Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
What would you like to see in a new Apple PDA? I would like:

1. Full color display (thousands at least)
2. OSX-lite if possible
3. Airport capable
4. Built in CDROM
5. No graffiti - uses handwriting recognition
6. 2 piggy-backed expansion bays
7. IR beaming

Anyone else?

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
I like the features Gandalf wishes for - except one: I wouldn't go for a built in CD-ROM drive. Why do so? It would enlarge the PDA to an uncomfortable price and what for? If you need software to run on you iPalm, why not install it from your Desktop Mac? Much more because this is what Apple meant with digital hub. The only reasonable option to think of would be a CD-RW. But still there is the size thing.

My additional wishes are:
8. Built in mobile phone.
9. "Always on" internet connection.
10. Comfortable mail- and web-client
11. Pager-Functionality
12. XL-Display (for web-browsing)
13. iTunes Mobile Edition

But there is one more thing, the iPalm should be able to act as a remote control for my fridge, toaster, microwave, TV, Radio, HiFi, lights and all you could think of - with easily addable functionality-plugs for all those machines I've got in my household. ;)

Later,
Greco

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
I like the pager functionality!

How about this:
Software Update for the Apple PDA as well... it rocks with OSX. Web browsing would be great.

How about expansion modules for RAM? The base would have to be 128M I would assume, with the ability to take it to 512 (2) 256M. (piggybacked expansion bays).

Also: How about the ability to run ay 256 greyscale if that would save any juice on the battery. I don't know if in a battery-emergency if it would make a difference or not.

Vocal dictation, note taking would be impressive as well.

iTunes (mp3) would be pretty key as well. Nice pick-up there! Imagine driving a stereo at a party off an Apple PDA :) Whoot.

The phone seems kinda iffy to me. I thought about getting it for my Visor, and I think it would look silly. Just my opinion.

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
That's right, but I just hate to take several devices with me. And I depend on my mobile phone, have all my frequently needed numbers in it. If I where to buy an Apple PDA I would certainly like to combine address-keeping and my mobile phone. I wouldn't have to carry two things with me and would't have to type the numbers twice. Simple as that. Though it might become quite a large mobile... ;)

Later,
Greco

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
What if Airport could somehow also allow you to use a tiny headset (cordless of course) and have it use the Apple PDA act as the hub for the conversation? The PDA would have the cell phone built-in. It would use Airport to carry the 2 way conversation to the headset/microphone. Hand's free use. And you could use the built-in Contacts to dial up - even using voice recognition.

If it would be possible, I would be chubbed all day long...

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
I think you may have overlooked something.........

anyone thought of having a small IBM microdrive in this kick-arse iPalm? I think that one of the most limiting factors of a Palm or Handspring is that it uses exspensive RAM to store programs and files. If the new iPalm has a small hard drive (1 GB or more) would set it apart in many ways:
1. A great storage advantage over Palms and Handsprings.
2. Make your iTunes iPalm version more feasable
3. Greater storage capabilities with smaller cost-per-megabyte.
4. More powerful handheld applications (Photoshop for iPalm, anyone?)
5. Nearly no chance for total loss of HD contents due to crash, removal of batteries for too long, or failure of batteries.

the only downside I can see immediately is that it would be slightly more fragile than totally RAM based portables. But modify the Microdrive with VST technology that has 100 G's of shock tolerance when operating and 500 while not, and you have the hardiness of those RAM based palms with much larger space space to store your stuff. then, instead of putting extra RAM in those expansion slots, use it to connect small cameras, hard drives, or anything else your heart desires without sacrificing some of your RAM to plug it in. Just one of the little things I would like to se on one.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Firewire port would be cool... and if you are talking about Photoshop on it, you would need at least 1 USB port for a mouse or other input device. How cool would a wireless Logitech optical mouse be with a device like this? Basically I think we would all like a version of the iBook in a handheld. I'm not sure how possible that is. Remember how large the Newton 2000 was? I know with the times, Apple can produce something smaller... but with all the features we desire, it would probably have to be something that size if not a bit larger?

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
well if MS can put out their pad thing (notebook-like) Apple can do that better. I think the size of a spiral notebook would still be cool - esp. if it had a handheld PDA that could communicate with it. Can one daisy chain airport bases together?

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Airport Daisychaining

Yes, I am almost certain that you can daisychain airport base stations together, although you can't do it wirelessly. you have to use solid ethernet cables to link two or more of them up. My school is going to impliment this over the summer so that they can eliminate the the miles of ethernet cable they have bought. To start daisychaining, you need to have
Airport 1.3

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Ahh... if there was a way to put an airport hub right inside the notebook, so it could drive a detachable pda ... but i guess thats out of the question. unless you plug the Pad into your desktop or laptop with an ethernet cable.

too many steps = no good for a cosumer portable :(

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
I agree that an airport hub would be impractical inside the iPalm. but maybe Bluetooth shortrange radio could do what you want. You could use it to connect wireless headsets and other devices. is that what you were wanting to do?

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
yup. basically be able to use the pad as a cellular phone, and to use a wireless headset to actually converse on. also somehow link to another device (like a pocket pda that could be taken to meetings - and input is fed right into the big tablet back on my desk)... wonder what the range on a radio wireless thing would be. my cordless headphones (900Mhz) aint too bad until you get about 40 feet away. and thats not far enough. almost looking for a mini-airport thing. i guess for cell-phone use it would rock. and maybe thats good enough!! i would love it!!

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Yeah, me too! in fact, I think Bluetooth is even cheaper than an airport system, exept it has only about one-third the range. Sony has something like what were talking about already on the market over here in japan. It's called the AirBoard, and it has wireless internet, mini-windows, and many other features. It even has a built in memory stick reader, for what I don't know because it has about as much processing power as a peanut. I'm not sure it has Bluetooth though.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
maybe we should send this thread to someone at Apple - but I'm sure that they have a thousand people who discuss this stuff on a regular basis. But I think they would love the feedback...

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
do you know someone we could send it to? it would be totaly awesome if they created a souped up newton with all of the newton's capabilities running os X lite and using some of the ideas we said here.

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
Not reeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy......

I have to admit that I was a little dissapointed when I saw that page. Don't get me wrong, the software was great, but the software was only a small part of the discussion. I was hoping not for an addon module, but a whole new unit. That is nice, but I don't want to have to buy a Handspring AND THEN an expensive OS upgrade module. Siiiiigggghhhh... if only the hardware was so close.....

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
OMG...

Look at the bottom of that page. Then look at the date of the article. It's an April Fool joke you clowns :)

Besides, how the HELL could a variant of OSX run with less than 8Mb RAM?!?!?

Sorry - but that's not even close. It's gonna have to be brand new hardware. Period.

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Great idea, Gandalf... but to whom. Do you know someone there? Because if we sent it to info@apple.com they would probably not even take a close look at it...

Later,
Greco

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2001
boston
I sent it to someone in the ADC network - so who knows. By this time I'm sure they are pretty far along anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.