PDA

View Full Version : Importing SD Footage From Tapeless camera fc

Macpropro80
Jun 2, 2009, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know how to import Non-AVCHD footage from a tapeless camera into final cut express? I know how to do it with AVCHD footage but Not standard def footage. The Camera is a Canon FS10 flash based camera. Final Cut express 4

CaptainChunk
Jun 3, 2009, 05:13 AM
That camera uses proprietary MPEG-2 format (with .MOD file containers) to record, which means the files will have to be transcoded to something like DV-NTSC prior to editing in FCE.

A friend of mine actually has JVC camcorder that works in similar fashion.

What you want to do is first copy all the .MOD files (don't worry about the .MOI files that might have been created as they're only ID files) from the camcorder into a folder (the camcorder should mount as a USB disk drive in Mac OS X). Then, use an application like MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) to export the .MOD files to DV NTSC.

After the files are transcoded, they should drop right into FCE for editing.

yoak
Jun 3, 2009, 09:19 AM
I donīt know if this work flow works in FC Express, but this is what I do when I want SD footage in FC.
Shoot in any HD format, drop the footage on a HD timeline, open a new SD timeline (DV, whatever you want).
Copy all the footage from the HD timeline and drop it into the other SD timeline and render it out.

If FC Express canīt have multiple timelines open, make a SD timeline and drop the HD footage onto the timeline and just click "NO" when FC asks if it should change the timeline setting to match the clip. Render.

I understatnd this donīt answer your problem right now, but for the future, just shoot HD and let FC do the down conversion for you.
This way youīll have the master clips in HD if you need it one day

EDIT: Iīm sorry if this workflow for some reason dosenīt work in Express, I only ever used Pro

CaptainChunk
Jun 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
I donīt know if this work flow works in FC Express, but this is what I do when I want SD footage in FC.
Shoot in any HD format, drop the footage on a HD timeline, open a new SD timeline (DV, whatever you want).
Copy all the footage from the HD timeline and drop it into the other SD timeline and render it out.

If FC Express canīt have multiple timelines open, make a SD timeline and drop the HD footage onto the timeline and just click "NO" when FC asks if it should change the timeline setting to match the clip. Render.

I understatnd this donīt answer your problem right now, but for the future, just shoot HD and let FC do the down conversion for you.
This way youīll have the master clips in HD if you need it one day

EDIT: Iīm sorry if this workflow for some reason dosenīt work in Express, I only ever used Pro

I think you're missing that the HS10 is not an HD camera. Like some of the JVC Everios, it shoots SD in a proprietary MPEG-2 wrapper that was never really intended for editing. As such, non-linear editing software has no way to convert it to a compatible format, which is why you have to use software like MPEG Streamclip. Thankfully, it's free.