Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSA.JULIUS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
London, UK
Hi

I'm looking forward to getting my new uMB after 8 June.

Unfortunately I will have to run windows on my mac, so my question is will windows run as normal?

If I run windows what application would you recommend?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Your choices are: bootcamp (use the MacBook as a normal PC) or vitualization (run Windows from within OSX).

Virtualization options are Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox (free).

bootcamp gives Windows full control of the hardware and lets you run 3d apps like games. Virtualization is slower and there is poor 3d support. If your needs are modest VirtualBox can work fine. You will need an official copy of Windows.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Also note that since running Windows in a virtual machine will eat battery faster than running it in boot camp, you should consider whether or not you want maximum battery life.

If you don't care about battery, use a virtual machine and VirtualBox software (free).

If you DO care about battery, I suggest you install Windows via boot camp and access it that way. Also free. And if needed you can use VMWare Fusion to access the boot camp install while in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.