PDA

View Full Version : Apple Aluminum Keyboard Question

simplymuzik3
Jun 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hi, Im looking on ebay to buy an apple aluminum wired keyboard. I found one of the new "short" ones, without the keypad. It's the mini wired one. However, the keyboard is a french one, but it's still QWERTY. My question is:

If I buy the keyboard, and plug it into my mac, can I use it as an english keyboard? There are some weird symbols on it, and when i press them, would they do the same thing they do on the english version(keys look different because one's french, the other english). Is there any way to make the keyboard act like an english one? I dont mind if the actual symbol on the key is different, i know my way around the kb. I just need to know if you can make OSX think its an english keyboard. The bid ends tomorrow, so I would really appreciate it, if I could get some responses soon. Thanks!

hatehereyes
Jun 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure about this but I would think it was in the OS.
So it should work as an english keyboard.
That's just what I think though so don't take my word for it.

but which makes sense more is, why don't you just look for an English keyboard instead of going through the hassle if it doesn't work?

simplymuzik3
Jun 2, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure about this but I would think it was in the OS.
So it should work as an english keyboard.
That's just what I think though so don't take my word for it.

but which makes sense more is, why don't you just look for an English keyboard instead of going through the hassle if it doesn't work?

the english keyboards are about 4x more expensive. I found the french one for 10$ including shipping.

Fizzoid
Jun 2, 2009, 03:25 PM
However, the keyboard is a french one, but it's still QWERTY.
French keyboards are AZERTY. Perhaps that's a French-Canadian keyboard

simplymuzik3
Jun 2, 2009, 03:34 PM
yeah it's a french canadian QWERTY keyboard. I live in canada, and so is the seller. I only speak english, so I would need the keyboard to act as if it was the english version. Anyone else with their thoughts?

Shake 'n' Bake
Jun 2, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi, Im looking on ebay to buy an apple aluminum wired keyboard. I found one of the new "short" ones, without the keypad. It's the mini wired one. However, the keyboard is a french one, but it's still QWERTY. My question is:

If I buy the keyboard, and plug it into my mac, can I use it as an english keyboard? There are some weird symbols on it, and when i press them, would they do the same thing they do on the english version(keys look different because one's french, the other english). Is there any way to make the keyboard act like an english one? I dont mind if the actual symbol on the key is different, i know my way around the kb. I just need to know if you can make OSX think its an english keyboard. The bid ends tomorrow, so I would really appreciate it, if I could get some responses soon. Thanks!

It ought to work like an English one, but why not just buy an English one and save the hassle?

simplymuzik3
Jun 2, 2009, 03:38 PM
It ought to work like an English one, but why not just buy an English one and save the hassle?

cost. the english one is about 4x as much. and im not going to pay $50 +tax for a keyboard.

dubhe
Jun 2, 2009, 03:43 PM
It will be fine, you just change system prefs/international/input menu to whatever you want and it will treat the keyboard like that. I bought my PowerBook in the states and used it in the UK like this so I had a sign above the number 3. You can try it now by changing the keyboard you are using now to a French one for example.

simplymuzik3
Jun 2, 2009, 03:45 PM
It will be fine, you just change system prefs/international/input menu to whatever you want and it will treat the keyboard like that. I bought my PowerBook in the states and used it in the UK like this so I had a sign above the number 3. You can try it now by changing the keyboard you are using now to a French one for example.

Thank you so much!!! I tried switching my english to french, and it worked perfectly! Thanks a whole bunch! :) You just saved me a lot of money!!! Thanks!