PDA

View Full Version : 'The Sims 3' for iPhone Debuts

MacRumors
Jun 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/02/the-sims-3-for-iphone-debuts/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/02/162724-the_sims_3.jpeg

EA's The Sims franchise is one of the most successful video game series of all time, and has come to define the genre of "life simulation" social gaming. The latest release in the series, The Sims 3 launched today simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and iPhone [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317904170&mt=8), $9.99]. TouchArcade offers up a "first impressions" review (http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/01/the-sims-3-first-impressions/) of the iPhone version of the game, revealing a well-done and worthy addition to the franchise, but one which comes up short in several areas.At the end of the day, The Sims 3 is a decent downsized port that likely has enough content to keep fans of the series satisfied. It comes loaded with the same quirky AI seen in the previous games, and most of the social options when talking to NPC's seem to have remained intact. Whether or not I'd recommend The Sims 3 largely depends on what you liked out of The Sims games.

The Sims 3 is an extremely ambitious game for the iPhone, even with the limitations it has, but if you're like me, and really enjoyed building elaborate houses, you'll probably want to take a pass. If what you spent the most time doing was cultivating virtual relationships between your Sim and the other Sims in your neighborhood, you'll find yourself right at home once you get the hang of the controls.

Article Link: 'The Sims 3' for iPhone Debuts (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/02/the-sims-3-for-iphone-debuts/)

benflick
Jun 2, 2009, 03:32 PM
I love The Sims. But $10?:eek:
It must be good

SilentPanda
Jun 2, 2009, 03:35 PM
I love The Sims. But $10?:eek:
It must be good

If this game were published on the Nintendo DS it would easily be $40. Just because the majority of the "junk" on the app store is free/$0.99 doesn't mean things can't be more. Unfortunately we've spoiled ourselves.

Not that it has to be $10 either... just consider ourselves lucky that most of our applications which would be much more on something like the DS offers a cheaper price point typically on mobiles.

sam3020
Jun 2, 2009, 03:36 PM
i just brought it. will let you know what it is like

benflick
Jun 2, 2009, 03:37 PM
If this game were published on the Nintendo DS it would easily be $40. Just because the majority of the "junk" on the app store is free/$0.99 doesn't mean things can't be more. Unfortunately we've spoiled ourselves.

Not that it has to be $10 either... just consider ourselves lucky that most of our applications which would be much more on something like the DS offers a cheaper price point typically on mobiles.

You make a good point.

Rojo
Jun 2, 2009, 03:37 PM
I thought this was going to debut with iPhone OS 3.0, no?
Didn't it have a lot of features that 3.0 takes advantage of?

ditzy
Jun 2, 2009, 03:39 PM
Spent hours on this today. I've had to recharge my iPod twice. Though not sure I'll play it as much when Sims 3 is released in the UK. But it is far better than I was expecting and loading times are really good.

It will take advantage of 3.0, but can be played before that, which is a good thing.

Rojo
Jun 2, 2009, 03:42 PM
It will take advantage of 3.0, but can be played before that, which is a good thing.

Sweet - thanks!

mikelucas1
Jun 2, 2009, 03:49 PM
i bought this today and love it, it's a fun game :)

Stile
Jun 2, 2009, 03:50 PM
I always think it's silly that people complain about spending $5 or $10 on a game. You realize a movie will cost you about $10 and some people spend $5 on a coffee. I bought this today as well, I'm sure it will keep me entertained for at least the length of a movie :)

MacVixen
Jun 2, 2009, 03:54 PM
Just downloaded, can't wait to get started! :D

$10 for this game or for Tiger Woods is well worth it to me. The Mac and Wii equivalents are generally $49.95+ and I never dreamed this game would cost less than $10 for the iPhone. To be honest I thought it would be closer to the $20 range.

I'm sure the price will drop in time and some folks may be willing to buy when it's $7.99 or $5.99 or whatever, but I have no problem paying the current price.

vixensfo
Jun 2, 2009, 04:03 PM
has anyone found out if you can buy additional items ingame?

wakka092
Jun 2, 2009, 04:15 PM
has anyone found out if you can buy additional items ingame?

You will be able once 3.0 is released.

hafruit
Jun 2, 2009, 04:25 PM
I bought this today, not sure what to make of it so far. Pretty good for an iPhone game.

It says to grow tomatoes I need to upgrade my house in build mode, but I'm having trouble finding the build mode. Can anyone help? :confused:

Edit: Nevermind, when you do enough things it unlocks it..

leandromp
Jun 2, 2009, 04:37 PM
Can you build your own house?

joelw87
Jun 2, 2009, 05:15 PM
is it just me.... I just bought sims 3 for my iPhone and it installs... but when it starts loading it just quits out... every time...

its really annoying.

jmccullough108
Jun 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
is it just me.... I just bought sims 3 for my iPhone and it installs... but when it starts loading it just quits out... every time...

its really annoying.

Restart your device.

joelw87
Jun 2, 2009, 05:21 PM
Restart your device.

I have, its not working for me :(

Asar
Jun 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
well worth the $10. i couldnt sleep due to me playing it for hours. addicting game.

Blue Fox
Jun 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
I have, its not working for me :(

Mine did the same, do a "hard reset" (hold top button and home button until phone shuts off and the Apple logo reappears). All good now.

joelw87
Jun 2, 2009, 06:12 PM
Mine did the same, do a "hard reset" (hold top button and home button until phone shuts off and the Apple logo reappears). All good now.

Still not working for me... Thanks for the help tho.

I'm very disappointed after spending 5.99 on a app that doesn't work.

I mean, you don't go and but a PS3 game that doesn't work, or a DS game that doesn't work...

leandromp
Jun 2, 2009, 06:28 PM

I mean, you don't go and but a PS3 game that doesn't work, or a DS game that doesn't work...

How can u compared an iPhone with a PS3??

PS: Can you build your own house?

bradenwh
Jun 2, 2009, 06:36 PM
How can u compared an iPhone with a PS3??

PS: Can you build your own house?

He wasn't comparing the consoles. He was comparing the games.
How when you by a PS3 or DS game, you're almost 100% sure it's going to work fine. But when you buy an App Store game, especially when you're jailbroken, there's an increased chance that there'll be something wrong.

iMacoo7
Jun 2, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have been playing it since this past Friday(When it was actually released).Its a fun game. Im really not or was not on the Sim's boat like my wife who is a die hard sims fan but I really like it. I have not experienced the crashing someone else was referring to. You can upgrade your house though for 1,000. So far its been really fun. You can purchase a radio and the radio can play various tunes, some of which are old school pop songs and you can forward through them.The purchasing things for money will come when 3.0 is released.

BUTTTTTTTTTT!
I was thinking..... Why would they release this version now when they previously stated that it will be released when the 3.0 software is released?
Does this in fact mean that we will be seeing the new 3.0 software emerging here in the near future??Well all the same I really like the game.

twoodcc
Jun 2, 2009, 09:14 PM
so, when iPhone OS 3.0 is released, will that mean that you'll automatically get those new features of this game?

kockgunner
Jun 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

Haha. Exactly. You don't buy a PSP game and then find out your PSP doesn't have enough RAM to run the game.

dergaderg
Jun 3, 2009, 01:16 AM

its really annoying.

Try reinstalling it...

teme
Jun 3, 2009, 01:19 AM

Well, because 3.0 update will of course cost some extra for iPod Touch users, I'm sure that most publishers don't want to require 3.0 update, because it would narrow down the possible buyers.

starcrossed
Jun 3, 2009, 01:43 AM
All apps that Apple approves now have to be compatible for both OS 2.0 and OS 3.0. The features you remember seeing from the Sims demo at OS 3.0 event are ready to deploy but apple hasn't opened those channels yet. Kind of push notification that has been allowed to be tested but not available to the public yet.

cypher23
Jun 3, 2009, 09:16 AM

Is it just Sims or do all your apps crash (load then revert back to home screen)? Either way, delete that app and re-download it. It's free if you've already purchased it.

Blue Fox
Jun 3, 2009, 10:34 AM

If you already tried deleting it, then reinstalling it, and it still doesn't work, sync your iPhone to iTunes, transfer purchases, then re-sync Sims 3 from iTunes to your phone and see if that works. I had to do that once (about a year ago) with one app that just refused to work correctly. (think it was Scrabble now that I think about it)

guzhogi
Jun 3, 2009, 11:14 AM
I wonder how many copies it sold in its first week so far. I heard that over 180,000 copies for the PC have been pirated already (from www.theregister.co.uk). Makes you wonder how many LEGAL copies there are

Stridder44
Jun 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
I cannot possibly see how this could be enjoyable on an iPhone.

rodkill
Jun 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
I love it and hope they update it soon. It crashes alot on both the 2.2 and 3.0 beta OSes. They need to add an auto-save feature. What is odd is when it crashes you lose all of your work, but the time/date does not revert, so technically you lose time which sucks.

Twitcho
Jun 3, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have been really enjoying the game. It has crashed a few times but nothing major. Never crashes when hooked up to a charger though, which is a bit odd.
Overall, I think it is well worth the money.

joelw87
Jun 3, 2009, 04:54 PM
Is it just Sims or do all your apps crash (load then revert back to home screen)? Either way, delete that app and re-download it. It's free if you've already purchased it.

Just re-downloaded it directly to my iPhone... and it still crashes on launch....

am I still the only person experiencing this?

Joel.

twoodcc
Jun 4, 2009, 11:51 AM
Just re-downloaded it directly to my iPhone... and it still crashes on launch....

Joel.

hmm. maybe you have another app installed that is messing up the game?

SpitzerCR
Jun 4, 2009, 07:27 PM
sims app plus that walk and email app = play sims and drive... :D

nitromaxx
Jun 6, 2009, 08:34 AM

Joel.

I had the same problems when i first bought the app, but it was fixed with a reset.

dontwalkhand
Jun 6, 2009, 01:04 PM

Great example, people forget that Apple is also trying to position the App store as a gaming platform, and $10 is a great value compared to similar offerings from Nintendo and Sony variants.

Also keep in mind that the iPhone has a faster processor than that of a PSP (the PSP is 300mhz, if I am remember correctly)

Shorties
Jun 7, 2009, 04:23 PM

Joel.

That sounds like a problem I had about 6 months ago with super monkey ball. I actually had SMB working for a while and then all of a sudden it stopped working and nothing I could think of fixed it.

What ended being the problem was something to do with my international keyboard. Try going to Settings>General>International and make sure you only have the english (With the United States Region Format) keyboard enabled, if you do then just switch it to another language and then switch it back. Try it now if that doesn't work try restarting the device and trying it, and if that doesn't work try going to Settings>General>Keyboard, and switch the international keyboards there and try restarting. I dont know if this is your problem but I had so many issues with this on specific programs and no one could help me because I guess it just isnt as common of a problem, so you might as well just try that. Especially cause it sounds like you bought it in europe, just mess with the international settings until it works. It might still work if you change your international settings back to how they were originally before the switch, it did for me after I got SMB working.

jakeacc
Jun 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
In general, when you are about to purchase a memory-intensive App such as Sims 3, you should always download it from your COMPUTER and then sync it to your iPhone/iPod. Downloading these Apps straight from your iPhone have caused a lot of crashing errors.

My Sims3 has played super smoothly and has only crashed once. (and I've been playing it at least an hour/day since it was released in the App Store) I think it crashed because I was playing it while also listening to music. When I turned off my song, I no longer experienced that problem.

This game is very polished and probably the best game I've played on the iPhone thus far. You can slide your finger across the screen to roam around the world and there is no lag. The loading screens only occur when you need to travel to and from town and those last about 5 seconds.

Not sure what the game will be like when running on the iPhone 3.0 software, but I'm assuming EA will release a patch after 3.0 comes out to enable the new game features. (or those features may already be in the current game and will be enabled once it detects the 3.0 software)

Anyways, I definitely recommend this game. It's not as buggy as the App Store reviews say. (I'm assuming most of the reviewers downloaded straight from their phone or didn't do a proper reset - which EA states on the download page)

tjhilder
Jun 10, 2009, 07:31 PM
I did a hard restart and it works for me, but it does tend to quit at times.

wish there was more content on it though.

PhixionFilms
Jun 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
This keeps crashing for me :(

benpatient
Jun 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
from what I can tell, they should have called it "The Sims 1.5"

JohnFa
Jun 12, 2009, 04:10 AM
BUTTTTTTTTTT!
I was thinking..... Why would they release this version now when they previously stated that it will be released when the 3.0 software is released?
Does this in fact mean that we will be seeing the new 3.0 software emerging here in the near future??Well all the same I really like the game.

I never heard anyone saying it would be relased when 3.0 was released. What I read was that it would be released together with the release of your PC/Mac/Console, which was 2 June.

Patrick J
Jun 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
Also keep in mind that the iPhone has a faster processor than that of a PSP (the PSP is 300mhz, if I am remember correctly) (PSP is 222/333 mhz selectable. )

So? It's impossible to do direct comparisons between both devices:

iPhone 3Gs uses an ARM Cortex A8 while PSP uses a MIPS processor. Comparing different CPUs based on different architectures on clock speed alone isn't really a good way to go about the comparison. It's faulty. Still, the Cortex A8 at 600MHz is certainly much more powerful than the PSP's MIPS core. Especially with the modern, advanced new SIMD engine.

However, the pixel fill rate and poly count on the PSP are far greater. Even so, the problem with direct comparisons between the specs in regards to PSP's poly count and fill rate and a PowerVR GPU's is that the PowerVR solution uses that tile based deferred rendering which effectively increases poly count and fill rate (only rendering that which is seen/not obscured by another object).

SBlue1
Jun 17, 2009, 04:20 AM

10 $ is a lot for an iPhone app, considering there is no box, no printed manual, no cd or chip where the data is saved at, no stockpiling of products in a store, no wasted unsold boxes anywhere, no transportation cost, way larger selling numbers and no piracy.

FrogTastic
Jun 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
Keeps crashing - 5.99 is abit pricey for an app that keeps crashing.