, then buy. ;)

Insulin Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 02:27 PM
As always, the rule of thumb is simple: wait until you can stand it no longer, then buy. ;)

Last time I did that I bought my vaio a week before the model got a complete case revision that I didn't know about, and I wasn't able to return it for a new model. I was fuming :p But I love it anyway.
Nowadays I don't fret anymore, I just enjoy what I have.

UrFatMom
Jun 1, 2009, 03:08 PM
Wait. There will be a better version in the future. (I'm waiting since 1991)

iomatic
Jun 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out how long between Intel processor releases and Apple's upgrades. At one point we knew to some extent (roughly) with PPC processors, but now we know with some certainty (yes?) how Intel releases processors and time between the an upgrade to the line is. The question is how long, and when can we expect the next cycle of upgrades?

Clearly, I'm shopping, but I'm in no hurry. If I buy now, and we're talking a few months, I'm OK with that. But if we hold out a few weeks, I wouldn't mind a bump.

Thanks.

Portal83
Jun 1, 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm in the same boat and really confused...

Normally, I'd figure no updates (even just small speed bumps) until after the back-to-school promo is over. But after the update to the white Macbook, I'm really not sure and can't imagine why they'd leave the cheaper computer with better specs than the aluminum for long.

I need my new Macbook for the start of September and if they don't give speed bumps to the aluminum soon, I'll just get the white Macbook instead. I'm assuming that they won't update the aluminums until after the promo if they don't do it soon (WWDC).

In the speed bump rumour originating from 9to5mac, they sounded like they're really confident in their source, but I know I've read rumours that fell flat on their face in the past. How reliable has 9to5mac been in the past?

KeeeeenW
Jun 1, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well man, let me tell you...

last year Augest, I guess there will be no big update on Macbook, so I bought it...

I am planning to buy 466, and I'm also really dilemma right now,I hope I can wait until WWDC over.(Although I think there is no way that Macbook will be updated a higher graphic card again which is what I want)

Burning Radio
Jun 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
I'm waiting until the 8th. If nothing before then or on the 8th, I'm buying my 2.4. :cool:

iMacmatician
Jun 1, 2009, 07:19 PM
Tell me what they would change.CPU speed bump and updated GPUs. Plus likely small RAM/HDD adjustments.

The next update will be Clarksfield (if they can beat the heat) or Arrandale.There is no heat problem with Clarksfield, the two lower models are 35 W and the highest-end model is 35 W or may be 45 W. I'm fairly sure that 10 W needs to be subtracted from those values to give Penryn TDP equivalents.

dvrmstrng
Jun 2, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm in the same exact boat..I think my parents just snagged me a 2.4 for college grad...should I bring it up and ask them to wait or just go for it?

MrM
Jun 2, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm in the same exact boat..I think my parents just snagged me a 2.4 for college grad...should I bring it up and ask them to wait or just go for it?

It's a gift. I wouldn't say anything if they already bought it.

I wish I could get a $1600 gift.. haha

drew0020
Jun 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
You should wait because then you can tell us all how much snappier the 2.53ghz is compared to the 2.4ghz :)

dvrmstrng
Jun 2, 2009, 02:35 PM
You should wait because then you can tell us all how much snappier the 2.53ghz is compared to the 2.4ghz :)

I'm guessing that's sarcasm and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth..but if the money is better spent in a week I'd let them know...let me know what you guys think

firegun9
Jun 3, 2009, 08:09 PM
Let me tell you. You should wait.

If there's any update, it should come out after BS promotion because Apple doesn't want people hold a whole year and shop only in the summer.

Then why the white macbook gets an update?
There is only one reason: to make 2.0g aluminum macbook looks bad. So people would lean to the white mb. Why apple do this? My guess is aluminum mb will have a huge update, something big like the rumor of it merging into mb pro lines. So after the update, there is still space for people buying white mb to upgrade. People buying aluminum mb now won't be too happy, but apple already tried to reduce the number of people by upgrading the white mb. Besides, they got it for a cheaper price in BS promotion.

Which means the waiting would last at least to September.:(

Burning Radio
Jun 3, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm gonna be super mad if I wait until the 8th and there's no update. I'm buying even if there isn't one. (and then they'll probably release it next week. lol)

I Want my Macbook. I'm Jonesin for mine BAD!

Disavowed
Jun 3, 2009, 10:34 PM
Because WWDC is a developer conference, has nothing to do with laptops

True. That said, they usually announce spec upgrades or price reductions just before or after WWDC. I hardly see the harm in waiting a couple weeks. Of course, not knowing this poster's degree of imperativeness, we are all speculating.

"I" am waiting till late june/early july before I buy.

ordo1980
Jun 3, 2009, 11:22 PM
True. That said, they usually announce spec upgrades or price reductions just before or after WWDC. I hardly see the harm in waiting a couple weeks. Of course, not knowing this poster's degree of imperativeness, we are all speculating.

"I" am waiting till late june/early july before I buy.

Is this really accurate? I'm off to law school this August, and I'm anxiously awaiting an update, I just might pull the trigger. :D My 5yr old HP is still kicking, but my power port is definitely failing. :mad: So I'm hoping for a refresh soon.

The base alumMB today is actually good enough for me. I don't play games or anything, I just want a reliable machine for the next 3 years. I suspect all I'll really be doing with it is taking it to class, typing notes, typing papers, and that's about it. And of course web surfing, email, etc., etc. I just am holding out for a refresh, as I feel like at the price point, the specs I get really should be a bit better. ;)

I'm sort of hoping for 2.2ghz, 250g hdd, and the RAM I could care less about. If it's just 2, I'll get 4 from crucial for 60, which is nothing, so whatever. I'd just like to see a bit of a processor bump and hdd size bump. I know those improvements won't be a significant bump, but still, for the price, I feel like I'd like a bump, even if only minor. Plus the psychology thing... 2ghz feels slow at this point in time, and 160gigs feels small nowadays. :cool: I'm hoping a refresh comes soon, or at least before August. I'd like to play around with it a bit before school so I get used to the new OS environment and everything. I've never owned a mac before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. :confused: And then I'd have to figure out which office program to get, if there is anything like onenote for mac, etc., etc.

If not, my laptop is still kicking along, so I guess I'd have to make due until a refresh comes. But by looking at the days since last refresh vs. the average, I would think something would be done sometime soon! I hope!! :D

opinioncircle
Jun 4, 2009, 04:20 AM
Is this really accurate? I'm off to law school this August, and I'm anxiously awaiting an update, I just might pull the trigger. :D My 5yr old HP is still kicking, but my power port is definitely failing. :mad: So I'm hoping for a refresh soon.

The base alumMB today is actually good enough for me. I don't play games or anything, I just want a reliable machine for the next 3 years. I suspect all I'll really be doing with it is taking it to class, typing notes, typing papers, and that's about it. And of course web surfing, email, etc., etc. I just am holding out for a refresh, as I feel like at the price point, the specs I get really should be a bit better. ;)

I'm sort of hoping for 2.2ghz, 250g hdd, and the RAM I could care less about. If it's just 2, I'll get 4 from crucial for 60, which is nothing, so whatever. I'd just like to see a bit of a processor bump and hdd size bump. I know those improvements won't be a significant bump, but still, for the price, I feel like I'd like a bump, even if only minor. Plus the psychology thing... 2ghz feels slow at this point in time, and 160gigs feels small nowadays. :cool: I'm hoping a refresh comes soon, or at least before August. I'd like to play around with it a bit before school so I get used to the new OS environment and everything. I've never owned a mac before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. :confused: And then I'd have to figure out which office program to get, if there is anything like onenote for mac, etc., etc.

If not, my laptop is still kicking along, so I guess I'd have to make due until a refresh comes. But by looking at the days since last refresh vs. the average, I would think something would be done sometime soon! I hope!! :D

If you can afford it, I'd go with the 2.4Ghz version. Especially given the student discount..

I know I'll go with the 2.4Ghz.

clyde2801
Jun 4, 2009, 06:15 AM

Hey, how yunz doin'? (Sorry, I went to undergrad up in your part of the country, and I kind of miss hearing that..) :o

Assuming your HP continues to desperately hold onto life, I'd wait til no later than July to pull the trigger. You'd get to wait to see if there's any sort of hardware of software updates at WWDC (as speculative and irrational as that may be) and still have a month to familiarize yourself with the OS and software before you start law school. You will have enough to do as a 1L without having to worry about how to do x with your new computer.

Having said that, you may find a decent deal on a macbook on craigslist in the next couple of weeks as people try to sell their current systems in anticipation of an update or buy a newer spec'ed computer. Anything in the current mac line will suit your stated purposes for the next three (or four) years.

Good luck. You do know to have everything read and ready to discuss on the first day of classes, right?

ordo1980
Jun 4, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hey, how yunz doin'? (Sorry, I went to undergrad up in your part of the country, and I kind of miss hearing that..) :o

Assuming your HP continues to desperately hold onto life, I'd wait til no later than July to pull the trigger. You'd get to wait to see if there's any sort of hardware of software updates at WWDC (as speculative and irrational as that may be) and still have a month to familiarize yourself with the OS and software before you start law school. You will have enough to do as a 1L without having to worry about how to do x with your new computer.

Having said that, you may find a decent deal on a macbook on craigslist in the next couple of weeks as people try to sell their current systems in anticipation of an update or buy a newer spec'ed computer. Anything in the current mac line will suit your stated purposes for the next three (or four) years.

Good luck. You do know to have everything read and ready to discuss on the first day of classes, right?

Haha, not sure why you'd miss hearing that, but then, I guess because ur not from the area, it gets annoying after dozens of years. lol. And I dont have a problem waiting, it's well past time for apple to do an update, I'm sure one isn't far off. Either way I'm going to wait. Hopefully not until after law school starts, but if so, then so be it. And yes, I'm waiting for my summer reading assignment, but it won't come until July, so I'm just relaxing for now.

And I must disagree with you, opinioncircle, no way is the 2.4 worth it to me. The 2.0 processor is plenty powerful for my purposes, and I know keyboards like the back of my hand. I probably could type blindfolded and maintain at least 95% accuracy... so a backlit keyboard is pointless for me. Hopefully the 2.0 will get a spec increase to 2.2/250gig, then there's no way id get the higher model no matter what they did to that one. ;)

Skydiver32
Jun 4, 2009, 10:30 AM
There better be an upgrade at WWDC **praying**
I booked one of those personal shopping appt for 8am on Jun 9th! (2 hrs before the store even opens - Which btw is way cool:cool:)

mathieuheartmac
Jun 4, 2009, 02:12 PM
There better be an upgrade at WWDC **praying**
I booked one of those personal shopping appt for 8am on Jun 9th! (2 hrs before the store even opens - Which btw is way cool:cool:)

If there was an update, would any even be available on the 9th? In October I remember it took a couple days for the new aluminums to hit the stores after they were announced and up on apple.com.

Skydiver32
Jun 4, 2009, 05:42 PM
If there was an update, would any even be available on the 9th? In October I remember it took a couple days for the new aluminums to hit the stores after they were announced and up on apple.com.

I just happened to walk in a Chicago Apple store the day of the "silent" upgrade and they already had it in stock.
So I asked if an upgrade is to be anounced on the 8th when would they likely receive it? --- Same day or next day.

I'm calling them the night before to confirm, if not I may use the time (with no crowds - since it's actually before the store opens) to ask questions and hopefully get a quick little tutorial on PC ->Mac.

My computer died about a month ago and I've been using a borrowed computer, but more importantly, this whole WWDC and "possible update" has consumed me. I'm wasting sooo much time reading every possible prediction and every thing mac:mad: It's killing me. :eek:

tayshon
Jun 4, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just wait, it's one week

I agree if it a change go for the better one, if not then go buy the 2.4 UMB

Jigsawjammer
Jun 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
... this whole WWDC and "possible update" has consumed me. I'm wasting sooo much time reading every possible prediction and every thing mac:mad: It's killing me. :eek:

I know the feeling!

zsnow
Jun 4, 2009, 08:26 PM
I think you should really ask yourself a question. what are you expecting for the update.
1:faster cpu? so is there any faster cpu available now? 2G->2.13G will make much difference? 2 core->4 core? not likely.
2:Larger HD? i think people don't care the size anymore. SSD is the future. Just buy one and do yourself. don't expect apple will replace a 128G ssd free. even free, it will be 100MB/s not 200MB/s
3:Larger memory? it's just $60 investment for 4G. Do you really need more than that on a laptop?
4:Better screen? i thought we already got it on the latest after April
5:Better case design? what's wrong with the unibody right now?
6:better graphics? unless nvidia release another entry level gpu chip.
7:Backlit keyboard on 2.0 umb? this will be something... but i don't really need look at the keyboard at all.
8:$200-$300 price down: that is most likely and worth to wait for some people.

Jigsawjammer
Jun 4, 2009, 08:48 PM
It's worth waiting a week to get more value and I don't get why people are mad about others waiting. I've saved for 5 months to buy this so do I want to drop my money on something that came out 10/2008 or wait a week and get the one that came out 6/2009. Resale will be better and performance will at least slightly go up considering the new whitebook is outperforming the unibodies on the latest benchmarks.

PolySciSurfer
Jun 4, 2009, 08:51 PM
It's worth waiting a week to get more value and I don't get why people are mad about others waiting. I've saved for 5 months to buy this so do I want to drop my money on something that came out 10/2008 or wait a week and get the one that came out 6/2009. Resale will be better and performance will at least slightly go up considering the new whitebook is outperforming the unibodies on the latest benchmarks.

I would tell everyone not to hold their breath. This event is going to be all about the iPhone. :cool:

Jigsawjammer
Jun 4, 2009, 09:39 PM
I would tell everyone not to hold their breath. This event is going to be all about the iPhone. :cool:

I know its really going to be about the iPhone and that's great considering mine is on its last legs but you can't deny that there is something going on at Apple that has something significant going to happen. Front page of MR has Jobs returning in June to with a special media event, rumors of golden master now of SL, 2.0 unibody is slower than the whitebook and rumors of a rebranding.

I agree though we might have to wait a bit after WWDC to see some of this.

PolySciSurfer
Jun 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
I know its really going to be about the iPhone and that's great considering mine is on its last legs but you can't deny that there is something going on at Apple that has something significant going to happen. Front page of MR has Jobs returning in June to with a special media event, rumors of golden master now of SL, 2.0 unibody is slower than the whitebook and rumors of a rebranding.

I agree though we might have to wait a bit after WWDC to see some of this.

My hopeful guess is there will be a macbook spec refresh (new processors etc.) sometime before September. However, on the other hand, it is very rare that Apple would refresh the macbooks during the back to school promotion. In that case, we're looking at right after September 8 possibly even October. That is my most realistic prediction.

Jigsawjammer
Jun 4, 2009, 10:28 PM
My hopeful guess is there will be a macbook spec refresh (new processors etc.) sometime before September. However, on the other hand, it is very rare that Apple would refresh the macbooks during the back to school promotion. In that case, we're looking at right after September possibly even October. That is my most realistic prediction.

I kind of agree with you but I think I'm in denial because I can go buy one tomorrow:(

kim6ball
Jun 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'll be pissed if they do a major upgrade because I just bought my 2.0 a week ago not knowing of WWDC. I waited all last summer because of the suspected revamp of the model and I couldn't wait any longer so I just bought it.

PolySciSurfer
Jun 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
I kind of agree with you but I think I'm in denial because I can go buy one tomorrow:(

I'm probably going to buy this summer. I want that free iPod. To me the benefit of a free iPod outweighs getting a spec bump. I don't use any programs that are really intensive, so I just plain don't see how a small spec bump is going to benefit me. Can someone convince me otherwise?

Disavowed
Jun 4, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm probably going to buy this summer. I want that free iPod. To me the benefit of a free iPod outweighs getting a spec bump. I don't use any programs that are really intensive, so I just plain don't see how a small spec bump is going to benefit me. Can someone convince me otherwise?

What about 3.0 iPod Touch? You wait a few weeks after WWDC annd kill two birds with one stone.

ordo1980
Jun 4, 2009, 11:06 PM

I think I know how you feel bud. I could get a macbook tomorrow. BUT, my current laptop still is functional and I could make due with it for my first month of law school. Thus, I can wait for the refresh whenever it comes out. I have an ipod classic and a shuffle, so I could care less about the ipod promotion. It's painful to wait, especially since whatever refresh is coming will be minor most likely ... but patience is a virtue, and apple is making me VERY virtuous! haha. So I don't mind the wait. If you need to buy now, and if you don't mind getting something that probably will be refreshed in September or October at the latest, and you really want an iPod, then definitely buy now. I just don't mind the wait since my laptop still works, I have iPods, and I have the patience to wait it out. It really comes down to what ur needs are, or even desires. Do what you want and don't live your life to make other people or fellow posters more comfortable. On the latest news...

Since it seems that Snow Leopard is farther along than people had thought, I'm even more inclined to wait. If that baby releases in September then that's when I'll buy. I suspect by then there will have definitely been a spec refresh. My NEEDS really don't go beyond the current 2.0 alubook, but I really don't mind waiting, especially if Snow Leopard will launch in September. If you think about it... then I'm saving $130 right there on the OS, since I know I'd want to buy it and upgrade from Leopard. I just want to see modest spec increases ... say 2.2ghz, 250gb, whatever RAM (I'll just buy 4 if I only get 2), and snow leopard, and I suspect that would be a reasonable expectation come September or soon thereafter. Plus, keep in mind that these alubooks have been out since last October, and not one refresh, so I find it hard to believe that Apple will go an entire year without doing a refresh. It's all about bucks and getting the bang for your buck. Buying now to me would be nothing more than satisfying my craving for a sweet macbook, and all the macbooks out now are sweet, so buying now could never be a mistake. It's just that I don't need to buy now, nothing more or less. So I can afford to wait.

And now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking that it is VERY odd that there have been no refreshes since launch last October... and remember this isn't just the alubooks, but the pros and the air as well. To me that signifies that the next refresh could potentially be substantial ... perhaps a price drop (doubt it), or a rebranding of some sort, or a substantive spec increase, or something substantive on that order, who knows. But look at the history ... the longest in recent history that apple has gone without refreshes was 10 months ... from 7/05 to 5/06 ... and what happened in 5/06 ... if you remember it was the launch of the macbook, the switch from g4 to intel core duo. Now, I'm not suggesting that the upcoming refresh would be nearly this dramatic, but it does at least give me some pause to consider what the next refresh may be. This will be now 8 months since last refresh, so we are well past the typical cycle. So it's clear that a refresh is imminent. And the longer we go without refreshes, the more suspicious I become in regard to the magnitude of the next refresh.

Right now I'm thinking a refresh will be sooner rather than later, only because I find it very odd that apple would allow a whitebook to sell at its current pricepoint when its performance is comparable to the base alubook. I just can't imagine Apple would allow that to go on for very long, especially not until way off in September. But I don't pretend to know the inner workings of Apple corporate. But it doesn't seem like a very intelligent business decision to allow it to go on, one would think the whitebook may potentially canabalize sales of its base macbook if the performance is that close. In any case, I will be waiting ... probably for Snow Leopard if it's supposed to launch earlier than what people thought. I suspect we will know the launch date by WWDC end. Talking about this sure is fun though!!! :p

kukheart
Jun 4, 2009, 11:07 PM
ill be buying one shortly, my issue is buy it in a week or two if they redo the specs or wait till snow leopard comes out, i really want to wait with snow leopard already installed on it, not to mention the $129 that i will probably have to pay for it anyway, maybe snow will come out in sept. i can hold off until then i think.

PolySciSurfer
Jun 5, 2009, 12:08 AM
I think I know how you feel bud. I could get a macbook tomorrow. BUT, my current laptop still is functional and I could make due with it for my first month of law school. Thus, I can wait for the refresh whenever it comes out. I have an ipod classic and a shuffle, so I could care less about the ipod promotion. It's painful to wait, especially since whatever refresh is coming will be minor most likely ... but patience is a virtue, and apple is making me VERY virtuous! haha. So I don't mind the wait. If you need to buy now, and if you don't mind getting something that probably will be refreshed in September or October at the latest, and you really want an iPod, then definitely buy now. I just don't mind the wait since my laptop still works, I have iPods, and I have the patience to wait it out. It really comes down to what ur needs are, or even desires. Do what you want and don't live your life to make other people or fellow posters more comfortable. On the latest news...

Since it seems that Snow Leopard is farther along than people had thought, I'm even more inclined to wait. If that baby releases in September then that's when I'll buy. I suspect by then there will have definitely been a spec refresh. My NEEDS really don't go beyond the current 2.0 alubook, but I really don't mind waiting, especially if Snow Leopard will launch in September. If you think about it... then I'm saving $130 right there on the OS, since I know I'd want to buy it and upgrade from Leopard. I just want to see modest spec increases ... say 2.2ghz, 250gb, whatever RAM (I'll just buy 4 if I only get 2), and snow leopard, and I suspect that would be a reasonable expectation come September or soon thereafter. Plus, keep in mind that these alubooks have been out since last October, and not one refresh, so I find it hard to believe that Apple will go an entire year without doing a refresh. It's all about bucks and getting the bang for your buck. Buying now to me would be nothing more than satisfying my craving for a sweet macbook, and all the macbooks out now are sweet, so buying now could never be a mistake. It's just that I don't need to buy now, nothing more or less. So I can afford to wait.

And now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking that it is VERY odd that there have been no refreshes since launch last October... and remember this isn't just the alubooks, but the pros and the air as well. To me that signifies that the next refresh could potentially be substantial ... perhaps a price drop (doubt it), or a rebranding of some sort, or a substantive spec increase, or something substantive on that order, who knows. But look at the history ... the longest in recent history that apple has gone without refreshes was 10 months ... from 7/05 to 5/06 ... and what happened in 5/06 ... if you remember it was the launch of the macbook, the switch from g4 to intel core duo. Now, I'm not suggesting that the upcoming refresh would be nearly this dramatic, but it does at least give me some pause to consider what the next refresh may be. This will be now 8 months since last refresh, so we are well past the typical cycle. So it's clear that a refresh is imminent. And the longer we go without refreshes, the more suspicious I become in regard to the magnitude of the next refresh.

Right now I'm thinking a refresh will be sooner rather than later, only because I find it very odd that apple would allow a whitebook to sell at its current pricepoint when its performance is comparable to the base alubook. I just can't imagine Apple would allow that to go on for very long, especially not until way off in September. But I don't pretend to know the inner workings of Apple corporate. But it doesn't seem like a very intelligent business decision to allow it to go on, one would think the whitebook may potentially canabalize sales of its base macbook if the performance is that close. In any case, I will be waiting ... probably for Snow Leopard if it's supposed to launch earlier than what people thought. I suspect we will know the launch date by WWDC end. Talking about this sure is fun though!!! :p

Damn, you just had to mention the Snow Leopard update didn't you? :p

Now I'm thinking maybe I should wait for that update. The thing is right now, I don't have a computer. I'm borrowing a family members, and I have no iPod. Though I don't really "need" a computer right now, because I don't start school again until January. So technically I don't "need" a computer for 8 more months including this month of June. Wow, a lot could happen to the macbook's if I waited 8 months eh?

Ahhh, what to do, what to do. The thing is, if I wait for Snow Leopard to come out, I won't get the free iPod. So it's like I will either get a macbook now and get the free iPod but soon to be outdated specs on the macbook, as opposed to getting SL free and a newer macbook sometime late September or October. So really I see it as a deciding factor between two packages. What would you guys do? Free iPod and current macbook, or free SL and newer macbook?

Is there another option I'm missing? :confused:

Burning Radio
Jun 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
I've been debating this A LOT recently. So I think I've finally decided to get my 2.4 tomorrow. It's perfect as is right now for me...in fact, almost more than I need. So when there is a spec bump, then I won't be too bitter. I honestly believe that there isn't much room for improvement other than spec bumps and they will be negligable. Also, When SL is released, I could buy the upgrade from my University Bookstore for a good discount, at least I'm pretty sure. The only thing that would make the Macbook any better for me would be if they make 4 Gigs of RAM standard and 320 Gigs HD. I honestly don't see the 4 Gigs happening when OS X runs perfectly fine on 2, and 250 will be enough for me....I hope. :o I'm not a gamer, so the 9400 is more than enought for me.

See my point? If I'm flat-out crazy, please tell me! :eek:

NewMacbookPlz
Jun 5, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've been debating this A LOT recently. So I think I've finally decided to get my 2.4 tomorrow. It's perfect as is right now for me...in fact, almost more than I need. So when there is a spec bump, then I won't be too bitter. I honestly believe that there isn't much room for improvement other than spec bumps and they will be negligable. Also, When SL is released, I could buy the upgrade from my University Bookstore for a good discount, at least I'm pretty sure. The only thing that would make the Macbook any better for me would be if they make 4 Gigs of RAM standard and 320 Gigs HD. I honestly don't see the 4 Gigs happening when OS X runs perfectly fine on 2, and 250 will be enough for me....I hope. :o I'm not a gamer, so the 9400 is more than enought for me.

May as well wait a few more days IMO...worst case, nothing changes and you get your computer anyways *shrug*

PolySciSurfer
Jun 5, 2009, 01:39 AM

Well, they won't make 4 gigs the standard, unless you can upgrade to 6 gigs. They have to leave room for you to be able to purchase an upgrade from them. How are they going to sell you ram, if they already max out the computer for you? The hard drive upgrade to 320 I can see happening. You made a really good point about getting SL at the University Book store for cheap, because from what I remember, my university was selling Leopard for 65 bucks I think when it first came out. So it would be best to get the free iPod with the macbook now, then get SL for 65 bucks later.

opinioncircle
Jun 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well, they won't make 4 gigs the standard, unless you can upgrade to 6 gigs. They have to leave room for you to be able to purchase an upgrade from them. How are they going to sell you ram, if they already max out the computer for you? The hard drive upgrade to 320 I can see happening. You made a really good point about getting SL at the University Book store for cheap, because from what I remember, my university was selling Leopard for 65 bucks I think when it first came out. So it would be best to get the free iPod with the macbook now, then get SL for 65 bucks later.

Yeah I've seen pretty darn good deals about software in my university too...

JonHimself
Jun 8, 2009, 05:30 PM

Good call! There's no way they'd ever bump/update/refresh/change their laptops at a public conference with a ton of media attention... oh wait.

Let's all learn from this. We, as readers, can learn that just because someone says something on a message board doesn't mean it's true. You (TallestSkull), as a poster, can learn that maybe making absolute claims (like in other threads) or mocking people for thinking something might not be the best idea... especially when your opinion/thoughts/guesses are just as valid as most people's on here!