PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Network!

chriscorcoran
May 8, 2004, 06:30 AM
Hey everbody!

My names Chris. I work for a Public School in Massachuttess and we just recived 1 million dollars for technology spending from a town wide bond. Begin the Network Administrator it has become my job to decide where we should spend this money. I have decided to overall the entire network replacing all servers and desktops with Macs (G5s for the Servers and iMacs for Desktops). But I have run into a few jams and I was woundering if anyone out there could help me.

1)Well currently we are using Novell Netware as our file and user managment server. But I cant seem to find anything that is equvillant to Netware on the Mac. I also wanted to rollout Novell's Nterprise Services but they have not been ported to the MacOS X. Does anyone have any ideas?

2)I am also using a workstation managment software that only runs on Windows. This software lets me remote control systmes and blast images on to each machine. Will Remote Desktop allow me to do that?

3)Security is a big thing and I know macs are known for there security. Does anyone know if the MacOS X firewall could handle 600+ computers all acccessing the internet at the same time and will it give me the flexablity I need with such a demanding network?

Ok thats need for know. Lets hear what you got!

dotcomlarry
May 8, 2004, 07:50 AM
Perhaps you should contact Apple themselves with your questions. I'm sure they could help you in spending that $1 million you have very easily. They will probably welcome your business with open arms.

edesignuk
May 8, 2004, 07:59 AM
Perhaps you should contact Apple themselves with your questions. I'm sure they could help you in spending that $1 million you have very easily. They will probably welcome your business with open arms.
This is exactly what you should do. They will have done this sort of thing many times and will know what you will need to get the job done, and to make the migration from Novell etc to Mac OS X Server as seemless as possible. You tell them you have $1m to spend and I'd have thought they'd give you all the help you need ;) :D

MacAficionado
May 8, 2004, 08:50 AM
Don't know much about all that, but a quick search turned this in:

http://www.prosofteng.com/

And if you go to:

http://guide.apple.com

you should be able to find what you need as far as netware. Just do a software search, then "server, networking and communication" or whatever it is you need.

Les Kern
May 8, 2004, 09:43 AM
We are close in what we do and have! I have about 700 Macs in out high school, and just received 650K of new stuff that will be installed this summer.

1)Well currently we are using Novell Netware as our file and user managment server. But I cant seem to find anything that is equvillant to Netware on the Mac. I also wanted to rollout Novell's Nterprise Services but they have not been ported to the MacOS X. Does anyone have any ideas?
I trashed Netware when I arrived here, and never looked back. I have 23 servers, and I am upgrading to 12 XServe G5's in a month or so. They have remote management, the ability to have DMZ/internall access at the same time, etc., etc. You need to have Apple come to see you in person. I have a tech coming for 7 days in June to do my conversion because what I want to do is rather time consuming, and it's the hub of my plans this year. Call them.

2)I am also using a workstation managment software that only runs on Windows. This software lets me remote control systmes and blast images on to each machine. Will Remote Desktop allow me to do that?
Apple Remote Access does a great job under X, much like ANAT did under 9. I would look under NetInstall and NetBoot. Again, talk to Apple tech.

3)Security is a big thing and I know macs are known for there security. Does anyone know if the MacOS X firewall could handle 600+ computers all acccessing the internet at the same time and will it give me the flexablity I need with such a demanding network?
I use Sonicwall for a firewall, so therefore the firewalls are off. It also runs NAT, and I use static for IP's. This aids in identifying machines. For my desktop security I use Hi-Resolution MacManager. If you haven't heard of it you MUST look into it. Students and teachers can use it, and it has features that make MacManager look like a toy, including a miniscule network footprint. Shares are automatically mounted, only allowed apps run, users can get print credits, and more. Look into this product! It is without a doubt the most important, time-saving app I have EVER used. Also, it has the abilty to install SW packs, but I plan on using NetInstall and NetBoot for images.

varmit
May 8, 2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe get emacs instead of imacs. Save a little money, dont' get the chance of a bad lcd, and its an all in one unit. Maybe spend the money for the tilt and swivel stand so people can change the angle of the unit.

Get them off netware, just make a migration plan quickly, get the help of Apple for doing this, because summer is coming and this is when you want to get it done by the time schools starts. Don't forget training of teachers to the new computers.

Every mac has the firewall, and if you turn it on, it works quiet well. But I would still have a full professional firewall box to protect the network as a whole. And the ability to lock down users and install software across the network has been made easy by Apple. Call them up, tell them what you are looking for, the Apple rep will come to see you.