Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSW

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2009
I just purchased an air last week, so pardon the question. My mac says I can upgrade my OS to 10.5.7 with a size of 737MB to install along with itunes and a Quicktime update. The update (and programs) download fine, the problem comes in with the install. When I shut down my computer and begin the install process, the status bar moves only a little bit, then stays put. I left my computer on my desk for about 30 minutes and it is still at the same spot. I had to restart my computer by holding the power button. I have tried to install these programs/updates a few times, and always have the same issues. My questions is, is this normal? Should I leave it on overnight to install the update? By the way, this board is great. The info here has been very helpful!

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I just purchased an air last week, so pardon the question. My mac says I can upgrade my OS to 10.5.7 with a size of 737MB to install along with itunes and a Quicktime update. The update (and programs) download fine, the problem comes in with the install. When I shut down my computer and begin the install process, the status bar moves only a little bit, then stays put. I left my computer on my desk for about 30 minutes and it is still at the same spot. I had to restart my computer by holding the power button. I have tried to install these programs/updates a few times, and always have the same issues. My questions is, is this normal? Should I leave it on overnight to install the update? By the way, this board is great. The info here has been very helpful!

That seems awfully long. I assume you are doing the update while plugged in. You might want to try doing a repair permissions and/or verify disk using Disk Utility. Other things to try would be to only select the OS upgrade and do that first and then do the others as a separate update. Another thing to try would be to down the combo update utility from the apple website directly and use that to do the update rather than using the software update utility.

Combo update

Update: One other thought .. how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I found 10.5.7 one of the longest updates in living Mac memory.

One thing I hate to say but regardless of how slow/halted the process seems to be, you should NEVER restart in the middle of an update. Certainly not after a 'mere' 30 mins. Patience is a virtue.

Personally, I'd reinstall the whole system from disc, and as above poster says download and install the combo update.

RSW

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the answers! I had a PATA hard drive. I bought this air refurbished, so I am thinking about taking it back. I do leave it plugged in when updating, but after about 45 minutes (tried again last night) I had no choice but to hit the power button. However, if others are having this issue, I will let it run overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.