PDA

View Full Version : 12" Rev C Powerbook: Fan noise

steadyeddie
May 8, 2004, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. However, I'm a bit annoyed with the sound of the fan, especially when it's running at its slowest speed. It makes a kind of quiet growling sound as it rotates, which I find quite irritating in a quiet environment. I actually find the sound less annoying when it ramps up to a higher speed, when the "growling" goes away.

Is this normal? Do other people's new 12" Powerbook fans make a similar noise? It's not loud at all, just annoying. I'm wondering if this is just the nature of the fan used in the PB, or if mine is defective.

Ed.

superbovine
May 8, 2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook. However, I'm a bit annoyed with the sound of the fan, especially when it's running at its slowest speed. It makes a kind of quiet growling sound as it rotates, which I find quite irritating in a quiet environment. I actually find the sound less annoying when it ramps up to a higher speed, when the "growling" goes away.

Is this normal? Do other people's new 12" Powerbook fans make a similar noise? It's not loud at all, just annoying. I'm wondering if this is just the nature of the fan used in the PB, or if mine is defective.

Ed.

get a laptop cooler or podium of some sort, then fan will kick on less.

JOD8FY
May 8, 2004, 06:25 PM
I'd have someone check that out. My Rev. B 12" PB has no "growling" noises with the fan at all. Take it to your local Apple Store, or call Applecare.

Good Luck,
JOD8FY

yoda13
May 8, 2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that is not right, my Rev. A doesn't even make that much noise, and it certainly doesn't growl, so I would have someone check that out. That can't be normal.

josepho
May 9, 2004, 03:39 AM
Well, I have the rev C, 1.33, 768MB, 60GB and am certainly not experiencing that. My fan doesn't come on that often, mainly when I'm using it in bed and it's just lying on top of the duvet... not exactly the ideal location for good cooling. At times it comes on if I'm at my desk and it's plugged in to the mains, but not that often.

When the fan ain't on, it's quiet as hell, with little whirrs of the HDD being about the only noise.

Cheers, and g'luck!

steadyeddie
May 9, 2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have it looked at.

win_convert
May 10, 2004, 06:41 AM
Someone said that the 12" didnt even have a fan, but that would be silly.

7on
May 10, 2004, 08:34 AM
yeah, my Tibook's fans are quite loud (1ghz). Low it's fine. More of a purring if you will. Though at the highest it sounds loud and noisy. I was thinking of taking it to Applecare and I did a google search, turns out this is a common issue people have had with the Ti, purring low fan, rough metal scraping loud fan. Generally the low fan stays on all the time because my room is fairly warm and the Bookendz Dock partly blocks a fan.

steadyeddie
May 10, 2004, 09:14 AM
yeah, my Tibook's fans are quite loud (1ghz). Low it's fine. More of a purring if you will. Though at the highest it sounds loud and noisy. I was thinking of taking it to Applecare and I did a google search, turns out this is a common issue people have had with the Ti, purring low fan, rough metal scraping loud fan. Generally the low fan stays on all the time because my room is fairly warm and the Bookendz Dock partly blocks a fan.

Yeah, I would probably describe mine as a purring sound too. So it sounds like it's probably normal.

Cheers,
Ed.

Digidesign
May 10, 2004, 03:48 PM
Quick question - how can you tell if your PB is Rev A, Rev B, or Rev C? By build date?

JonGraves
May 10, 2004, 04:13 PM
Quick question - how can you tell if your PB is Rev A, Rev B, or Rev C? By build date?

Easiest way is by processor speed:

Rev A: 867 MHz
Rev B: 1 GHz
Rev C: 1.33 GHz

Jon

Digidesign
May 10, 2004, 04:48 PM
ah ok thanks,... wasn't sure if there were multiple revs of the same CPU speed :)