PDA

View Full Version : Tips To Optimise Jaguar For Low RAM iBook

bobbytomorow
Jun 2, 2009, 08:07 PM
I just bought an iBook G3 500MHz with 192MB of RAM for $80 (thing is completely mint too) anyway I performed a clean install of 10.3.9. Are there any tips to speed up the OS aside from the obvious of getting more RAM?

Thanks!

Skeletal-dæmon
Jun 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
With 192MB you should be okay actually. Jaguar requires 128 minimum, and was always pretty nippy even with the minimum amount. If you really want to gain a small amount of speed back, use Activity Monitor to hunt down unused processes and kill them, and if you're sure you'll never need them delete the associated app too.

Congrats on the iBook purchase!

Burning Radio
Jun 2, 2009, 08:58 PM
I just bought an iBook G3 500MHz with 192MB of RAM for $80 (thing is completely mint too) anyway I performed a clean install of 10.3.9. Are there any tips to speed up the OS aside from the obvious of getting more RAM?

Thanks!

Retro! :cool:

NewMacbookPlz
Jun 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
If you're running 10.3.9, that's Panther. Jaguar was 10.2.x

RAM is the only thing you can do. If you have 64MB built-in on-board, you can upgrade upto 576MB with a 512MB DIMM. If you have 128MB on-board, you can take it upto 640MB with that same DIMM.

bobbytomorow
Jun 3, 2009, 02:39 AM
With 192MB you should be okay actually. Jaguar requires 128 minimum, and was always pretty nippy even with the minimum amount. If you really want to gain a small amount of speed back, use Activity Monitor to hunt down unused processes and kill them, and if you're sure you'll never need them delete the associated app too.

Congrats on the iBook purchase!

Yeah its not too bad actually although youtube kills it lol, but I will do what you suggested, thanks!

Retro! :cool:

Yes! I have a MBP unibody too but I love the look of the old iBooks, so tiny @12", looks like an actual book :D

If you're running 10.3.9, that's Panther. Jaguar was 10.2.x

RAM is the only thing you can do. If you have 64MB built-in on-board, you can upgrade upto 576MB with a 512MB DIMM. If you have 128MB on-board, you can take it upto 640MB with that same DIMM.

Yes, you are right its actually Panther I meant to say :P

bobbytomorow
Jun 4, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well I actually came across a piece of 256MB SODIMM and threw it in the iBook, and installed Tiger. Its actually not to shabby, its no super computer lol but it makes a half decent netbook and music player.

Now I am on the hunt for some old school games and apps :D

NewMacbookPlz
Jun 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
Well I actually came across a piece of 256MB SODIMM and threw it in the iBook, and installed Tiger. Its actually not to shabby, its no super computer lol but it makes a half decent netbook and music player.

Now I am on the hunt for some old school games and apps :D

SNES emulator is always fun on an old laptop :D

bobbytomorow
Jun 5, 2009, 02:41 AM
haha WIN!

love me some Chrono Trigger