PDA

View Full Version : Sims 3 for iPhone is out.

Chundles
Jun 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
Just popped up on the iTunes Store. A$12.99

Not going to download, thought someone would find some interest in it.

Rayfire
Jun 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
It shows USD 9.99 on my side..

And here's the link (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317904170&mt=8)
(for US App store)

liptonlover
Jun 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
It's only at $10 for me too. It doesn't have any reviews left on my Touch or in iTunes but it's already climbing up the paid apps list.

I'll wait for reviews, an update for any bugs, and a price drop. Can anyone who's bought it elaborate on it?
Nate

Kahnyl
Jun 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
It's pretty good so far but I've only played about a half hour. Unfortunately, in that half hour it crashed twice. I think it remembered progress both times.

aluren
Jun 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
not bad for the price. i was a little disappointed when you first create your sim, the features are pretty limited (only 5-10 choices each for eyes, skin color, hair, clothes, etc...). i was expecting alot more. i only played about half an hour also and so far it has crashed on me yet.

Michael CM1
Jun 2, 2009, 04:29 PM
I loved playing sim stuff from back in the day of Sim City on SNES and even Sim Moon on PC (or was it Sim Earth?). This iPhone version seems very very nice for such a small package (70MB) and for $10. I'm sure the Mac Sims 3 version is much more in-depth, but this is awesome for passing time around town. I think it needs some work, like settings so you don't always auto zoom on your sim and so you can say "goodbye" to another sim, not to mention telling the other sims to watch TV with you or other stuff.

I'd give this 4 1/2 stars. Well worth the $10. If there was a way to involve multiplayer once OS 3.0 comes out, I might give it 6 out of 5 stars.

redman042
Jun 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
It's only at $10 for me too. It doesn't have any reviews left on my Touch or in iTunes but it's already climbing up the paid apps list.

I'll wait for reviews, an update for any bugs, and a price drop. Can anyone who's bought it elaborate on it?
Nate

He said A$12. The A means Australian dollars.

ImNoSuperMan
Jun 2, 2009, 07:04 PM
Ok. Playing the game for a few hours now. It started out a little slow but I can see how it can keep me glued for days(nights included:D).

First things first-
As expected the game can not be compared to the full version of Sims 3 on Mac n PeeCee. It might include only 10%(guesstimate) of the functions you can get in the computer version. But that is pretty much understandable as iPhone can not be compared to to a full blown PC when it comes to gaming. Still the EA team has definitely done the best possible on iPhone and kudos to them for not treating iPhone version as trash.

Now the Grafix are great. Sims look very nice(and cute). Only annoying thing is the loading screens you encounter everytime you go to town or come back home. These loading screens show up even when I see a sim in town and start a conversation and again when I leave the conversation and go back to town view. Though this loading time is only a few seconds but still its a lil annoying considering these situations will be coming up every few minutes. The controls are what you expected. Smooth and simple with a slider on the right side to zoom in and out. Tap anywhere on the floor to move your sim to that place or tap on any item to select an activity for the sim. Swipe your finger on screen to see around or use 2 fingers to rotate the camera.

Your main goal is to keep your sims happy by keeping all needs(like hunger, energy, bladder, social, fun and hygiene) fulfilled all the time. If you have never played a sims game(Welcome back to earth. How was Mars?) it may sound stupid that the game has no levels or final goals to be achieved to finish the game but thats how The Sims work. The game is worth every cent even at 10$. It`ll keep you busy for quite a few days and I dont think I`ll ever delete it from my iPhone. If paying 10$ for a game is OK for you than grab it ASAP. Or elsewait a few months to see if it drops to 5-6$. I didnt want to wait so bought it as soon as it became available and wont EVER regret my decision. NEVER(or atleast until they put it on sale :o).

There is one major problem I faced though. The game crashed a few times on my iPhone. Forcing me to manually save my game every few minutes to make sure I dont loose too much in case it crashes next time. But since I restarted my iPhone it`s not crashed even once during the last one hour. Anyone else having that problem. May be its happening coz I have a Jailbroken iPhone and over 300 apps installed on my iPhone. My 2G iPhone seems quite a bit slower than my nephew`s 2nd generation iPod Touch even when doing simple tasks like browsing and opening the settings etc. May be the iPhone is showing its age and it`s telling me to get the new iPhone as soon as it becomes available ;)

First Impressions:-
As expected the first thing you had to do was choose your sims appearance, gender, name and personality traits. There weren't a million options to choose here. Only a few available each for the skin color, hair style, eyes, shirt, pants and shoes. After that you get to choose a single defining character(persona) for the sim. You can chose from Nice Guy, a Jerk, Sleaze, Power seeker, Maniac or Jack of all trades. Then you choose 5 personality traits for the sim like shy, conversationalist, good/bad sense of humor, vain, modest, active, couch potato and lots other(about 20 available). After naming the sim you have to choose a save box for your game(a total of three were available) and all is set to get his virtual life started. The sim moves in a pre constructed house and you dont have any control over the house designing like you used to in earlier sims games for the PC. I spent some time following the tutorial. Within a few minutes everything about controlling the sim was explained to me.

Gameplay:-
There are no levels/stages to be completed in the game but there are about 70 odd wishes which will keep popping up in your sim's minds. Every time a wish pops up you can either discard it or choose to accept it. In which case the wish will be added to your pending wishlist for a specific period of time. If u complete the wish then it'll be added to your acheivement. But if you can't do it in time than you will have to wait until it pops back up in the sim's mind. Also you can have only 5 wishes selected at a time. Most of the wishes are simple like cook something, repair something, go fishing, or grow a specific plant in the garden which all increase your sim's skills. Some are completely stupid like slap any other sim or spook another sim. Also there are some wishes like keep the sim well fed/entertained/rested/etc for 3-4 days. All in all pretty balanced stuff to keep you busy for a long long time. Every time you complete a wish it gets checked in the Goals Checklist menu (which can be found at the start of the game).

Town:-
Now your sim has to leave the house and visit the town to do grocery shopping, meet other sims, make friends, go fishing or getting a job. Grocery shopping here turned out to be very much detailed. To start cooking I had to first buy a recipe from the bistro, than find out what ingredients are required and hand pick each one of them from the store. They all cost money and with very little finances availble at the start you'd rather only get what you absolutely need. Later on you`ll be able to grow some of these vegetables in your own background to save money and increase your gardening skills.

Meeting new sims is pretty much the same as the previous sims games. You see a sim moving around town and greet him/her to start a conversation. You get a few options like tell a joke, talk about work, flirt, make a face etc. Nothing you didn't expect after playing the previous sims games. You can make friends, convert them to good friends and best friends. You can also give them a call from your house phone to increase your social level.

Jobs:-
You have to get your sim a job asap. You only get a few hundred dollars to start with which won't last you even a week if you start fulfilling your sims wishes. You dont have to do much for the job. Once you get one all u have to do is make sure he goes to work on time. After that within a second your sim come back from the job with his/her salary.

All Jobs pay 100$ a day for starters and require you to work only on weekdays-which I found out isnt necessarily a good thing during the start of the game as you need a lot of money for your sims requirements. Mine almost straved to death on the a sunday as I had only 3$ left and couldnt feed him. Finally had to visit a friend and grab something from her kitchen to save his life >:(. Most jobs were from 8.30 am to 6 Pm but the best one for starters is at the Laboratory which requires you to work only from 9.00 am to 4 pm. What I dont know is which one of these jobs will get you the best raise and promotions later on. Also one interesting thing happened on my sims job. After he completed his day at the Lab I got a dialog box telling me I had seen a co worker stealing money and asked me if I wanted to tell the manager. I told the manager but the co worker dragged me with him telling I too was involved and both of us were fired :o. But not really a big deal as you can re-apply for the same job there and then. But would have been frustrating if this had happened after I got a couple of promotions and had to start from scratch again.

Other Sims:-
The rest of the sims seem to lack any AI as most act/behave pretty much in equal manner. It`s very very easy to befriend any one of them. Even after I kicked the trash can of one of the sims all I needed to do was clean up, issue an apology and couple of jokes and chatting later she was already my friend.

Just the beginning:-
There are still a lot of things to be done/explored like upgrade the house/fishing/gardening etc which I havent yet done coz I dont have enough money in hand. Hopefully the game will keep coming up with new stuff to keep me interested as it progresses. In the end I`d like to repeat the game is easily worth 10$ and is highly recommended to anyone even slightly interested in this type of game. The game rekindled my interest in The Sims enough that I m considering getting the Mac Version. If only it wasnt 50$.

Warning:- The game is highly addictive. It`s 4 in the morning and still I cant stop myself from getting back to as soon as I hit the post button. So buy AT YOUR OWN RISK :o:p:D:D

cheese1756
Jun 5, 2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks. I was wondering if the Sims game was good

GraphicRhino
Jun 7, 2009, 10:23 AM
It's ok

volntitan
Jun 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Do you have to be connected to wifi/3g for it to operate? Flying overseas and thought it would be something to pass the time....

philgilder
Jun 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
Do you have to be connected to wifi/3g for it to operate? Flying overseas and thought it would be something to pass the time....
nope, you don't