PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Copys Apple

jimsowden
May 7, 2004, 09:44 PM
Apple was first, so you know.

etoiles
May 7, 2004, 09:47 PM

Yes Apple INVENTED the famous 'three overlapping in a row' product shots. Or am I missing something, did Porsche align its prices on Powerbooks ?
:p

jimsowden
May 7, 2004, 09:55 PM
Yes Apple INVENTED the famous 'three overlapping in a row' product shots. Or am I missing something, did Porsche align its prices on Powerbooks ?
Sarcasm is really hard to detect in text. Maybe I need a sarcasm detector. Ohh yah, thats real useful. BEBEBEBEBEEEEEEP

Sun Baked
May 7, 2004, 10:32 PM
:pDidn't Designing Women do a small, medium, and large overlapping cast member photo shoot during the Delta Blimp years?

Counterfit
May 8, 2004, 12:02 AM
did Porsche align its prices on Powerbooks ?
:p I wish! I'd go out and buy a Turbo or GT3!

job
May 8, 2004, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Porsche's main page has been like that for at least a year now.

Nothing new to see here...

Koodauw
May 8, 2004, 01:37 AM
I wish! I'd go out and buy a Turbo or GT3!

I prefer the carrera myself. I think the 911 is the most beautiful car that has ever been made. But I a bit biased as it runs in the family.

Squire
May 8, 2004, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure Porsche's main page has been like that for at least a year now.

Nothing new to see here...

I remember Porsche doing similar print ads when the 959 was released. That was in the mid-80's.

(after extensive googling...)

Damn. Can't find it. I did find an old ad that had three Porsches overlapping from a side view. Anyway, Porsche has long used front (and rear) shots of their cars in printed ad campaigns. One ad, in particular, really stands out.

<begin reminiscence>

It was about 8 pages long. On the "cover" was a shot of an old 356 Speedster in a barn. The printed section told a story of a guy running out of gas and walking over to a farm to get some help. The farmer showed him into the barn where the gas and jerry cans were. Then the guy (the narrator, I guess) noticed the 356 Speedster and became very interested in purchasing it from the old farmer. The farmer basically said that it needed some work but was in good shape. His reply was, "Would $200 be too much?" The ad ended with, "And then I woke up."

Each page had a shot of every Porsche model at the time: 944, 944 Turbo, 928, a few 911 models, and the new 959. It also showed a Porsche race car and had the ass end of the 356 on the back cover.

I remember ripping it out of my Road & Track magazine and keeping it because it was so cool.

<end reminiscence>

Long and meaningless. Sorry.

Squire

CmdrLaForge
May 8, 2004, 12:23 PM

Porsche has this for years now.

So nothing new.

Versello
May 8, 2004, 12:28 PM

Porsche has been doing that for quite some time... sorry... no cookie for you.

cheekyspanky
May 8, 2004, 01:07 PM
Yup, I got given a poster of that photo at the UK motorshow in 2002 so it's been out a while!

Spock
May 8, 2004, 01:42 PM
I dont think Apple will be sending them a letter about this pic any time soon

slipper
May 8, 2004, 09:33 PM
I wish! I'd go out and buy a Turbo or GT3!
OMG forget the GT3, get the GT2!!!! :eek:

Counterfit
May 8, 2004, 09:56 PM
OMG forget the GT3, get the GT2!!!! :eek: Heh, not if I'm going to be driving on Rhode Island streets, I'd like to have teeth at the end of the day :p

Coolvirus007
May 9, 2004, 11:02 AM
I think they say "Close but no cigar." (they as in people in a similar)

evilsprung
May 9, 2004, 04:28 PM
Wow, I'm surprised more people aren't freaking out over this. Oh wait I guess things like that only apply to Microsoft, since apparently they're the big scapegoat for stealing anything from Apple.

virividox
May 9, 2004, 04:37 PM
car company displaying their models overlapping; doestn post a threat to apple, besides i dont think apple was teh frist to put overlapping prodcuts anyway

King Cobra
May 9, 2004, 05:01 PM
All right, so I'm browsing over into the General Discussion forums and see only the title of the thread, and I figured that it finally happened...Porsche sold the first blue dalmatian sports car.

Sun Baked
May 9, 2004, 05:35 PM
All right, so I'm browsing over into the General Discussion forums and see only the title of the thread, and I figured that it finally happened...Porsche sold the first blue dalmatian sports car.I can almost see the Purple Porsche with Leopard Skin seats, green fuzzy dashboard, and gold wire wheels with whitewalls buzzing down the street right now.

I know gold wire wheels and whitewalls don't quite fit with candy colors and cat prints, but give Apple a chance to do some upscale retro themes... :eek: