PDA

View Full Version : Burn midi to CD?

masterjedi73
May 8, 2004, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone.

Is there a way to burn midi files to CD through iTunes or another program? Thanks!

kaylee
May 9, 2004, 03:55 AM
It depends on whether you are wanting it to be a midi file on the cd or whether you want it to be able to play back in a normal cd player (ie be in redbook audio format or MP3 if you have players that support it). Midi file: just burn it as a data CD. Redbook audio format: import the song into itunes, make sure you have the encoder set to WAV or MP3 (whichever one you are using) under preferences -> importing, add the midi file to your library, then select it and then go to advanced -> convert selection to ... Then you will have a WAV/MP3 file that you can burn to disk using itunes.

WinterMute
May 9, 2004, 07:19 AM
MIDI-files are just control data, you need a synth to re-create the music that the MIDI information describes. The QT GM synth works OK.

You'll need to get the MIDI-file connected to something like Reason or Logic, set up the sounds and the mix you want, and then bounce the AUDIO output of that package to an .aiff file.

You can then throw that at iTunes and burn your CD, redbook, MP3 or otherwise.

You won't get far just sticking the MIDI-file into iTunes.

kaylee
May 26, 2004, 04:03 AM
MIDI-files are just control data, you need a synth to re-create the music that the MIDI information describes. The QT GM synth works OK.

You'll need to get the MIDI-file connected to something like Reason or Logic, set up the sounds and the mix you want, and then bounce the AUDIO output of that package to an .aiff file.

You can then throw that at iTunes and burn your CD, redbook, MP3 or otherwise.

You won't get far just sticking the MIDI-file into iTunes.

I have actually successfully used iTunes to open a midi file and convert to WAV, so that is why i have suggested it as an option (i had a music assignment, which i composed using Finale, output it as midi as that is the only audio format composing programs support, and then used iTunes to convert it so i could submit a cd that could be played in a 'normal' stereo system).

WinterMute
May 26, 2004, 05:10 PM
I have actually successfully used iTunes to open a midi file and convert to WAV, so that is why i have suggested it as an option (i had a music assignment, which i composed using Finale, output it as midi as that is the only audio format composing programs support, and then used iTunes to convert it so i could submit a cd that could be played in a 'normal' stereo system).

OK, but that isn't a MIDI file, it's an audio file created from a MIDI composition in Finale, the audio has to come from somewhere, in this case Finales audio generating systems. MIDI has no audio componant, its just control data.

The file you converted with iTunes was an audio file.

QuickTime will play midi-files, as long as the QuickTime synth is installed, I wonder if iTunes can access the QT synth....

I think I might go have a play with that idea.

edit: OK, I had a look in iTunes, it won't recognise a MIDI file, and certainly won't play one, even when it will play in QT.

I still think you have an audio file there and any MIDI was played out as audio prior to importing into iTunes.

3rdKidney
May 29, 2004, 10:28 PM
One quick way to tell what type of file it is, is to look at it's size. If it's a WAV or AIFF file and is stereo, CD quality, you're looking at 10Meg/minute. A midi file will only be a few kbytes tops. Even an mp3 file of decient quality will weigh in at a Meg or so a minute.

In general I agree with every one else. Midi is only control data and iTunes can't play it or convert it into audio. Although, that's a great suggestion for Apple considering they make iTunes and QT.

tjwett
May 30, 2004, 04:43 AM
wrong. iTunes plays MIDI files just fine. it uses the QuickTime general MIDI synth built into all our computers. it also converts them to audio no problem.