Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I'm sure I've seen this before, but can't seem to find it.

I'm looking into buying a second hand macbook pro to use as a home theatre system along with my drobo.

Does playing ripped mkv files / 1080p HD movies require the power of a core 2 duo processor, or will a core duo do the trick?

Obviously I want to spend as little as possible, and I can't get the latest kit because I want to output to s-video due to old TV tech (can't afford to upgrade everything at once)

Thanks - Sorry if I've just been blind and missed it!

/Doug

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Most of my 1080 mkv files play fine on my Core Duo MBP but there are a few that stutter badly, but they play fine on my mate's 2.4Ghz wMB so it must be the CPU not being up to the job

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Ah ok, so it's a bit hit and miss?

I don't want to end up spending a chunk of money on something that's not quite up to task.

Thanks for the quick reply :O)

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
It's definitely more hit than miss. Out of about 20+ films only 3 suffer from the stuttering. MBP is a 2Ghz Core Duo

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I think I'll just have to save a few more ££ to et hold of one a bit more powerful to ensure future-proofing. I know I'll regret it if I have problems.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I wondered, but new laptops don't output to s-video through the new hardware :(

The older models share the same graphics chipset as the older minis and I've read they won't output correct resolutions for a 16:9 CRT tv without a lot of effort and trial and error.

I think other than a mac pro or an iMac I'm restricted to a MacBook pro for technical reasons. And because I want something small like a mini or a laptop to sit nicely next to/underneath the tv unit.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
What about a new mac mini. It has a mini dvi out which take dvi, vga or s-video outputs, it also has the mini display port for future proofing, should be more than powerful enough for your needs, and cheaper than a good enough second hand mbp.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I thought I'd read before on the forum that the new 9400m chipset on the minis wouldn't support a-video. If this isn't the case, a mini is definitely an option!

Can anyone confirm whether the new minis support a-video out or not?

Cheers

/Doug

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009

I thought I'd read before on the forum that the new 9400m chipset on the minis wouldn't support a-video. If this isn't the case, a mini is definitely an option!

Can anyone confirm whether the new minis support a-video out or not?

Cheers

/Doug

According to Wikipedia:
With the release of the March 2009 revision of the Mac Mini, the computer now supports the 9400M GPU and Mini Display Port technology to more easily run high resolution media. It is also no longer compatible with composite or S-Video.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Thought so. Mini isn't an option in that case.

Think I'm back to Mac Pro, iMac (due to getting aq screen as well), or the original MacBook Pro.

Which really only leaves me with what I though :( I need a pre-unibody MacBook Pro or a new TV + a Mini.

I think it will be better getting a MacBook Pro. Then it can be an emergency fully functional mac too - graphics included.

Thanks for clarification rowsdower!

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Thought so. Mini isn't an option in that case.

Think I'm mac to Mac Pro, iMac (due to getting aq screen as well), or the original MacBook Pro.

Which really only leaves me with what I though :( I need a pre-unibody MacBook Pro or a new TV + a Mini.

I think it will be better getting a MacBook Pro. Then it can be an emergency fully functional mac too - graphics included.

Thanks for clarification rowsdower!

I would double check that, the mini has display port AND mini dvi outputs,
apple website said:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
Mini-DVI port
DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)
VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Mini DisplayPort output

apple also sell a mini-dvi -> s-video adaptor
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A?mco=NDcwODc4NA

maybe phone their sales helpline, should be able to give you final confirmation.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I know that you've said its not much of an option but I would recommend waiting, saving up for the tv as well and then get a mini at the same time.

In the past I know my set ups have suffered because of buying products at different times. Wasted a bit of money... most of it not mine though.

I do, do a lot of research before buying things but even then everything just seems to go better and work better and last better if they are bought with each other. 'If your going to do something, do it properly first time'.
A new TV is expensive but still relatively cheap... I guess I just like new stuff.

Luke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.