PDA

View Full Version : WebCamera For Powerbook G4?

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm looking to use a webcam for my Powerbook G4. I have an EyeToy usb camera but I can't seem to get that to work for any of my programs such as iMovie 09 and other iLife applications. I either want to know where I can get a camera that will work with this computer (That isn't very expensive) or how I can get my eye toy to work with everything. Please help.

uberamd
Jun 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
I would research this: http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Portable-Goose-Neck-Video/dp/B0001JSSLI

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks! Does anybody have experience with this webcam? Anybody know if it works with mac?

crees!
Jun 2, 2009, 10:33 AM
Any old iSights laying around....

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 10:35 AM
I don't have an old iSight laying around, if anybody happens to have one, maybe we can work something out?

GoCubsGo
Jun 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
For my PB I used (without issue) a XBox Live Cam. They can be had new on eBay for $20 shipped.

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 10:41 AM
Jessica, was it just a plug in and go? Or did you have to use more applications to hack the camera and what not?

GoCubsGo
Jun 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
Oh yes, it was. I used it frequently with:
iChat AV (both on Tiger and Leopard)
Delicious Library (as a scanner)
Photobooth

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
So I could just buy one, plug it in, and the wah-lah it just works fine?

rowsdower
Jun 2, 2009, 11:51 AM
macam has drivers for a lot of USB webcams.

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

EyeToy is on their list of supported devices. No guarantees, but it's worth a try since you have the camera already. I used to use macam for Skype on my Powerbook with a Quickcam Pro 4000 and I still use it on my desktop. I have never tried it in any iLife applications, but I think it would work since it is a Quicktime plugin.

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
I just tried it with Macam and nothing seemed to detect the camera, I don't know whats the problem? The only thing I could see the camera working with was when I pressed the play button on macam. Nothing else.

PrincessPeach
Jun 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
I use a Hue HD with my Macs. The big question is, what version of OSX are you running on that? A lot of the cameras weren't supported very well until Tiger.

AlphaJimmy
Jun 2, 2009, 01:14 PM
IM running 10.5.7

mrkgoo
Jun 2, 2009, 01:29 PM
I had a PS2 EyeToy, and I'm pretty sure I had that going with my PowerBook G4 Skype.

Prenvo
Jun 2, 2009, 02:10 PM
macam has drivers for a lot of USB webcams.

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

EyeToy is on their list of supported devices. No guarantees, but it's worth a try since you have the camera already. I used to use macam for Skype on my Powerbook with a Quickcam Pro 4000 and I still use it on my desktop. I have never tried it in any iLife applications, but I think it would work since it is a Quicktime plugin.

I use that and my webcam doesn't work in Apple-made software, like iLife or Photo Booth :)

rowsdower
Jun 2, 2009, 04:38 PM
I just tried it in Photo Booth and it works for me. Maybe it depends on the camera. Did you copy the macam.component package into /Library/QuickTime?

Prenvo
Jun 2, 2009, 05:20 PM
I just tried it in Photo Booth and it works for me. Maybe it depends on the camera. Did you copy the macam.component package into /Library/QuickTime?

Yup, did everything it required. I think it is device-specific as my camera kinda goes mental with its light flashing before a black screen is shown in Photo Booth.